Too complicated in the middle of the night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tnbarbara

Too complicated in the middle of the night

Post by Tnbarbara » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 am

I know there are zillions of mask threads, but I haven't found the answer to this. I am miserable. Inevitetably in the middle of the night, I get up to go to the bathroom (not getting any younger). Half awake, I pull off my mask, and then either straps come undone or the pillow comes off. Then I am stuck in the middle of the night, in the dark (don't want to wake my husband), trying to reassemble. Many nights (like last) i am then up the rest of the night, or just give up and go sleep on the couch i can get used to any type mask I think, but need one where the pillow doesn't come unattached or if it does you can reattach with your eyes shut, and there aren't a zillion straps that you have to be a geometry whiz to figure out. My provider was of zero help. Can anyone out there give me some suggestions?

Mary Z

Re: Too complicated in the middle of the night

Post by Mary Z » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 am

Don't take the mask off- turn the machine off and disconnect the hose from the mask.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am

I don't know what mask you are using. You can list your equipment in the user control panel. Please list it in text format.
Sometimes I just disconnect the short hose from the long hose and leave the mask on to go to the bathroom. I put a little glycerine in the hose connectors so they come apart easier.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 am

DON'T take the mask off....Turn off the CPAP and disconnect the hose. When you get back hook up the hose and turn on the CPAP.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 am

What others have said....don't take your mask off. I just turn off my machine, unhook my hose from my mask and head for the bathroom.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

Ditto what the others have said. I rarely get up for a bathroom visit any more, but if I do, just turn off the machine and remove the hose from my mask.

Cheers,
xena

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Tnbarbara wrote:i can get used to any type mask I think, but need one where the pillow doesn't come unattached or if it does you can reattach with your eyes shut, and there aren't a zillion straps that you have to be a geometry whiz to figure out. My provider was of zero help. Can anyone out there give me some suggestions?
Since you are currently using a nasal pillows mask, I'd suggest the very minimalist Resmed Swift Fx pillows mask. Two straps total. And worn very, very loose. At least for me, it's easy to pull off and put back on without any adjusting of the straps at all. Note that I do use a full headgear fleece cover/pad from Padacheek that covers the entire silicone top strap*. Without that fleece cover the silicone strap would sometimes get caught in my very curly hair and I'd have to yank pretty hard to pull the mask off. Usually there was damage to my hair, but the straps would remain in place and correctly set. And there seems to be almost no chance of the pillows coming undone from the silicone strap when you simply take the mask off---at least for me. And in a pinch you can get the pillows back onto the mask by feel.

As for the suggestions to keep the mask on and simply disconnect the (small) hose: That doesn't work for me because my main hose cozy goes over that small hose connection to the large hose. And disconnecting the pillows from the small hose is far more trouble than simply slipping the Swift Fx nasal pillows mask on and off. Heck: I almost never need to adjust the straps except when I'm putting on a clean headgear pad from Padacheek, which I do about once every week or two.

*NOTE: Padacheek has made me two of these custom-designed fleece covers/pads for the entire silicone strap for the Swift Fx in the last year. I don't see them on her web site today. I was so impressed with the first one that I ordered a second so that one could be in the dirty laundry for a week while I had the second one on my mask. I am truly impressed with Padacheek's design work and these custom-made pads were reasonably priced. The time from order to delivery was also very quick---particularly when you consider that the first time I ordered one, it may have been the first time she designed such a pad. I cannot get over just how big of a difference these pads have made in wearing the mask every night!

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:00 pm

The only thing I want to add to the above suggestions of leaving the mask on and detaching the hose is that I also have added a quick coupler from CPAP.com to make removing the hose from my Humidifier a lot easier. The coupler comes off of the Humidifier outlet elbow with just a twist whereas using just the rubber connector on the hose was frustrating as it would stick on tightly and take longer to remove it (I also didn’t want to damage the rubber connector on the hose either by aggressively twisting it in a sleepy stupor). I currently run my hose straight off of the humidifier and just snuggle with it, so for me now it is easier than those who would have to be detaching from a more involved hose system or design.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hose-q ... nnect.html

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Here is a different perspective on this...

