Bed Shopping Recommendations?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Bed Shopping Recommendations?

Post by plr66 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

I've gotta have a new mattress, and soon. Beauty Rest used to be a great brand for individual springs which adjusted to give your spine an appropriate amount of support, regardless of sleeping position. Not mine!

I'd love to hear especially from those of us who have been forced to become exclusively side-sleepers with cpap.
(And maybe also especially from those who tend to be heat-sensitive when sleeping, as in waking up due to feeling suddenly uncomfortably hot).

Have any of you been blown away by a wonderful mattress which eliminated any back aches you might have previously had from side-sleeping?

Have any of you had a new mattress for 5-6 years and think it is not only appropriately supportive for straight-spine side-sleeping--but holding up well in not forming hills n' valleys?

Does anyone have a Dr. Breus bed? If so, what do you think? http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/the-dr-br ... index.html I have no memory of seeing anyone here who had one, and am skeptical unless there are direct-experience notes.
Last edited by plr66 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

ameriken

Re: Bed Shopping Recommendations?

Post by ameriken » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Tempurpedic (memory foam). Bought it in 2004 and love it. I have little to no back pain when I wake up, and a spring mattress just tore up my back. Pricier than the standard mattress, but it also comes with a 20 year warrantee. I think I paid $1400 in 2004 for the Queen size. I'll never go back or try a different mattress.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Ameriken, Don't Tempurpedics tend to be hot in summer? And I've wondered if they hold your "indent" so that changing positions might be difficult to do comfortably through the night...?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm

plr66 wrote:Ameriken, Don't Tempurpedics tend to be hot in summer? And I've wondered if they hold your "indent" so that changing positions might be difficult to do comfortably through the night...?
I haven't had any problems with hot in the summer, other than we don't have AC, but it's not because of the bed. As for changing positions, it doesn't form any indentations because it 'remembers' and retains it original self after you wake up which is why it is called memory foam. It doesn't form any indentations. If it did, it would be an awful mattress for me as I sleep on both sides and my back. Wife loves it too.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

wacyone

Post by wacyone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 pm

plr66...Just a few comments on sleep items.I am a large person (300+) and have found a latex topper on a firm mattress works good.Some say memory foam but doing research memory foam does not do its thing if weight is over 250. My wife also has back problems and finds the latex topper very comfotable. I am also always looking at pillows.I see a new one called Airfit but so new don't see any reviews.

Good luck

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Select Comfort is the only way to go. You can adjust it for what ever firmness you want, from soft to firm for what ever you need for that night.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm

I love, love, LOVE the Select Comfort "sleep number" beds! We have one in our house, and one in our family's weekend cabin. They are the best because they can be adjusted to your own body and preferences. We have two separate air mattresses, so I can have a softer bed, and hubby can have a firmer one. Also, the two mattresses are separated by a foam divider, there is very little movement transfered from one side to the other -- I never disturb hubby when I am restless at night. We have the model with the memory foam on top of the air mattress, and it is easily the best bed I have ever used. I highly recommed these beds. And, no, I do not have stock in the company. lol

Pap365

Post by Pap365 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm

We just got a Select Comfort bed a few months ago and we love it. Well worth the money.
Formerly Newbieinohio

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm

I too have a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. Love it. Works well especially because my husband who is a large man likes firmer support and I am more middle of the road. My back is pretty messed up so every little bit to help me is worth it.

I have also heard that the memory foam mattresses can be "too hot". My Sleep number bed actually has a 2 inch memory foam topper on the top layer in my mattress. I have not had any problems with heat and coming from a woman going through hot flashes that is important. I mention this because when I was getting my Sleep number bed they tried to sell me a mattress pad that was supposed to keep temperatures from swinging widely and absorb heat. It was quite nice (and pricey) but at the time winter was here and I was already spending a ton of money so I opted to wait till I saw if I needed it this summer. As it was I didn't but I would think that it would work with any mattress that seemed to retain heat.

I also imagine that Select Comfort isn't the only one with such a product and one could probably search around and find a similar product if a memory foam mattress seemed to retain heat too much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Pugsy wrote:
I also imagine that Select Comfort isn't the only one with such a product and one could probably search around and find a similar product if a memory foam mattress seemed to retain heat too much.
Good call Pugsy, with select comfort you are buying an airbed with pump and maybe a topper, you could get the same for 10% of the price if you put it together yourself. The fact is you will never ever walk into a select sleep comfort store and see the inside or construction of a select comfort mattresses EVER. The reason why? you are buying a fancy air bed and pump for way too much money.

Unfortunately as soon as the average lazy person hears the words "adjustable" and "remote control" they are sold, maybe even on the sheets and pillows too. Sleepnumber beds are not sold outside of America.

If you happen to get sucked into buying a sleep number you will find it arrives in a box containing a pump, two bladder airbeds, some cheap foam dividers and surrounds with a cover. If you read the forums (go ahead and google) people have felt sick having received their sleepnumbers after seeing what they have spent thousands on.

