I hate the c pap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ldrakekat

Re: I hate the c pap machine

Post by Ldrakekat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I wanted to know that I'm not the only person who has felt this way. Apparently I am.
No you're not. But in my year + on this forum you have expressed your frustrations more vividly than anyone else has, as far as I can remember. But that's OK.
[/quote]
You actually made me laugh with this one. Literally through my tears. I am well known in my family for being able to express myself. Vividly. Especially when I'm mad or frustrated.
Thank you for your kind words and support. It's very much appreciated.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Ldrakekat,

First of all, I want to say you are beginning to get some really good advice here about some of your specific problems.

Next, I want to get back to one of the main reasons that seem to be why you posted here in the first place. And I don't mean the obvious anger. I mean the fact that you landed in this surrealistic misadventure of OSA and CPAP because of pre-surgical screening of some sort. You mention an intended, but unspecified surgery a couple of times in your posts:
I don't think I need [CPAP] but am forced to tolerate it in order to get surgery I need. I am being subjected to this mother !@#$ piece of junk for at least 2 months before I can get the surgery I need
and
In regards to the questions about the surgery. It has nothing to do with sleep apnea. The reason I had a sleep study test in the first place was because of this surgery. It was required along with a lot of other medical tests.
So my impression is that you were asymptomatic and had no idea that you had OSA. That prior to this screening for the surgery it never occurred to you that you could possibly stop breathing (or come close to stopping breathing) 30 times an hour and have O2 desats down to 80% when you sleep. And so you went through the screening for the surgery fully expecting to pass that sleep test with flying colors. And got whopped upside the head with a new reality that still seems unreal to you even though you're 3 weeks or more into therapy.

All in all, it reminds me of a post I saw on another board some six months ago. The poster on that board was hoping to have bariatric surgery and pre-op screening for OSA was mandatory. That poster too responded with both disbelief and anger towards his/her diagnosis. And I wrote a long reply which I think you need to see because much of what I said to that poster applies to your situation too.

What follow is an edited version of what I told that other poster. The edits reflect the fact that you have started CPAP therapy some three weeks ago and that you have apparently been set up with a PR Remstar System One PRO CPAP with C-Flex Plus.

Being diagnosed with a serious medical condition that you were unaware of is, by definition, a lousy day. And it's not uncommon to have anger over such a diagnosis. No one likes being dealt a bum deal. And finding out you have OSA is, indeed a bum deal: Just like being diagnosed with diabetes, severe high blood pressure, moderate to severe arthritis, and host of other things. Less of a bum deal than being diagnosed with significant heart disease, cancer, COPD, parkinson's disease and a host of other things, though.

So some anger is understandable.

And there is nothing that seems natural (particularly at the beginning) about sleeping with a mask on your face. [And note to Ldrakekat: I know you're three weeks into therapy. But that really is still "the beginning." More about that in a later post.]

But---your surgeon has done you a big favor: He is a surgeon who genuinely understands the very real risks that folks with OSA face during any kind of surgery requiring anesthesia---during the surgery itself and after the surgery---both in the recovery room and after being moved to a regular room---particularly if strong, narcotic-based pain relievers are used. And so he's chosen (wisely) to not operate on folks who may have undiagnosed OSA. Hence, because he's in a position to do it, he requires screening for OSA and documentation that the OSA is being properly treated before he's willing to operate. He probably also requires his OSA patients to bring their CPAP with them to the hospital too.

You see, the not-so-funny thing about OSA is that is it thought to be as common as type II diabetes (based on epidemiology studies), but because the diagnosis requires an expensive full night lab test instead of a rather inexpensive blood test, OSA remains seriously under diagnosed: It is simply not routinely tested for by GPs, unlike diabetes and HBP and a host of other common chronic conditions. But untreated OSA has a host of nasty effects on the body and raises the chances of developing several serious conditions as co-morbidities. Among them are: HPB that is resistant to treatment, diabetes, congestive heart failure, stroke, and a changing metabolism that makes it both easier to gain weight and harder to lose it.

