CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Pugsy

Re: CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:52 am

Alert folks.....Zombie thread resurrection by a new member who I guess didn't read the thread.
Link provided is one doctor's opinion and dated 2017. A study of a study kind of opinion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Also, it has nothing to say about vertigo.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 am

Vertigo is distressing.
Even more frustrating is the fact that the cause cannot always be nailed down.
Ignorance and runaway imagination contribute, as well.
Individuals addicted to attention-seeking behavior seize on it.
Cannot change the truth, but some still try.

scf

Post by scf » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:56 pm

After reading this whole thread I wonder why the administrator doesn’t close a thread when it gets off course from the subject and
disintegrates into name calling and personal attacks? Just my humble opinion.
ResMed AirSense Autoset FOR HER/F30i

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:13 pm

scf wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:56 pm
After reading this whole thread I wonder why the administrator doesn’t close a thread when it gets off course from the subject and
In this thread it went off topic and disintegrated before we really had real time moderator here.
I suppose I could lock it now but the crap talk didn't occur on my watch.
I will go back and review what was said and think about what I can do about it now.
From a quick glance....looks like the crap slinging was over 5 years ago. Most people won't be reading all these old pages anyway.

Let me see what I can do here. No promises though. Perhaps I can just remove the pissing contest crap and leave the good stuff.

Edit...read the thread...removed the off topic snide crap that had derailed the thread. For sure remove the politics derailment. Think I cleaned it up enough to get by.

The bulk of the thread is still WAY OLD and really documents the old way of thinking.
Today it is much more common to think that it is possible for vertigo to potentially be related to cpap therapy because of eustachian tube dysfunction issues.

Best advice though for any vertigo issues...no matter what causes it or you think causes it....see an ENT doctor.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Seconded, in spades;
See a DOCTOR.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:15 am

I had a strange experience with vertigo and dizziness (both the room spinning kind and the feeling off balance kind). My ENT couldn't find anything wrong with my earsl. He even sent me for vestibular testing and later a brain MRI. Nothing found.

Months later, as it improved, got worse, improved again, I finally discovered that it was caused by my lymphedema. I had not known until my newer sleep doctor mentioned it, that lymphedema can be inside the head as well. I knew I had it in my neck as well as my arms and legs, but I had not even considered the inside of my head. And there are a lot of lymph nodes in front of the ears and behind the ears. So, with swelling around my ears, it put pressure on my ears. It caused ear pain, pressure, vertigo, dizziness, and balance issues. Gets better when I have more lymphedema treatment and worse when I don't. So many things make more sense.

My sleep doctor actually mentioned the internal lymphedema when I mentioned that my sleep apnea has gotten noticeably worse than my sleep study 10 years ago. I knew it gets worse with age, but I happened to fall asleep with a recording pulse oximeter when I was having a heart rate issue, and I was really surprised at how low my oxygen dropped. he told me it was probably due to my lymphedema.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Ouellette

Post by Ouellette » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:41 pm

I’m a newbie to cpap and forums. But I’m a 68 year old female using the ResMed 11 and the week I started (used it at pressure 13, I experienced constant vertigo and tension type headache. It was lowered to 11 then 9 with no change. ENT did not think I have BPPV and I’m scheduled for MRI and balance tests. I’m convinced it’s the cpap somehow as I have never had these symptoms before. I have stopped using it completely, who’s just is too bad as I did adjust to wearing it. I wish people wouldn’t claim right away that CPAP doesn’t cause vertigo. I’m convinced it’s related to mine. We’ll see

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Ouellette wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:41 pm
I’m a newbie to cpap and forums. But I’m a 68 year old female using the ResMed 11 and the week I started (used it at pressure 13, I experienced constant vertigo and tension type headache. It was lowered to 11 then 9 with no change. ENT did not think I have BPPV and I’m scheduled for MRI and balance tests. I’m convinced it’s the cpap somehow as I have never had these symptoms before. I have stopped using it completely, who’s just is too bad as I did adjust to wearing it. I wish people wouldn’t claim right away that CPAP doesn’t cause vertigo. I’m convinced it’s related to mine. We’ll see
Actually this thread was started many years ago when not much was known about cpap's relationship with vertigo but things have changed since then and it isn't pooh poohed off today.
There are some situations where it isn't totally impossible for cpap to trigger vertigo or make it worse.

But it isn't a given either. I do have BPPV and had it years before I started cpap...and cpap hasn't made it worse either.

Do follow up with your doctor though.

scf

Post by scf » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:57 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:13 pm
scf wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:56 pm
In this thread it went off topic and disintegrated before we really had real time moderator here.
I suppose I could lock it now but the crap talk didn't occur on my watch.
I will go back and review what was said and think about what I can do about it now.
From a quick glance....looks like the crap slinging was over 5 years ago. Most people won't be reading all these old pages anyway.

Let me see what I can do here. No promises though. Perhaps I can just remove the pissing contest crap and leave the good stuff.

Edit...read the thread...removed the off topic snide crap that had derailed the thread. For sure remove the politics derailment. Think I cleaned it up enough to get by.

The bulk of the thread is still WAY OLD and really documents the old way of thinking.
Today it is much more common to think that it is possible for vertigo to potentially be related to cpap therapy because of eustachian tube dysfunction issues.

Best advice though for any vertigo issues...no matter what causes it or you think causes it....see an ENT doctor.
Thanks Pugsy. Maybe I am the only one who reads old threads, lol. And I had a couple of weeks of severe vertigo after starting cpap. It has resolved thank goodnss . I believe it was related to pressure in the inner ear.
ResMed AirSense Autoset FOR HER/F30i

Ouellette

Post by Ouellette » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:39 am

I'm encouraged that vertigo has not been entirely ignored as a side effect of cpap. But I would love to hear others experiences , especially on how long their vertigo and or headaches lasted? Waiting for more tests but have to wait until after xmas, which has me bummed!

Ouellette

Re: CPAP vertigo and eustachian tube dysfunction

Post by Ouellette » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 am

Following up on my post from December. My symptoms started the same week as CPap therapy back in December. It was determined, not by my ENT but the audiologist, that I had BPVV (vertigo) and we resolved that with several Epley maneuvers. However, the ear ringing, fullness in one ear and slight imbalance issues remain. An MRI showed fluid in the right mastoid but not infection. And results of an ENG/VNG test yesterday showed clinically normal but highly responsive? Waiting for ANOTHER ENT followup on this test but I am losing confidence in him and he explains little.(forces you to read online articles) I'm hoping my sleep doctor will be more helpful. If not, I'm thinking Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (even though BPPV was resolved), especially after articles I've read (I also have GERD and a fairly recent, June last year, sinus infection with swollen nasal tissue.) ENT prescribed XHance at that time and says I should still use it now? I don't think that is helping my current symptoms at all. Just looking for support here, as I still think some doctors are ignoring or have not studied the correlation between CPAP and inner ear problems or are disregarding my need to understand what's going on. Ear ringing and imbalance issues are not fun! Oh and my ENT said there wasn't evidence of fluid in my middle ear but my primary car physician said I did and she described it with a diagram no less! Who to believe!?

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:42 pm

Ask your GP for a consult by a neurologist - experts in vertigo and lots more (and they also take lots of ENT/ear stuff into account).

Ouellette

Post by Ouellette » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:10 pm

Thank you for the advise! I just might. One more visit to ENT and one more with sleep doc and I'm done with them If no answers or even suggestions!