I got a memory foam from costco with a cool top layer and love it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Good call Pugsy, with select comfort you are buying an airbed with pump and maybe a topper
Well as the owner of a Select Comfort Innovation series...I was referring to the mattress pad that helps one stay cool.

I did assemble my bed and I saw what it was. I knew this going in though. It wasn't a big surprise. I had already researched it till my husband was tired of me talking about it. I got lucky and my bed went on sale for 50% off or I never could have afforded it. At 50% off it came in line with other quality mattresses. I also researched making my own and even other brands of air mattresses. I just didn't want to go that route. I am not inclined to build stuff and my poor husband is lucky to be home one night a week and he isn't "builder" inclined either.

I kept all my boxes (to return it) just in case I wasn't happy and I wouldn't just "settle" not at these prices.. After the first night my husband wanted to know how I felt...I said "burn the boxes". Is it overpriced for what it is? Sure it is, but so are a lot of things that I buy. But you know what? I am worth it.

I am happy with my purchase. Before we got the bed, almost a year ago, when I woke up I actually hobbled like a 100 yr old woman to the bathroom from intense back pain. Not to mention the pain during the night. Some mornings now I actually forget to take my morning pain pill. Did it make me pain free? Of course not. Some things can't be fixed but it is surely more easily managed and that is what is important to me.

So I don't begrudge the money we spent on it. Is it for everyone? Of course not. Me? I wish I had bought one 10 years ago.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I've had a memory foam mattress for about three and a half years. As far as bumps and valleys it looks as good as the day I got it. I read someone say that it's not good for heavy people I'm 6 foot and 270 and it's great it is, however, a little warm. Some one else was concerned about rolling over and having the indentation of where you were laying - yes...it does that but very briefly. It fills back up in 15-20 seconds. One last thing - I did *not* pay three grand for the Tempur-Pedics brand but ordered from http://www.bedinabox.com/. It's pretty cool to get a mattress vacuum packed in a box the size of a shorty electric water heater, roll it out, cut the shrink wrapping, and have it expand into a king-sized bed.

Randy

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:11 am

I bought a Temperpedic last spring. It is a little firm. My family has taken naps on it to see if they like it before we purchase one for them. When I purchased mine, I mentioned the heat-problem and the salesman said Temperpedic resolved that problem. I took that for what it was worth. The salesman was trying to make a sale. I love the Temperpedic and won't ever go back to a conventional mattress. My daughter has a sleep number and loves it too. Check them both out.

I found that conquering sleep apnea, getting a good mattress and getting complete control of my sleep experience has improved my quality of life tremendously.

Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am

We found a memory foam queen at Big Lots for $399--$319 with our 20% off.
Best bed we've ever had.

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

I'm a side sleeper, and I vote for Select Comfort. I bought mine on sale back in 2000, and I'm still extremely happy with it. I saved a few bucks by buying the wired controls rather than the wireless. My bed is pretty simple. The only extra I went for was the pillow top, which has been well worth the money.

A year ago I had occasion to use the warranty. I sleep alone and have both bladders set at 45. I often sleep on the right side of the bed, but I also sleep on the left or even in the middle. Consequently over time, I started to roll into the middle of the bed, and a year ago I decided to call customer service. I expected to be told I needed a new bed. But no!

The warranty is pro-rated, so I'd used about half the life of my bed, which meant any replacement parts would cost me 50%. They had me measure various parts of the bed to make sure it hadn't become compressed beyond tolerance. The diagnosis? That long foam divider that runs down the middle of the bed between the air bladders needed to be replaced. The cost to me? A whopping $7 shipped!

The rep also told me of a new option they have for solo sleepers. They have air bladders that zip together in the middle (top and bottom) and have a wide foam block that goes inside the zipped part. This sounded like an even better option for me, as my bed is in very good shape and seems to have much life left in it. Again, I'd only have to pay 50% of the cost of the new air bladders. I don't remember the exact cost of this upgrade, but I think it was ~$80. The rep also told me I had 30(?) days to try the new bladders, and I could return them for a full refund if I didn't like them.

So I went for the new zip-together bladders, and it's like having an entirely new bed! You can still set each side to a different number, so these new bladders would work for anyone. Select Comfort designed them to solve the problem some of us have of rolling into the middle of the bed.

SC's customer service was great. They talked to me about my sleep habits, issues with the bed and took their time troubleshooting and offering me options. There was no suggestion or pressure to replace my bed at all. In fact, if I wanted to, I could upgrade to a new pump with wireless remote, but because mine is not defective, I'd have to pay full price and decided that could wait till I replace the bed ... who knows when.

Select Comfort may be expensive, but if you wait for a sale, they are right on par with the cost of any quality bed. Not only are they wonderfully comfortable and customizable, but SC's support is excellent. I'm in IT and build my own computers (and even wired my home with ethernet), so I'm not afraid to build something myself. But good sleep is vitally important to my health, and I decided I'd rather buy a bed than cobble one together in a sleep-deprived state.

BTW, the ability to change the firmness was a godsend when I had several abdominal surgeries. If I hadn't been able to make the bed much firmer than my usual setting, I wouldn't have been able to get in and out of bed on my own.

Just my mega 2 cents.