And the treatment of OSA seems bizarre: And hence, there is a very negative stereotype about both patients with OSA and the treatment of OSA. So folks receiving an OSA diagnosis often go through a (sometimes long) period of denial: They really hope that there is some way to avoid "sleeping with that d**m mask" for the rest of their life. Or folks have serious problems with unresolved anger about the diagnosis: "Why do I have to have this d**m disease? I don't want it. And sleeping with the mask makes me feel like a freak." [I know that I had serious unresolved anger problems for a long time during my adjustment period. Heck, I still have some residual anger that sneaks out every time I have a bad night---either with my insomnia or with my treated AHI being high enough for me to feel it.]

And since you were asymptomatic before the diagnosis that makes the diagnosis feel all that more unreal and unfair.

But facts are what they are. And you have to play the hand you are dealt in life. And, unfortunately, that means that if the OSA card shows up, you also get an automatic welcome into the hosehead club.

The good news---which doesn't seem good at first---is that OSA can be treated and treated very effectively through the use of CPAP. And that, for all the trouble and expense of CPAP therapy, it uses a completely benign substance (room air) to essentially eliminate the apneas, which in turn can prevent the co-morbidities from developing or delay their developing in the OSA sufferer.

But to make CPAP work, it takes a real commitment on the part of the new CPAPer: Attitude is part of it---the willingness to do something that's not particularly pleasant at the beginning for a very long term health benefit; old-fashioned stubbornness can be useful if applied to making the therapy work instead of being used to feed the denial or anger at the diagnosis; and a realistic hope that things will (eventually) get easier---that putting the mask on every night will literally become a habit that doesn't bother you much more than brushing your teeth before bedtime.

Things seem surreal to you right now. You know the short version of your diagnosis: You are having serious breathing problems at night. These breathing problems occur on average 30 times per hour and last at least 10 seconds per event. That means that you are not breathing normally for at least 10 seconds out of every 120 seconds of sleep. And these near constant breathing problems are leading to severe problems with your blood oxygenation levels: 80% desats are serious and every time one happens, it damages your body in some way. But this short version is not enough to make the situation real to you. You need to find out the LONG version of the story: Get a copy of the sleep study report---both the doctor's dictation and copies of the summary data and summary graphs. With this information you will find out exactly how all these arousals that you have no memory of genuinely affect the objective quality of your PAP-less sleep.

And even though you sincerely hope that you will not have to use the CPAP at some point after the surgery, start preparing yourself for the possibility that the surgery (what ever it is) will not fully resolve your OSA problems. So---it behooves you to learn how to use the fact that you have a full data machine (The PR REMstar System One Pro with C-Flex Plus) to tell you whether CPAP is doing its job of allowing you to breath better while you are sleeping. Understand your DME's mask exchange policy. Insist on getting a mask you can stand. If the current mask isn't working out, exchange it for another mask. (And another after that if need be.) Post any problems with adjustment here with an indication of the nature of the problem in the title: No matter how odd or bizarre you think the problem is, somebody on this board will have faced the problem before. And can likely provide useful tips on how to fix the problem.

Best of luck in adjusting to CPAP so that you can indeed have the surgery in a timely fashion

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Kat,
I felt just like you the first time they diagnosed me back in the 90's. There was no helpful forum that I was able to find at the time, and I was unable to tolerate the mask or the noise, or the cold air rushing in, or the cold and itchy nose I got from the air rushing in my nasal mask, so I complained to the DME (that is the Durable Medical Equipment company that supplied my machine). They then hooked me up with a humidifier, which helped the coldness of the air, but did nothing to make the mask more comfortable or deal with all the other problems. Back then, the machines were dinosaurs, and many people who couldn't tolerate the CPAP treatment were told that surgery could help them. I got terrible headaches from wearing the mask, and 95% of the time, found the mask on the floor in the middle of the night, or had to take it off to try to relieve the headache. I had it off more than I had it on, and the Dr said i was intolerant of the CPAP machine and scheduled me for surgery. I had extensive sinus surgery, tonsils and adenoids and uvula were removed, as well as a chunk of my soft palate. I was sick as a dog for 3 weeks, in terrible pain, nauseous and constipated and unable to eat from the drugs and the healing going on. When the sutures in my throat finally dissolved enough, they gagged me and I was afraid to swallow anything,(try vomiting with free pieces of catgut flapping around in your throat!) Anyway, for all the expense of surgery, loss of over 3 weeks of work at NO PAY, and the pain, the procedure only helped my snoring for 6 months.

