Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: CPAP causing vertigo symptoms??

Postby palerider on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:22 pm

Julie wrote:Do you have a 'seconds' stopwatch? :D

somewhere around here, but without eagle eyed eyesight, I wouldn't know when to stop the timer :D

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who YOU are.

Danimal74

Postby Danimal74 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Palerider: Go back and read your 2nd response to me and tell me if it was or wasn't snide. If you as the forum's enforcer and bearer of knowledge proclaim my question about whether a dirty cpap can hold bacteria was "overblown," then read your following responses and show me any one where you provided evidence to support your contention.

So seeing as you think being rude is somehow your right, likely because you're a veteran poster and think being sarcastic to new posters will win you points with other veteran posters, prove your place on the high horse: 1) What constitutes a reliable study and what renders the cpap study done in Taiwan reliable; and 2) Provide evidence to support your claim that the study in Taiwan wasn't peer studied. Either make your case or admit your response was grandiose bluster. Pick one...

Julie: You significantly exaggerated Chunky and Palerider's attributes.

johmons

Postby johmons on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I've been using cpap a long time and 1days ago I slept without it and awoke very dizzy and had a hard time walking. So this appears re the other comments that I've encountered the opposite, contracting vertigo from Not using cpap one night....I really appreciate all your comments, so it appears my situation is related, but different.

Julie

Postby Julie on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Cpap can lower blood pressure, and that might be what's happening to you when you first get up - do it very slowly, and if you can get access to a monitor (your doctor or pharmacist can recommend one) take it as soon as you awake, before getting out of bed and see what it says. Are you also taking any meds?

zoocrewphoto

Postby zoocrewphoto on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:33 pm

johmons wrote:I've been using cpap a long time and 1days ago I slept without it and awoke very dizzy and had a hard time walking. So this appears re the other comments that I've encountered the opposite, contracting vertigo from Not using cpap one night....I really appreciate all your comments, so it appears my situation is related, but different.

It could be completely unrelated to cpap. Some people get the crystals in the ear that break off and mess with balance during movement. Other people get vertigo during an ear infection. Years ago, I woke up with the room spinning fast. If I closed my eyes, I felt like I was in an earthquake. My ears were reporting movement that my eyes were not. So my eyes were constantly moving, trying to track the motion that didn't exist, causing the room to spin.

This happened over a year before I started cpap. It had nothing to do with cpap whatsoever. And it only happened twice, in that week, back in 2011. I am more susceptible to balance and dizziness due to seeing something spin, or a cold going to my ears. I now feel "off" and know to take meclizine (motion sickness/ anti-nausea medication) to make it go away.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

rbaquera

Postby rbaquera on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 pm

I went searching online to see whether anyone other CPAP users were having issues with vertigo. I recently had the pressure on my machine raised (in November) and though I sleep better; have since had 3 vertigo spells. I live in the El Paso area and have seen several doctors for this but none ever thought that perhaps the cause could be the pressure. Once I saw the various posts of people having similar symptoms, I immediately called my doctor to schedule an appointment. In retrospect, I started having vertigo years ago when I first started using the CPAP but never occurred to me that this could be the cause. Once I see my doctor will post the results.

Hope Mares
Also Posted As:
(cappy)
(roadrunnerNM)
(s7nguy)
(ThEmAdDrshOck)

Postby Hope Mares on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

I have been on a CPAP machine for about 10 years and have never had problem. I get better sleep with it. Recently went in for a sleep study as my machine is old. The assistant put the pressure real high, and it made my mouth fly open continually. I asked her to lower it and she did very little. She told me I sleep with my mouth open, (I know I dont because my mouth is so dry in the morning, I cant open it without a little work) She continued to tell me the same thing. When I got my machine, It starts on 6 and ramps up to 10-14. Once it ramps up I cant sleep because it continually makes my mouth fly open. I was down with vertigo last week, and i was noticing that once it ramped up that I would feel light headed. I have stopped using it until the doctor readjusts the pressure. Too much pressure is bad. You shouldnt feel a bit change once its on, but you do get a better nights rest. Hope this helps.

ChicagoGranny

Postby ChicagoGranny on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am

Hope Mares wrote:I have stopped using it until the doctor readjusts the pressure.

You should hang around here and learn to manage your own therapy. An educated patient can do it much better than any doctor.

Julie

Postby Julie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Your mouth is dry because it's open all (or half) the night and the trouble you have opening it is because it's dry instead of normally lubricated. Normally it wouldn't be if you didn't mouth breathe (or do you do that in the daytime too and not realize after so long it's not normal?).

Previous

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)