OT - Eyeglasses

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

OT - Eyeglasses

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:47 pm

After learning here how to not get screwed so badly on CPAP machines, I got to thinking about eyeglasses.

My last pair from the eye doctor's captive optician was $700. Yes, I have gotten excellent service from the optician, but $700!!!????

I had previously gone to a local "cheapie" eyeglasses place and gotten pretty good service there. I did have to watch them, though. They did one of the calculations wrong on one pair I ordered wrong, and would have made them to the wrong prescription if I didn't know how to read the prescription.

Cheapo Optical had charged me about $200 for a pair of noline bifocals the previous year. I went back and they wanted $300 if I wanted them in glass. Nobody wants to make glasses from glass anymore. They try to tell you it's because they're too heavy, but I think it's because they just don't want to go to the effort to support multiple technology. Cheapo acted offended when I asked for glass and said it would take 6 weeks.

I decided to do a little searching locally. A number of the other cheap eyeglasses places have gone out of business. I checked Sam's and Costco and wasn't happy with the prices at one, and the other wouldn't do glass any more. They were about half the price of the eye doctor's optician.

I decided to start checking for online eyeglasses. After some searching, I found a well reviewed seller. They did NOT offer glass, so I settled for plastic. I configured my order with no line bifocals, higher end titanium frames, spring hinges, and anti-reflection coating. I got them for around $70 including shipping. I'm happy with them.

I also use some computer glasses, because when I use the computer, I have to tilt my head way back to look through the reading portion. I configured them as cheap as I could (single vision, no coating, cheap frames.) I also ordered a pair of distance only for astronomy use. I got them for $20 for the pair including shipping. They were also fine.

I decided to order a few more spare pairs. I also decided to experiment a bit with the prescription for my computer glasses. The prescription I have needs to be just a bit closer. I know how to read an eyeglass prescription, so I just added 1/4 diopter to the existing prescription.

To order, you do have to have a "prescription" in the sense that you need the numbers. You do NOT have to send them a copy of the prescription. You just fill it in online.

The only hassle was that my #*$& eye doctor did not write the "Pupilary distance" on my prescription. I suspect this was not by accident. He also writes "good for only one year" on the prescription to force you to come back, so I assume this is not accidental. I had to figure out how to measure that on my own. There were some instructions for how to do this on the web site. I figured it out and got glasses that work pretty fine.

I like glass because it's very hard to scratch. I'm going to order a few spare pairs just in case I scratch or damage the ones I got. I ordered new cheaper noline bifocals for $35 each and am going to keep a spare pair in the car.

Anyway, the lesson is that you can save a lot of money online for glasses with a little effort on your part.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Janknitz

Re: OT - Eyeglasses

Post by Janknitz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:42 pm

I've thought of using those online cheapies. Even if the frames are chintzy, it's nice to have a spare pare, and to have computer glasses would be a great luxury I can't afford even from Costco (close to $200 still!). I have only one pair and I'm totally dependent on my glasses. I could not drive or work without them.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:32 pm

This is great, I had glasses I bought several years ago and then lost them (must be the sleep apnea). So I need to get another pair or two and this is some great advice. Does it matter who we're getting the initial eye test and prescription from or can we do that just about anywhere?
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 pm

ameriken wrote:This is great, I had glasses I bought several years ago and then lost them (must be the sleep apnea). So I need to get another pair or two and this is some great advice. Does it matter who we're getting the initial eye test and prescription from or can we do that just about anywhere?
On the site I used, zenni, the source didn't matter, just the numbers.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

FizzyWater

Post by FizzyWater » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I had no ideas you could get eyeglasses for cheap online! This is incredible. I'm going to have to check these out. My prescription changed this year, but because I need at least 2 pair (one regular, one compuater) and could go further and get special "reading" and "bifocal", I put off getting them ALL replaced because I didn't have $1000 this year in my medical budget. (The OSA disagnosis this year ate up all my budgeted funds for medical).

Began CPAP therapy 3/22/2011.

Some days, I guess there just aren't enough rocks -- Forrest Gump

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 pm

I guess I should count myself lucky here. I can get away with the cheap reader glasses that you can get at any drug store. I have about 6 pairs all over the place as I forget them everywhere.

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm

I recently purchased two pair of eyeglasses on line - one progressive bifocal and the other progressive bifocal sunglasses. I paid less for both than I would have paid for just one pair at Wallyword or Sam's. It was easy - just enter the numbers from the rx (I did have to make a trip back to the dr office for them to give me my PD, which they measured and gave me at not additional charge).

So far I am very pleased with my glasses, and would recommend Zenni to anyone that asked.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. Glad I remembered it. I just got my script today.
About how long does it take to get them?
I've been without this long, I figure a couple of weeks won't matter.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

I would like to find a (no line if possible) bifocal swim goggle (cheap)--
One I can wear while cutting onions.
Swim goggles work very well to keep the sulfur compound out of your eyes.
No tears at all--even cutting LOTS of onions.
I have seen some very inexpensive single vision--but no bifocals.

motherall

Post by motherall » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:39 pm

ameriken wrote:This is great, I had glasses I bought several years ago and then lost them (must be the sleep apnea). So I need to get another pair or two and this is some great advice. Does it matter who we're getting the initial eye test and prescription from or can we do that just about anywhere?

You have paid whomever you chose for your exam and the eye doctor by law must provide you a copy. If they're nice, they'll also give you the measurement for pupillary distance and bridge width and temple length. Mine did and was very nice about it.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Chunkyfrog, if you're cutting onions, hold a half piece of bread in your mouth to keep most of the onion spray out of your eyes. Works for me.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:03 am

Lizistired wrote:Thanks for posting this. Glad I remembered it. I just got my script today.
About how long does it take to get them?
I've been without this long, I figure a couple of weeks won't matter.
I think I've been getting mine in less than two weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if the time varies, though.

Useful Links.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:29 am

archangle wrote: I know how to read an eyeglass prescription, so I just added 1/4 diopter to the existing prescription.

It is illegal to change your own setting! You could be killed doing this!
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 am

NightMonkey wrote:
archangle wrote: I know how to read an eyeglass prescription, so I just added 1/4 diopter to the existing prescription.

It is illegal to change your own setting! You could be killed doing this!
If you fall asleep with eyeglasses that are of the wrong prescription, you could suffocate.

I've been trying to figure this out. I'm not 100% sure that a prescription is legally required for eyeglasses in the US. The eye doctors would sure like you to think it is, but I couldn't find a reference.

Useful Links.