crazy dreams during sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
freeloveknitter

crazy dreams during sleep

Post by freeloveknitter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I have been using my CPAP machine and I notice I am having some crazy off the wall dreams which I am assume is when I am in a deep REM sleep. The respiratory therapist said it was "good" that I was dreaming. Any suggestions, I do try to not eat too late before I go to sleep as well.

Thanks

freeloveknitter

Re: crazy dreams during sleep

Post by freeloveknitter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm

I forgot to add that I use the RESMED with nasal pillows.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Your not alone.Since switching to nasal mask I have been getting a better sleep.But,boy dream's.Had one that I had pulled the CPAP machine of the stand & also someone was messing with my alarm clock.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:20 pm

freeloveknitter wrote:I have been using my CPAP machine and I notice I am having some crazy off the wall dreams which I am assume is when I am in a deep REM sleep. The respiratory therapist said it was "good" that I was dreaming. Any suggestions, I do try to not eat too late before I go to sleep as well.

Thanks
What does your data say? Are you having apneas during REM?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm the exact opposite.
Before cpap, I would dream I was running,
and trying to finish huge, impossible tasks.
I always woke up breathless, my heart racing.
Since therapy, no more running, no hurrying,
No more waking up with my brain making up stories to explain the way I felt.
When I do remember my dreams, now they are just mildly entertaining.
It's OK.

Kody

Post by Kody » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Sorry your dreams are "Crazy" ones. I have been dreaming up a storm lately myself. Nothing very Crazy though, expect a bad elevator dream. It was broken down and stopped between floors while we were waiting for someone to rescue us. One Male passenger started panicking and shaking the elevator back and forth. I warned him that if he continued to do so I would make sure he was unconscious until they fixed it again. I never was a big fan of elevators....

There are also some medications that can cause very vivid dreams as well. Hopefully they will improve for you.
Complex Sleep Apnea

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 pm

freeloveknitter wrote:I forgot to add that I use the RESMED with nasal pillows.
Welcome to the forum.

Could you please add your specific equipment to your profile so we can easily see at a glance what you are using. See my equipment at the bottom of my post?
If you don't know how to edit your profile to add the equipment this explains how wiki/index.php/Registering_Equipment_in_User_Profile

We don't really have much control over our dreams. They say we only remember them if we happen to awaken during one. The fact that you dream is good but if you are remembering a lot of dreams perhaps something is disturbing your sleep...like an apnea event perhaps.

If you are lucky your machine is a full data machine and you can use ResScan or SleepyHead software to make sure that everything is okay in the treatment part of the night. Some people aren't given full data machines though. Some are given machines that only data it gathers is hours of use. You don't want one of those machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I too noticed vivid, crazy dreams the first month or so, and it made sense to me that, whatever function dreams truly do perform, that I had some serious catchiing up to do after decades of poor quality sleep with very little REM. For whatever it might be worth, as time went on and my sleep has become sounder, I rarely awake at night, and so I am barely aware of my dreams any more. Perhaps it will also be so for you, in which case just give it time.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:39 pm

I found that once my sleep deficit was taken care of I had less wild dreams and more 'normal' ones. : )

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Yes I think we all go through that.I dont seem to be dreaming anymore now.

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:20 pm

The first time on Bi-PAP that I realized that I had dreamed was pretty exciting. I knew that I had gotten some good sleep. It took me about 20 months to adjust to sleeping on Bi-PAP without Ambien. (I've written about that here.) Again, the first time that I realized that I had dreamed without sleeping pills was very thrilling to me. It confirmed to me that my machine was doing its job of keeping me full of oxygen, allowing my brain to do its job of, among other things, dreaming slightly to very weird things. I will frequently mention to my wife that I know I dreamed but that I can't remember what they were about. Just know that I have been dreaming is very reassuring to me. Also, I usually feel a bit better the next day, I guess because I slept better.

Best wishes,
Tony

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm

I enjoy a good dream as much as a good movie but I keep having the common reoccurring dream, that I'm back in school and i haven't done an important assignment, prepared for a test, or attended a class all semester I think I have that one a couple of times a week.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: I always woke up breathless, my heart racing.
From what I've read, when you dream, your body doesn't know it's a dream.

To your body, all dreams are utterly real.

Pugsy wrote: We don't really have much control over our dreams.
With some practice, it is possible to "wake up" within a dream and realized you are dreaming.

I did this myself some years ago.

You have to remember to look down at your hands or your feet in the dream.

Then, suddenly, you realize that you are dreaming, and you can now become the director of your dream.

People who are bad to you in a dream can get their just rewards.

When I had this skill (lasted for a month or two, some years ago, now it's gone) I would wake up happy and refreshed.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:47 pm

I had crazy dreams before CPAP and still have crazy dreams using CPAP. The only difference with the dreams was that pre CPAP they were really violent and now with CPAP they're just really weird.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Controlling your dreams is called "lucid dreaming" for anyone who want's to do more research.

I'd be afraid of going too wild in a dream for fear that I wasn't really dreaming