Sterilizing A Used Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Sterilizing A Used Machine?

Post by archangle » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Tom W wrote:I would hope that rental machines get sterilized between patients....
Even hospital machines don't get sterilized between patients. They may get the inline bacteria filter.

The Respironics M series manual says, "If the device is used by multiple persons (e.g., rental devices), a low resistance, main flow bacteria filter should be installed in-line between the device and the circuit tubing to prevent contamination."

By the way, an inline filter may affect the way a bilevel or machine with exhale relief works.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I lent my (retired) S9 Elite to a relative for 3 days (didn't think---very smokey house)
The hose , mask and machine REEKED.
I washed the mask and hose twice.
I considered running the machine overnight in an enclosed space with an ozone generator, but couldn't find my O.Z.
Probably a good thing--I have since heard that ozone is very bad for electronics.
The smell was gone in a couple of months --all by itself.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Note that the original poster is asking about sterilizing the machine, not deodorizing the machine.

I'd hate to have a smoky smelling CPAP machine, but smells in the machine is a much different question than removing germs from the machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Oops, my bad.
On the subject of disinfecting; I feel that since we all breathe the same air,
the only people who should be concerned about germs in their machines might be those with compromised immune systems.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Bump.

Been watching this thread. Just bought a used machine and the previous owner was not as pristine about care of his machine as I have been.

Looks like adding an inline bacterial filter would be good? My ResMed book says to change those daily. ??

Have any of you brought used machine to dme, or some servicer or returned to mfgr for run-through?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 am

I just recently got my PR S1 BPAP Auto back from my local DME provider who handled the warranty replacement for me despite I obtained it elsewhere.

Earlier this year I took my 3 year old Resmed S8 VPAP Auto in to my local DME provider (who I got it from) for a maintenance, firmware check They replaced the acoustic foam, checked pressure output, etc. They provided a loaner while they had mine.

But then I have a good local provider. My first provider was a sheister, wouldn't provide a humidifier w/a different brand loaner APAP than my straight CPAP, wouldn't handle the recall of my out of pocket APAP, etc., etc., etc.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:24 pm

One could fill their bathtub with lysol then hold their head under the solution in excess of two minutes. This should solve their concerns about attacks by microorganisms.

On a serious note, my backup machine came from cl. I did a external wipe down using clorox wipes and used new filters, mask and hose.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18