air blowing on wife from vent

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaveLP

Re: air blowing on wife from vent

Post by DaveLP » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:21 pm

The pillow idea is a good one. The vents are there to keep you from re-breathing exhaled air that is rich in carbon dioxide (CO2).

I would also like to find an adapter to go between the mask hose and the main hose that would allow swiveling re-direction of the air flow. I could live with it blowing up toward my head or down past my chin as long as there was a slight angle involved to blow it away from skin.

Masks have a built-in leak factor and some machines let you enter the leak factor or mask brand in a menu so that it can create accurate numbers with a given leak factor. You'd think with that kind of complexity someone would design an inline adapter for what we are discussing! At $9.99 a pop they could get rich and retire sooner.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 am

Dear Wife,

I'm not sure if you have fixed the problem yet, but i have come up with a great solution. So here it is for you to use or for anyone who has stumbled upon the post with the same problem.

If you or a loved one is using the Resmed Swift Fx, there is the see-through portion where the exhausted blows out (the little L shaped bit where all the tiny pin sized hole are. What i've done is taken a yard of yarn and snuggly wrapped it around and around neatly. Starting at the base, i kept wrapping it tight, but not to tight,so that the yarn touches itself every time you do a revolution, so that the yarn is touching itself as you wrap it. I did this for the entire length of the L shaped piece and tied it with a smiple knot at both ends. By doing so it dissipated the flow of air so its not a stream of cold air blowing from the exhaust holesl it is/was a great, simple, inexpensive fix, to o a rather annoing problem. The best way i can explain what the "fix" looks like is to say that desired result looks like "vertical cat scratch post" (try looking that up in an image search using a search engine such as google.

Best Luck to all...please pass on this little gem to anyone who find the exhaust's air blowing ito be a nuisancel

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:41 pm

I saw somwehere (cannot recall where) where someone had got a small square of baking/parchament paper and attached it with once piece of blue painters tape above the exhaust holes. The paper and tape was arranged so that the exhaust could blow the paper up a little but not as far as 90 degrees. It then deflected the exhaust down or out the sides. The tape meant it was fairly easy to take off for cleaning and to reattach. Also pretty easy to build a new one.

Seems like a good idea if a bit fiddly to get the initial set up right. I could see there might be a problem if you rolled over on top of it so you were face down as the paper might then seal the exhaust. However, if you are face down even without he paper you are probably sealing the exahust so I'm not sure it is all that different.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Guest wrote:What i've done is taken a yard of yarn and snuggly wrapped it around and around neatly. Starting at the base, i kept wrapping it tight, but not to tight,so that the yarn touches itself every time you do a revolution, so that the yarn is touching itself as you wrap it. I did this for the entire length of the L shaped piece and tied it with a smiple knot at both ends. By doing so it dissipated the flow of air so its not a stream of cold air blowing from the exhaust holesl it is/was a great, simple, inexpensive fix, to o a rather annoing problem. The best way i can explain what the "fix" looks like is to say that desired result looks like "vertical cat scratch post" (try looking that up in an image search using a search engine such as google.
This sounds like it would block off a significant portion of the vent air flow. Not a good idea.
jeff

mjtb

Post by mjtb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:15 am

This is nuts. Build a pillow wall (that doesn't work or falls over), sleep on the other side (until he rolls over in his sleep), part of the territory, etc. Why can't they just make a mask that blows up above his head instead of straight out in front. I have been trying to sleep for years with a cold blast of 2nd hand air in my face for 8 hours a night. I am tired of sleeping with a blanket over my head to avoid it. Enough! My sleep is important too. I am moving to the guest room. Hey shark tank...build this business.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Face the opposite direction....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

LSAT wrote:Face the opposite direction....
I think she just wants the other bedroom

But just in case anyone reads this and wants to fix that venting issue because it annoys them...there are masks that you can't feel the vented air 1 inch from the vent holes and there are masks that vent to the top and there are masks that have optional diffusers on the vents to dramatically reduce the force of that vented air.
So it's fixable at the mask level if someone wants to try a new mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 pm

I used some 1/2 foam pipe insulator and cut a piece about six inches long. Then cut grooves on one end and used packing tape to fasten it to the mask. looks a little like an elephant trunk

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Aim the vent in the direction of your girl friend, she complains less than your wife! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Goofproof, that there is some funny stuff.

Sleeping Tiger

Post by Sleeping Tiger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 am

I found that one or two small travel pillows makes for a great pillow wall. I also had luck with a piece of cut foam. It really is a blast of cold air. However, during a heat wave, it becomes quite pleasant.

lalitbansal

Post by lalitbansal » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

But just in case anyone reads this and wants to fix that venting issue because it annoys them...there are masks that you can't feel the vented air 1 inch from the vent holes and there are masks that vent to the top and there are masks that have optional diffusers on the vents to dramatically reduce the force of that vented air.
Can you please suggest one? Would be buying a new mask soon.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I use the Brevida and my wife loves it. No more blowing in her face.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:47 pm

lalitbansal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:32 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Can you please suggest one? Would be buying a new mask soon.
P10. super diffused.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.