Remove the mask from your long tubing.
Sit down and relax.
Put the mask on.
Take it off.
Shut your eyes and put it on again.
Repeat until you can do it with your eyes shut.

When you wake up in the middle of the night, you will be a little groggy, but if you have practiced enough, you will find it fairly easy to put your mask back on.

I will also second the recommendation to try the Swift FX. If you find that mask comfortable and if it works for you, putting it on and taking it off is very simple.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:The only thing I want to add to the above suggestions of leaving the mask on and detaching the hose is that I also have added a quick coupler from CPAP.com to make removing the hose from my Humidifier a lot easier. The coupler comes off of the Humidifier outlet elbow with just a twist whereas using just the rubber connector on the hose was frustrating as it would stick on tightly and take longer to remove it (I also didn’t want to damage the rubber connector on the hose either by aggressively twisting it in a sleepy stupor). I currently run my hose straight off of the humidifier and just snuggle with it, so for me now it is easier than those who would have to be detaching from a more involved hose system or design.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hose-q ... nnect.html

John
I love those things, and bought a couple of them today, because there is FREE SHIPPING today on cpap.com. Not only does it allow me to quickly get my mask detached from the hose, it also keeps the rubber end of the hose from stretching out and becoming less effective, lengthening hose life.

I also like the swivel adapters for the machine end of the hose.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 pm

But you could still keep one of those little (2" x 3-4") flashlights at your bedside to use if you do need it one night... they stay lit with a button, so you can put them down and use both hands to refix the mask.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:03 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Here is a different perspective on this...

Remove the mask from your long tubing.
Sit down and relax.
Put the mask on.
Take it off.
Shut your eyes and put it on again.
Repeat until you can do it with your eyes shut.

When you wake up in the middle of the night, you will be a little groggy, but if you have practiced enough, you will find it fairly easy to put your mask back on.

Hi Barbara

When I used to use a mask (full face) I could get it on and off in seconds - never a problem. As HoseCrusher says - it is simply a matter of practise.

However, these links might help-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 0l0l0ll1l0

Good luck

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am

While you've gotten lots of great suggestions, one thing I do want to offer is that you will be amazed at how quickly you will adjust to using CPAP. I no longer think about putting on my mask. I just do it. I adjust the mask without thinking. I could probably take my machine apart and put it back together and never remember doing it the next day.

In the long run, that practice every night ... night after night after night ... will be the thing that will make it work for you. But yes, you are right. At first it is a HUGE nuisance to get used to all the ins and outs of using a CPAP. But within just a few short weeks you will no longer notice how complicated it is. Instead it will be just another part of your routine.

So, here's hoping that comes soon and you find dealing with it much easier!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Like Julie suggests, I have been using a small flashlight since I started with CPAP in Feb '11. I find it difficult to disconnect the hose at night, since I can't see that either in the dark and can't risk waking my hubby up to disconnect that either. My Swift FX slips over my head, but I use the light to be sure I have it right side up on my upper lip.

Pressure 6-10 cm

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:32 am

i use the swift fx for her and yes ive done the disconnect the short hose and just go. But normally i pull my mask off without thinking about it. hang it on its hook over the bed and go potty.
after 16 years on CPAP i can reasemble anything in my half sleepy state! LOL..

I keep a light in my bedside drawer for LOADS of reasons.
for 9 bucks in the as seen on tv aisle i got a 3 pack of these little LED round lights. called sticknclick they are touch activated and take AAA's.. I LOVE THEM.. they had double sided tape on the backs so i stuck one in my bathroom on the wall. keep two in my bedside table they are the best 9 bucks ever spent and i wish i could find more of them.
i think i have replaced the batteries in the bathroom one once in 4 years its been in the bathroom.
Great to not wake the other half up when i need to do something. Perfect to have for power outages. and the one in the bathroom keeps me from going blind (or waking up the other half) when i just need to see a little.