Fast forward to now, and the machines are a LOT better and there are many masks to choose from. I like the Swift FX mask because it does not usually leak,m but it might not work for you because of your high pressure of 16, but there are some users who DO use it and find it works for them at high pressures too. That is the first thing I think you need to do, change your mask again. The supplier of your machine should change your mask out as many times as necessary until you are satisfied, and usually they do not charge to change it for the first 30 days. My battery is on its' last legs, so i must go, but please consider what the suggestions are to make you fell better. NOW I wouldn't sleep without my CPAP machine. I am fond of waking up alive, and also found I dream now that I am using cpap, SOMETHING i DIDN'T DO SINCE i WAS A CHILD!
Stick with it, and turn that frown upside down because you have people who are trying to help you! Good luck and sweet dreams!

Pressure 6-10 cm

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:32 am

Ldrakekat wrote:
Madalot wrote:
Pugsy wrote:You may not realize it but there is a reason that Madalot has that ID... Mad-a-lot. She understands completely your frustrations as do everyone else here.
Thanks for supporting me in this, Pugsy. I appreciate it. I thought I was being pretty supportive of the OP. In my situation (which I realize OP isn't familiar with so I'm not holding it against her) -- her comments were pretty hurtful to me as well.
I am sorry. I did not mean to be hurtful to you. You asked be an honest and genuine question without condemnation. I did not intend for my answer to hurt your feelings. I dunno, maybe I wouldn't have been so abrupt if I didn't feel under attack by many of the other posters. But, your question did not make me feel that way and so I am genuinely sorry if I've hurt your feelings. It was unintentional.
Thank you. I appreciate your expressing this and the way in which you did it. Again, I know that you don't know me and haven't followed my story through this. So, it's all good.

I really hope you can hang around and take advantage of the help and support that is offered here. The people here CAN and will help you adapt and deal with this. You're getting great information now. Take advantage of it. You may never embrace your cpap the way a lot do, but I know you can cope with it.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 am

Kat
There is a thread going on the forum right now that you need to read, its called "Newly diagnosed - my story" by amyandtoby2011

I am happy to see that you have softened down the tone of your speach and are now asking for help. Please read the above thread, there is not one of us on this forum that has as many problems as this youg lady.....and she has such an attitude for coping with everything. Please read and good luck to you.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

nichola

Post by nichola » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 am

What is the other mask you have??

Id also look at another DME (the person who provides your equipment) if they arent letting you return masks that dont work for you. A good DME allows you to return masks within 30 days for a refund so you can try another one.

Do a google search for mask fitting for your mask. I had HUGE issues at first with fitting my mask. I have even higher pressures than you (19) and i was struggling with it leaking for a while. I found when i goggles that how i was shown to fit the mask by the DME was VERY wrong. he mask required a looser fitting and tighter at the bottom then the top.. it also showed me how to put it on so that i didnt crinkle the silicone seal meaning i leaked there. IT is also important to put the mask on with the machine running when you have high pressures. I found if i didnt i got leaking

The liners (as suggested by the t shirt also help).

Hopefully once you have been able to fit a mask rerasonably ok and worked out ramp you will get the hang of the machine Ramp was a HUGE thing for me starting with my p[ressures as i also get panic attacks and the full face mask with the damn air was casuing me to panic.

If the mask you have doesnt work for you you need to keep trying different masks. From the one you have now im assuming you are a mouth breather? That does make it more difficult, but theres a lot of styles out there. Dont give up... sleep apnea is a SERIOUS condition.. it can cause heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and a ton of other serious medical conditions, not just tiredness.. thats just a symptom in SOME of us

OntarioKevin

Post by OntarioKevin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:38 am

After reading thru this thread, seems to me you got shafted by some insurance scheme where you need to do thing A to get thing B.

