I hate the c pap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: I hate the c pap machine

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 pm

You are replying to a six year old thread, but your problem is not that unusual.
I assure you that cpap is not only a good idea--it is effective treatment.
If, and when you are able to accept the fact that you NEED this treatment,
we will be happy to help you with years of experience and GREAT advice.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:51 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:You are replying to a six year old thread, but your problem is not that unusual.
I assure you that cpap is not only a good idea--it is effective treatment.
If, and when you are able to accept the fact that you NEED this treatment,
we will be happy to help you with years of experience and GREAT advice.
Now, Now, remember what you told me. , just another trip down memory lane, in the old defective Way Back Machine, Echo's from the Past. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

guestjjc155

Post by guestjjc155 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 pm

That sucks. I have had mine for a little over a week and love it. I sleep so well now and an not tired, even though I work 12hr night shifts. I found it very easy to get used to it, literally fell asleep in less than 10 minutes the first time I used it and ever since. I guess I should count myself lucky.

I'm down to under 5AHI when I was close to 40 during my initial sleep study.

J-

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Ldrakekat wrote:The problem with getting new masks is that they're so expensive and my supplier has not offered me a 30 day return. I just keep getting charged. I can't keep doing that, yet I read a thread on here somewhere where one person was mentioned that they TAPED the mask to their face..... I am so NOT willing to go there.....

OK your air pressure seems too high. Ask your doctor to lower it and I feel you'll do much better.

Have you tried the Dreamwear?? Its the only mask I can tolerate. All other masks are like torture devices for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Daisy, dear:
Ldrakekat started this thread SIX YEARS AGO.
Odds are, she has adapted or given up.
Guestjjc just revived the thread this month.
We want everyone to succeed, but some do not have the fortitude.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Daisy, dear:

oh

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

DaisySmith wrote:

oh
For newbies like me, all these old threads are new and potentially relevant. I have learned a lot reading older and revived threads. It's all good.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

Hmm, I had all the determination in the world and I never adapted to pap therapy. I did everything I could think of to make it work. I wish to god I had MMA advancement surgery when I had the opportunity but sadly chickened out. I didn't qualify for the Inspire Procedure and found using a dental device worse than the mask.

Now, I have lymphoma which I feel was a result of my sleep issues due to lowered immune resistance. Don't have any scientific links to provide as proof but interestingly, someone on one of my lymphoma facebook groups had a similar type issue.

My point is that folks should give pap therapy a reasonable time to work such as a minimum of 6 months. But if there is a continued struggle in spite of doing everything possible to maximize therapy, it is time to look at other options. Not saying folks will end up in my situation but not sleeping well is obviously not a good thing.

Not succeeding with pap therapy has nothing to do with willpower, bad character, or any similar negative type traits that many people on this board like to peg people with who have difficulties. It needs to stop but I doubt it will.

49er

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:27 am

49er wrote:Not succeeding with pap therapy has nothing to do with willpower, bad character, or any similar negative type traits that many people on this board like to peg people with who have difficulties. It needs to stop but I doubt it will.
This is true for many people, you included. There are, however, people that come here that obviously haven't given it the same attempt as people like you. They come looking for excuses to fail. When people try to help them overcome their challenges, they have reasons why every suggestion won't work and get agitated at the suggestions. I remember one woman said she couldn't get get through the study and one of her big complaints was the red light from the pulse ox monitor bothered her. Of all the things to complain about, that one has a simple solution that anybody should be able to handle - put your hand under the covers, which was suggested. The poster got angry.

People like that don't want help or solutions - they just want to complain.

Everyone that comes here should be given the benefit of the doubt and we should assume they want help. They should be treated with compassion. Sadly, that doesn't always happen.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:28 am

Madalot wrote:
49er wrote:Not succeeding with pap therapy has nothing to do with willpower, bad character, or any similar negative type traits that many people on this board like to peg people with who have difficulties. It needs to stop but I doubt it will.
This is true for many people, you included. There are, however, people that come here that obviously haven't given it the same attempt as people like you. They come looking for excuses to fail. When people try to help them overcome their challenges, they have reasons why every suggestion won't work and get agitated at the suggestions. I remember one woman said she couldn't get get through the study and one of her big complaints was the red light from the pulse ox monitor bothered her. Of all the things to complain about, that one has a simple solution that anybody should be able to handle - put your hand under the covers, which was suggested. The poster got angry.

People like that don't want help or solutions - they just want to complain.

Everyone that comes here should be given the benefit of the doubt and we should assume they want help. They should be treated with compassion. Sadly, that doesn't always happen.
Madalot,

Maybe that person had a valid reason for not wanting to put her hand under the cover that might not have made sense to most people on the board but did to her. I have certainly experienced similar type situations in which people didn't understand why I was rejecting a suggestion.

Fortunately, I learned better ways of dealing with these situations so people wouldn't get so angry. But not everyone has those skills and in my opinion, people should be given the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming they are looking for excuses to fail.

It sounds like you agree on one sense which I am glad to hear.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 am

49er wrote:Maybe that person had a valid reason for not wanting to put her hand under the cover that might not have made sense to most people on the board but did to her. I have certainly experienced similar type situations in which people didn't understand why I was rejecting a suggestion.

Fortunately, I learned better ways of dealing with these situations so people wouldn't get so angry. But not everyone has those skills and in my opinion, people should be given the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming they are looking for excuses to fail.
Very possible. It's also possible they are just being difficult. There are situations where it really isn't obvious which it is. You want to assume they are not being difficult and truly want help but when they reject every possible solution, without any reasonable explanation, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In the hand under the covers situation, if the poster had just given a brief explanation as to why that wasn't an option, it would have given credence the situation. All she did was get mad. Maybe she doesn't have the communication skills, but if you come to an online forum asking for help, lack of communication skills is going to hamper your ability to get help. Sadly, it's the nature of the beast.

It's a tough call regardless. I would rather err on the side of caution (compassion) but there have been people here they really don't behave in a way that encourages compassion.

esel

Post by esel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

Madalot wrote:
49er wrote:Maybe
Mad a lot take it easy . . . 49er made a good point here. Nothing personal

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

esel wrote:
Madalot wrote:
49er wrote:Maybe
Mad a lot take it easy . . . 49er made a good point here. Nothing personal
Wasn't upset in the least bit. Sorry if it came out that way. Just discussing the topic/issue.

Attila

Post by Attila » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

I thought she expressed herself in a very kind manner...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 am

Attila wrote:I thought she expressed herself in a very kind manner...
Ditto!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire