Respironics Auto CPAP vs Respironics BiPap Manual

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Respironics Auto CPAP vs Respironics BiPap Manual

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:44 pm

15 in one hour...hmmm are you sure he wasn't awake during that period of time?

Were the others hours okay? It is odd to have a horrible 1 hour and not much the other hours. Not impossible but a bit odd.

BiPap Auto would be a sweet machine.. give him the best of both worlds. The BiPap comfort and the auto function that would ease your mind.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Dear Pugsy ,

Am posting the BIPAP chart here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74904217@N03/6787698148/

Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Ah...a couple of times AHI spike up with the last spike was pretty larged.
Did you dad lay in bad for a while after he woke before he got of out bed.
Ask him...it is important. Was there any awake or semi awake time during those to time frames.
Rest of the night was pretty much minimal activity.

Does he sleep on his back.?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Dear Pugsy,

He does not remember he says whether he was awake or semi awake in that period .

I had put the Auto cpap again last night and the readings are back to normal in that - an average AHI of 1.2 and with one period going upto 4.

He has minimal sleep on his back - he says in an entire night maybe 30 minutes.

Am going to also try the Auto Bipap - What settings should I put that on ? The auto Cpap I put 8.50- 15

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Auto BiBap and not straight bipap?

Use the same settings that you use for the regular apap range.

That would give you a very close approximation to apap range and then work on adjustments from those findings. May not need any or much.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Dear Pugsy,

Straight BiPAP has kind of scared me with that chart I showed you- though I suspect he must have been semi awake at the time as he usually gets up at 5.15 - but he does not remember. Whats the connection of being semi awake and large AHI ? I have earlier tried this straight bipap too on him and never had this high reading so I am guessing there is some aberration here.

I am thinking since this is a lifelong thing to live with now and since I can afford it - why not the auto bipap.

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 pm

If we are awake or semi awake we often do things with our breathing that the machine falsely called events. When I see the bulk of the night quite acceptable and an ugly hour..it is possibly that the ugly hour wasn't "real" sleep. Of course it could be REM sleep or supine sleeping also.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 am

Dear Pugsy,

So i have got the AUTO BIPAP finally to try on dad. On the auto CPAP I have been using a range of 8.5 to 15 . That is giving good results with AHI's around 1. Most of the pressure range is around 8.5 and max it goes sometimes for short periods is 13.

What pressure settings on the Auto Bipap should I use ??

Also, how is your mom ??

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 pm

heartchakra wrote: What pressure settings on the Auto Bipap should I use ??

Also, how is your mom ??
Use the same pressures on the BiPap as you did the APAP....it will want PS..Pressure Support..
Give 4 a try. That is what is pretty standard for most people.
When it starts out...if you watch the pressure....on inhale you will see 2 cm more than what the exhale pressure is which will be the minimum pressure you set. It is the way the auto Bipap works. As the night progresses and events drive the pressure up the inhale and exhale will go up as needed but you won't see it unless you watch it all night.

My mom is doing some better. She was stable enough to have her gall bladder removal surgery today and when I left a little while ago she was being rather grouchy... which is a good sign. When she feels horrible...too sick to complain...so grouchy means she is getting back to normal.
If all goes well....home by the weekend. Need to get her to be able to eat and keep food down without abdominal pain from the pancreas..so we will see how tomorrow goes.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

Dear Pugsy,

A bit confused. On Apap I put the range from 8.5 to 15. So on BiPAP what number should I put on the IPAP and on the EPAP ?

Glad your mom is doing better )

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:57 am

Treat the EPAP pressure like the APAP pressure minimum.
Treat the IPAP pressure like the APAP pressure maximum.

So EPAP at 8.5 and IPAP at 15 maximum. Pressure support at 4 cm (something the APAP didn't offer). When machine is started...you will see 8.5 cm on the screen during exhale and 10.5 cm on inhale. It will stay that way until apnea events cause the machine to raise the pressures like it does with the APAP...and then go up with the maximum IPAP being 15 cm which is like the APAP maximum and won't go any higher than that though your dad didn't need 15.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 am

Dear Pugsy,

How is your mom now ?

Is it advisable to have the ramp on the autp cpap which i am using for dad ? I have kept it at 5 minutes but I notice most of his OA's happen around the time he wears his machine again after going to the bathroom at night. During that small ramp period 2-4 apneas seem to have ( the AHI's ) ......do most people use ramp or should I remove it ?

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Deepak,

My mom is home recuperating from her gall bladder removal surgery. Weak but getting stronger every day. Doing pretty well considering all things. Thank you for asking.

Ramp is a personal choice. I never use it. Never seem to need to. Yes in theory the time spent at the lower pressure during ramp could possibly allow some apnea events to occur but 5 minutes in ramp isn't going to make a huge impact on the data or therapy. I suspect that most likely the
"events" that are scored very early in the sleep time or when your dad gets up to go to the bathroom and then lays back down, are more than likely "awake" events (or semi awake) that the machine senses due to us actually not being asleep. We breathe more erratically while awake and sometimes these machines sense something that really isn't a real apnea. So if your dad lays awake for a short while after masking up...this might also explain any events seen straight away.
Mostly we just ignore those events. They mess with the overall AHI a bit but not much we can do about it. If the rest of the time is acceptable...it really is no worry at all. Since your dad's overall AHI is still quite acceptable, even with the maybe "awake" events in the mix, they are really a non issue and not worth worrying about. So ramp of 5 minutes doesn't really factor in very much...now a 30 minute ramp..that might.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 am

Dear Pugsy ,

Since the last 2 days dad's hyponea events seem to have increased. Prior to the last 2 days they were lesser and more spaced out. I am attaching the chart from yesterday. Could you please have a look. Should I just wait and see if these events continue for every night ? His average AHI reading ranges from 0.3- 1.5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74904217@N ... otostream/

Thanks so much . Keeping your mom in my prayers

Love,
Deepak

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Those are nothing to worry about at all. Not enough of an increase to matter.
Sometimes I think we almost run in some sort of cycle...really good for a while and then maybe not so pretty but still very acceptable.. Don't worry about minor fluctuations in the AHI...he is well below 5 an hour and has lots of wiggle room before we would even think about worrying over the few events that are occurring. I can guarantee that your dad doesn't/can't tell any difference in the quality of sleep between a night with AHI less than 1 and a night with AHI of 1.5.

Below are some examples of my nights. I see very low AHI nights up to 3 often...and sometimes some really ugly nights like my last image here.
Here a recent night.

and another...please ignore the ugly leak line..testing new mask headgear.

and a fairly ugly event night. Uncommon for me but this night my back was acting up a bit and I just had a restless night all around.