He'll of a bad joke to make someone go thru CPAP therapy if you're not really convinced you need it, especially at your young age.

As far as I can tell, it takes a year or two to get the hang of this, and there are frequent setbacks. The manufacturers are hitting a niche market, so they don't try that hard to customize or explain to end users like us.

Hence this board.

Would LOVE to learn of a surgery that eliminates CPAP, by the way.

Ldrakekat

Post by Ldrakekat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:36 am

The problem with getting new masks is that they're so expensive and my supplier has not offered me a 30 day return. I just keep getting charged. I can't keep doing that, yet I read a thread on here somewhere where one person was mentioned that they TAPED the mask to their face..... I am so NOT willing to go there.....

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

Your supplier is ripping you off. They all receive sample masks that they use for fittings and trial periods. EVERY manufacturer provides a 30 day return policy for their masks..... not the DME, the manufacturer!! They get to return the mask to the company if you return it within 30 days. Some, less than honest, DME's even sell the samples and pocket the money. You have very right to a 30 day return policy on ANY mask you try. If your DME tells you otherwise, they are lying. Call your insurance and see what other DME's you can use in your area..... one will be more than happy to HONESTLY take your business.

If you aren't using insurance, or you live somewhere that only one supplier is nearby, consider the mask trial here: http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html Many forum members have used this service and found it excellent.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Resister

Post by Resister » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 am

YES--FIND A DIFFERENT DME! There really are some honest, decent people out there willing to work with you. In fact, my DME actually gave me his sample mask when I told them I was struggling to save every penny I could.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

Ldrakekat

Post by Ldrakekat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Resister wrote:YES--FIND A DIFFERENT DME! There really are some honest, decent people out there willing to work with you. In fact, my DME actually gave me his sample mask when I told them I was struggling to save every penny I could.
He said he was giving me the mask and letting me keep the old one as back up. Then I got a 3 figure bill in the mail a couple of weeks later! What a fink!

Resister

Post by Resister » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Go back and hold him to his word.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

w4rpe

Post by w4rpe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:39 pm

I have to be honest with you. I have read most of the posts here and have come to the conclusion that you were crying out from your very first post. I am to a newbie and I have been on this forum for about two weeks now and have found a brand new group of friends. So hang in here and let these good people help you to get a good nights sleep. AS I am having trouble with trying to get some good sleep also.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am

Kat started a new topic here:

"I still hate my cpap machine but...."
viewtopic.php?p=650540#p650540

Her first post in her new topic sounds much better!
Ldrakekat wrote:Last night was the first night since starting this therapy that I had a decent night's sleep. A whole 4 1/2 hrs. But I'm not complaining. Who would have thought that an scrap of T-shirt and the knowledge of what the ramp button was for would make such a huge difference? But it did and I am grateful. I would like to thank all the people who understood where I was coming from with my first post and responded with kindness and help. Help that I didn't even realize I needed. I just thought I had to put up with the problems and accept my lack of sleep as a new fact of life. Thank you Pugsy, Xenablue, Madalot (I might change my id to Madalot2), Ineedanap, lonestar, archangle, alshain, ameriken & Idamtnboy who actually made me laugh when I didn't think any of this was funny. And many others. You are all too kind.
And now I go to work with the feeling that I might actually have a productive day for the first time in nearly a month. Thank you all again.

Kat
Hope things keep improving for you, Kat. Hang in there...and in here!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

6 month

Post by 6 month » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm

It all sounds like your trying to sale c pap. I use it for 6 month I under stand the way he feels. My c pap is now a door stop, Just a way for doctor to make money on. I am very nice person until I use c pap every month I got less sleep and I got upset and mad. I try every thing to get it to work. It might work for some but I know more people that it just did not work. I still don't sleep will but I feel better with out it. I know the risk of not using it but as a told my doctor the c pap machine can go back to the hell hole it came from.