Wife complains of Noise - Mouth Leakage? Hybrid Masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Wife complains of Noise - Mouth Leakage? Hybrid Masks?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm

I used a CPAP unit a few years back and got some relief from it (AHI 16), though my wife said that it was too noisy and always slept in the other room. She could never tell me what part was noisy.

I had another sleep study and my AHI is not 39! So I'm going back on the CPAP, though wondered how people like the Hybrid nose pillow and mouth masks?

I really don't want to start sleeping in separate rooms.

Help.

Thanks!

BlackSpinner

Re: Wife complains of Noise - Mouth Leakage? Hybrid Masks?

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:47 pm

What machine? You can hardly hear mine (Resmed S8). The air conditioner makes more noise.

Basically tell her to suck it up or get a set of ear plugs. Your health is more important . Would she prefer to change your diapers after a stroke?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:49 pm

The newer machines are quieter. If you can get a new machine, try it out and see what she thinks. If she still thinks that it's loud, have her work with you to pinpoint what the source of the noise is and see if it can be fixed.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a REMstar Plus M Series Model 200M.

I just recently (not used yet) got a heated humidifier for it, I'm hoping that helps with the noise too...

I'm thinking that I was leaking air out my mouth as I only have a nasal mask at the moment. I snore and have a stuffy nose most of the time, so I'm not sure why they put me on a Nasal only type mask.

Thanks,

snoringshrink

Post by snoringshrink » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:42 pm

My wife's and my machines combined don't make as much noise as our ceiling fan.

-- Make a fast friend...Adopt a greyhound!
-- visit http://greyhoundadoption.org

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Attaching the humidifier will make the machine quieter - at least it does for my PR S1, which is very similar to the machine you have. Unfortunately, with your machine you can only tell if you have used it - you will not be able to get access to any information about leaks. If you have an opportunity to get a new machine, do so. If you stay with Respironics (now Phillips-Respironics, or PR), get a machine with Pro in the name (not Plus) or an Auto-adjusting machine. You will get a lot of information to help with trouble-shooting from the Pro machines.

I found it very hard to tell if the noise was leakage from my mouth or from the mask being dislodged during the night as I moved. I think the secret is that if you have a dry mouth in the morning, you are breathing through your mouth. No dry mouth = leaks from the mask not sealing properly. A chin strap really does help with keeping the mouth closed.

As for the nasal mask, if the pressure is right and you are keeping your mouth closed, the nasal mask works well. I used the nasal mask a few nights ago. Although the bridge of my nose was sore, the leak rate was actually lower than with the nasal pillows. AHI was about the same (1.5-2.0). But it actually felt like more air was getting into my nostrils. Maybe subjective, but I'll take it. I just need a new mask because the current one is 2 years old (not been using it all that time!).

I can't comment on full face or hybrid masks because I have not found one that I can work with - partly my beard, partly my facial structure, probably partly laziness, and partly that the nasal mask or pillows work well. Others have had more success, I know.

The key to finding the solution to your "challenges" with CPAP is to be really persistent in following up with all clues you read about, and having your wife help with the troubleshooting. Even if it means putting the mask on in the evening when everyone is awake so that they can comment on where the noise may be coming from.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

I use a mirage liberty hybrid and i definitely have issues with leaks no matter how I adjust I still see leaks on my data even when i felt like i had a full night with a tight fit on my mask. go figure.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am

You need to use the machine for your health.
Your wife needs to be able to sleep. She may or may not be able to get used to the noise.
Earplugs don't always work well enough (trust me), but worth trying (get the foam ones).
SLEEPING in separate bedrooms is not the end of the world.

The InnoMed Hybrid is the only mask I use, the only one that really works for me. Now, my pressure is 8.5. My husband's pressure is 19 and he can't use the Hybrid at all, and he really would like to. It leaks too much for him; perfect for me. The Resmed Liberty is s similar mask. My husband tried that one, too, and it didn't work at his pressure. It doesn't work for me either.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:07 am

Do you gag or snore with your apnea? I would think that is much nosier than a machine. The machines have gotten much quieter in the recent years, and my wife says she doesn't hear mine except when I adjust the mask and a little air may leak out.

John

scooter133

Post by scooter133 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be starting the unit up again on the 2nd. I'll be on a business trip so I'll try to get it all dialed in while I'm there and hopefully when return I should have the leakage down and minimized!

Thanks again!

FarmGirl

Post by FarmGirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Do you have a beard?

My husband has been on CPAP for nearly 4 years and uses the RespCare Hybrid Universal Full Face Mask and Headgear. He also has a full beard and moustache. His preferred length is a #2-3 comb (depending on season). When it gets too long, he has seal problems, generally around the chin. It is resolved by tightening the headgear or getting a trim (preferred).

scooter133

Post by scooter133 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 am

No Beard, here... Well Today there is stubble from vacation, but typically no.

I can get a sample Full Face Mask on the 10th, though my Dr Office does not have the Hybrid. I have to wait my 3 months before I can reorder a new mask via DME. I can get a new machine in the Summer.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:30 am

scooter133 wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be starting the unit up again on the 2nd. I'll be on a business trip so I'll try to get it all dialed in while I'm there and hopefully when return I should have the leakage down and minimized!

Thanks again!
Why are you waiting until the 2nd to go back on the unit? Do it now.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Use a white noise machine to block the sound.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

scooter133

Post by scooter133 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:54 am

Perrybucsdad wrote:Why are you waiting until the 2nd to go back on the unit? Do it now.
I know, This week we were on Vacation (poor Excuse) and I'm leaving for a Business trip on the 1st, so I was going bring it with me and get things dialed in while I'm at the Hotel. Try to work out any leak issues, get the Humidifier figured out (first time I've used one), etc. Another Poor Excuse.

Though the real reason is my wife is getting Pissy about me using the CPAP again. Thinks it is something that will just make me more dependent on keeping using it. Wants me to find another solution. From my research, this is the place to start. Especially with CSA (Central Sleep Apnea) and not OSA. I think out of the 480 events, only 10 were Apnea, the rest was just my body slowing down the breathing. I told her to do her own research and find out for herself...

I'm at the point now that if it really bothers her that much and she does not want me to get well, she can sleep where ever else she wants to.

Scott<-