Advice on fixing Respironics humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erinome

Advice on fixing Respironics humidifier?

Post by Erinome » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:30 pm

The humidifier on my Respironics humidifier has stopped working, and I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone familiar with it.

The blue light atop the dial is blinking. The manual says the humidifier is not properly communicating with the therapy device:

(page 20) http://www.directhomemedical.com/pdf/re ... manual.pdf

I can't figure out how to detach the therapy device from the humidifier, to try to reattach it properly. Any advice?

I don't have health insurance and am hoping to avoid a costly (and 60-mile round trip) to my provider for diagnosis and repair. They won't help diagnose it over the phone.

Thanks.
PS: Yes, I've first searched this site to see if this problem was already addressed.

Pugsy

Re: Advice on fixing Respironics humidifier?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:41 pm

First of all make sure the lid is completely closed.. I have had that happen when lid didn't close and snap like it should.

To disengage the humidifier from the machine...turn it over so that you can read all the stickers...
on the right side..just to the right of the RX sticker on the humidifier..is a moveable slot about 1 in wide by 4 in long. It will slide outward and disengage the humidifier. So just slide it to your right if you are looking at the RX sticker.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 am

Don't turn your machine over unless the water tank is out BTW, or you could ruin the machine altogether!!!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Call your equipment provider sorry it's a problem If it's broken you need a new one, how could they diagnose it over the phone?
Did you read the clinical manual available from apneaboard.com?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 pm

If you can't make the humidifier heater work, you can use it without heat, but you'll get less humidity. Fill the water tank and you'll get SOME humidity. You can probably unplug the power to the humidifier by changing the cables on the back.

That sounds like an M series Respironics machine. If so, there is a little fitting you need to use it without the humidifier attached, but as I said, it will work with a dead unpowered humidifier.

Respironics no longer sells that model. You may not be able to get a replacement humidifier.

I believe there was a recall for some M Series heated humidifiers.

Don't let the DME rip you off too badly for the repair. You can get a brand new Respironics PRS1 Auto machine with humidifier from our sponsor CPAP.com for under $700, and it's a MUCH better machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Mary Z wrote:Call your equipment provider sorry it's a problem If it's broken you need a new one, how could they diagnose it over the phone?
HOGWASH!!!!

They should have walked her through the process of unplugging everything and disconnecting and reconnecting the humidifier before making her drive 60 miles to look at it. If it's just a loose connection, it could save her a trip.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm

OOPS, I see that IS a REMstar M series. There's no latch. Take the tank out, and then lift up on the front of the blower unit, which sits on top of the humidifier unit.

Useful Links.

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Pugsy, thanks very much -- the door was indeed loose. I fiddled with it and last night it all worked fine. The door still doesn't seem to want to go down completely over the water level window, but it's working for now.

A big help. Thanks again.

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Mary Z wrote:
<<Call your equipment provider sorry it's a problem If it's broken you need a new one, how could they diagnose it over the phone?
Did you read the clinical manual available from apneaboard.com?>>

Mary, I simply asked the tech what the blinking light meant, and he acted like he had no idea. I eventually found a manual and, with the help of Pugsy's reply above, resolved the problem.

I don't have health insurance or a lot of money and can't simply take my machine in for every little problem. (If you don't know what it's like not to have insurance you probably won't understand.) I'm annoyed that the tech wouldn't even discuss the problem, or offer me a manual (I asked), and he seemed only to want to get me into their shop so he could bill me. Nor could he tell me what such an appointment would cost, and said he would have his office call me with that information, but 36 hours later no one has yet called.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I am glad it was the loose lid because I didn't read well enough to know you had a M series machine and I gave you directions on how to dismantle the System One machine. Sorry, my bad.

Don't know why the lid will not close like it should. I have used the M series machines and other than minor not closing because I didn't pay attention, I didn't have any issues with it not wanting to close fully when I pressed it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.