Mask vs Pillows Comfortlite2

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snoozie

Mask vs Pillows Comfortlite2

Post by Snoozie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I haven't had to post here in a long time, but have a new question. (Old dogs CAN learn new tricks). On a recent 10 day trip, DH left my machine and mask in the garage instead of loading in the SUV, and I didn't realize it was missing till I got to the airport. I was lucky enough through Apria Healthcare (my DME), to be able to rent one in Florida, our destination. I had to, however, purchase a new mask as I was not yet due for a new one through my insurance. I usually wear the Breeze and have done so successfully for several years. They did not have one available for me, but offered the Comfortlite2 as a comparable substitution. Since I had been wanting to try it, and had no other options anyway, I took it. I had a horrible time trying to adjust the nasal pillows, amd my nose was sore and painful for a couple days. I did try the little mask offered, and it fit like a charm! The problem is that I had more trouble breathing out of it. My exhale was labored and my nose felt plugged up like I wasn't getting enough air, so back to the pillows I went. Could I have had trouble breathing through the mask because I have a deviated septum? Also wondering if I breathe better with the pillows because they widen the nasal passages? I do definitely breathe better with the pillows vs a mask. Any suggestions or reasoning for this? Does anyone else have that problem? Thanks for any help!

sister

Re: Mask vs Pillows Comfortlite2

Post by sister » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Snoozie wrote:I haven't had to post here in a long time, but have a new question. (Old dogs CAN learn new tricks). On a recent 10 day trip, DH left my machine and mask in the garage instead of loading in the SUV, and I didn't realize it was missing till I got to the airport. I was lucky enough through Apria Healthcare (my DME), to be able to rent one in Florida, our destination. I had to, however, purchase a new mask as I was not yet due for a new one through my insurance. I usually wear the Breeze and have done so successfully for several years. They did not have one available for me, but offered the Comfortlite2 as a comparable substitution. Since I had been wanting to try it, and had no other options anyway, I took it. I had a horrible time trying to adjust the nasal pillows, amd my nose was sore and painful for a couple days. I did try the little mask offered, and it fit like a charm! The problem is that I had more trouble breathing out of it. My exhale was labored and my nose felt plugged up like I wasn't getting enough air, so back to the pillows I went. Could I have had trouble breathing through the mask because I have a deviated septum? Also wondering if I breathe better with the pillows because they widen the nasal passages? I do definitely breathe better with the pillows vs a mask. Any suggestions or reasoning for this? Does anyone else have that problem? Thanks for any help!

hi Snoozie,
sorry my answer is so late but I just saw your post.I use the comfortlite 2 with the pillows(med) and love it!
I tried the simple cushions but could not get them to stop leaking so I gave up and fell in love with the pillows. So, I am not much help to you, am I? I wish you all the luck in the world.
If you do end up using the cushions I have some that maybe we could trade?
GOD BLESS YOU!