Using Swift FX for Her.. but now....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hosehead_dolphy

Using Swift FX for Her.. but now....

Post by hosehead_dolphy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have been using the nasal pillows for her for a couple of months now and I LOVE the nasal pillows. But now I have a sore inside my nostril and it isn't healing. I have been sleeping with the nasal pillows with this sore, but it isn't healing and I think it is the pillow that gave me the sore. Has anyone else had this problem? and if so, what did you do to have it heal up? I still have my full face mask, but I didn't like it before. Do I need to go back to this mask till the sore heals?

apneawho

Re: Using Swift FX for Her.. but now....

Post by apneawho » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Not sure if you need to go back to mask to allow sore to heal. Someone else can answer that hopefully. Buy Lansinoh at drug store or WalMart, in the baby section. Nursing moms use it for sore nipples. Put a dab in each nare, not too much, morning and night. You can use the Lansinoh while wearing nasal pillow. Many members use it every day. I use Ayr gel occasionally, in nasal spray section of drug store, but I have not had an actual sore. I have been sore or dry but have not developed a sore. Hope that helps.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 pm

I use both the Swift FX for Her and the Swift LT and switch them out every few days or more often if my nostrils get irritated. If irritated I find the Lansinoh works great, but I don't get a great seal, so use it during the day when I'm not wearing the mask and that seems to alleviate the irritation.

If the sore/irritation is just inside my nostril/s, I put a tiny amount of Neosporin on the sore part during the day, which helps a lot.

Also, try readjusting your headgear and nasal pillows to a slightly looser, more comfortable fit.

Cheers,
xena

hosehead_dolphy

Post by hosehead_dolphy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Ok, Thanks for the info. I will buy some and try it. But does anyone know if I should stop using the pillows until this heals?

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 pm

I had a sore that wouldn't heal, and I had to switch masks to get it healed. Two nights with a nasal mask and I was good to go (which is good, because it was about all I could stand!).

If you want to take a break from the nasal pillows, but don't want to use the FFM, you could check with your DME and see if they have a nasal mask that you could borrow for a week. Mine was able to just give me an old sample mask that they had.

hosehead_dolphy

Post by hosehead_dolphy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Ok Thank you.. I will call them and see if they can lend me one. Appreciate the answers everyone!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Great suggestion, cowlypso.
My contribution: If it hurts; don't do it.
Lanisoh helps--maybe not enough if you're really sore.
Don't let anyone talk you into using any product containing petrolatum near silicone--it will damage it.
This includes Neosporin or any no-name similar product.

hosehead_dolphy

Post by hosehead_dolphy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Ok.. I just called my DME, and I will be picking up a nasal mask and using that till this heals. Hope it heals fast because I really love the nasal pillows! Thanks everyone for your answers!

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Great suggestion, cowlypso.
My contribution: If it hurts; don't do it.
Lanisoh helps--maybe not enough if you're really sore.
Don't let anyone talk you into using any product containing petrolatum near silicone--it will damage it.
This includes Neosporin or any no-name similar product.
Exactly chunkyfrog - which is why I only used the Neosporin during the day when I wasn't wearing the mask.

xena

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

When your nose is healed up enough to return to the nasal pillows, take some time to make sure they are properly fit. Properly fit nasal pillows should NOT irritate your nose. See the Swift FX Fitting Tips link in my signature.

In addition, make sure that your pillows are not old and worn out (which is a common reason to tighten them too much), that your headgear is not stretching out, and you may want to use some Lanisoh or Ayr gel on your nose as a lubricant to prevent further irritation.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 pm

The "Callus Theory" (as I've dubbed it) is that you want to avoid full blown sores, while at the same time not waiting so long to get back into pillows after a sore that you're starting from ground zero again. In short, you want to build tougher skin. But if it's a full blown sore I think you have no choice but to take a bit of time off and use a different mask.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 pm

If you decide that you need to change mask types, I recently changed to ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask and find that for me, it is the best out of all pillow, ffm, hybrid and nasal masks I have used. Very light & low profile. Very minimal and comfortable forehead piece and no need to fuss about nasal sores. I love it, ymmv

Edit to add: works great with my ASV and high fluctuating pressures (14/20), mostly zero leaks although I need chin strap and tape too.