dirty filter cause headaches?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ThirdOutOfFive

Re: dirty filter cause headaches?

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 pm

My nose is not sensitive to stuff in the air. I don't seem to have a problem with a dirty filter. (Er, that's not to say that I don't clean mine regularly. . . )

But, hubby has major allergy issues with dirt, dust & whatnot. If he was using PAPpy, he would have to have a very clean filter. If you are suffering, you should try changing the filter. You may be more sensitive than some of the rest of us.

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I usually clean my hose, mask, foam filter, and headgear once a week. A few weeks ago, I was feeling a bit lazy, and skipped a week. A few days later I started waking up with a headache every morning. This continued until the weekend when I once again cleaned my gear. I did not replace the fine white filter, but did clean the gray foam filter. Not sure, exactly what was causing the headaches but I haven't had a morning headache since, and now am religious about cleaning my gear every weekend. So I suspect that unclean equipment can cause headaches, just can't say if it's the filter or what.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 pm

We have 4 cats and I am a poor duster =(. I normally tap out my filters once a week IE flick it with my fingers a few times then change it out every couple of months. I have a new S9 auto so I haven't had issues yet with any of the filters but on my old Remstar with the grey and white filter I would indeed get headaches when the filters got too dirty. Headaches for a few mornings, change filters and headaches gone for a few more months til they start again and I remember to change em. Went that way for 7 years, till I got the new S9.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Why would a person not do something so simple as change the filter in their machine? Who cares if it causes headaches? It's so darn simple.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Sleep Deprivation = Forgetfulness Or maybe I am just going senile, one never knows when it will sneak up on ya. (looks around tentatively)

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

barzdiprocky

Post by barzdiprocky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I know that continuing to use dirty filters (white and gray ones) will cause you sinus and headache problems. I have had a bad sinus infection for 4 weeks and been treated by my doctor 3 different times for a horrible sinus infection - he told me all 4 sinus passages are totally blocked and my nasal passages are very swollen and it is very hard to breathe. I can only say that not cleaning your tubing, mask, nose piece and changing your filters properly will definitely cause you to have a fungal or bacterial infection. The inner white filter is to be changed every 3 -4 weeks (cannot be washed and rinsed out) and the gray filter can be used up to 6 months but needs to be washed and rinsed out when you clean your other cpap supplies every week--carefully with warm soft soapy water and rinsing them all thoroughly and drying thoroughly as not to promote germs of any kind. I have been miserable and will do anything to alleviate this problem reoccuring after realized the true facts!!!

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

As air filter like the ones in CPAP machines get dirty they actually get better at filtering. The dirt already captured in the filter
makes the air passages through the filter smaller, and thus smaller and smaller particles are filtered out.

Eventually, the filter will become so clogged that it will start to limit air flow. This could affect both the operation of the
machine and the therapy provided.

I know on my S8 that as the filter gets clogged the airflow through it begins to become audible. Time to clean or replace the filter.
That's not to say that don't clean the filter before that happens, but if I forget....

And I agree that the original purpose of the filters was to protect the machines. But as people became more allergy consious
someone realized that offering an allergy filter would add another feature to use to market their machine and a small revenue source.
The other companies followed suit.

If one needs air filtration for health purposes, one needs to filter the air in the entire house; not just the air flowing through
their CPAP machine.

And while I do clean my mask, I never do the hose. All that flows through it is water vapor and air, and the machine blows enough
air through the hose after therapy end to dry it. Never seen anything at all in the hose. My humidifier gets cleaned when I notice
mineral build-up starting. (I live on the edge and use tap water in the humidifier.) This usually happens if the tank runs try. A
rinse with full strength vinegar fixes that pronto.
jeff

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

As a general rule in mechanical equipment, a dirty filter does clean better, but it causes more pressure drop, and may reduce the airflow or cause extra energy use. It's been reported that dirty filters on CPAP machines can cause overheating.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

psiborg

Post by psiborg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Can one use an air conditioner type filter (cut to size of course) as a DYI solution for a replacement filter in my S9 machine?
I cannot find any info on what the filter is on net searches.