So what about that new "Transcend II" cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

So what about that new "Transcend II" cpap?

Post by plr66 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

What's with the 4 "handles" on the sides? And what's the deal with the battery description saying there's a pack so you can wear it on your arm or your chest? Seriously! It says that. I also get no idea from the photos on cpap.com about where the built-in humidifier is and how you fill it. Sorry. I suppose I should research further before commenting, but do wonder if anyone here has the scoop on this machine yet.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

cubiculum

Re: So what about that new "Transcend II" cpap?

Post by cubiculum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 pm

The Transcend was a wearable CPAP. You wore it with straps on top of your head. This machine appears to be the same, but is just not being advertised as a head-wear machine.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 am

1lb doesn't seem like a lot... until you are wearing it on your head.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 am

I still won't bite... not until they make 7' the standard mattress length... I'm almost 6' tall as it is and occasionally have a hard time fitting on a mattress, so with the added length of that machine, it would make things even more difficult for tall hosers such as myself.

jimnsc

Post by jimnsc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 am

Pretty expensive with no mention of a humidifier. Didn't tickle my fancy at all.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:24 am

Alshain wrote:1lb doesn't seem like a lot... until you are wearing it on your head.
Who would even consider wearing the machine on his/her head? Don't we suit up with enough stuff as it is? Geez.

carolyngoodman

Post by carolyngoodman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 am

Howdy,

I hope this provides some clarity on this product:

The updated Transcend II is a CPAP machine is used on the nightstand. It has optional kits if you want to wear it to be more mobile. It supports advanced data, weighs 0.9 lbs and is 6.1 inches by 3.5 inches by 2.8 inches. It can be used with any mask and attaches to any standard 6 foot hose. It has optional humidification via HME and optional automatic fail over batteries.

The original Transcend:
  • Had to be worn on your head
  • Used a 9 inch tube
  • Had a mask frame which used the mask cushion of a small range of popular nasal masks
  • Used an HME filter - for waterless humidification
  • Had only compliance data
  • Weighed 0.9 lbs
  • Had an optional battery that you could set up to automatically fail over from A/C to battery power in the event of a power outage
The new Transcend was updated to provide more options and information.
  • DOES NOT Need to be worn on the head. They redesigned the hose connection and designed an adapter so it can use a standard 6 foot hose and be used on the bedside just as any other CPAP.
  • Can be used with ANY CPAP mask
  • Has optional HME waterless humidification kits if you use it on the bedside or if you wear it on your head. With these options you would need to have a mask cushion from one of the nasal masks they are compatible with.
  • Has advanced data: AHI and Leak Detection, you can see a sample report here.
  • Still weighs 0.9 lbs
  • Still has an optional battery that you can set up to automatically fail over from A/C to battery power in the event of a power outage
Humidification options:
  • You can use one of the optional HME (heat moisture exchange) waterless humidification kits. The the Transcend is the first to use this technology with CPAPs, however, HMEs have been used in hospitals for many years.
  • You can use a stand alone heated humidifier
I will watch the conversation and will update the page to provide more clarity as questions arise.

- Carolyn
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 am

hmm, this may be good for those that like to run on battery power. I still justify the cost versus the features or lack of features. Its getting there....
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks, Carolyn Goodman for the detailed description of this machine here. I didn't find much detail on your website, and couldn't figure out the humidifying system. I have been away from the List a good deal in recent months, so had never noticed mention of this cpap before.

Now about that original model, (sorry if it's old news to everybody else)---I just can't help myself, but I think it is hilarious that one would ever have been invented, much less produced for wearing on one's head. I just can't imagine what they were thinking about, and can't keep from laughing out loud at the visual image. Could someone please post a photo wearing this machine all strapped on, with its batteries, its humidifying system, along with a chin strap, mask stabilizer strap, eye cups for air protection, mouth tape with nasal mask...Let's see, what have I forgotten?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Sleepy62

Post by Sleepy62 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 pm

WestCoastCdnGrl wrote:I still won't bite... not until they make 7' the standard mattress length... I'm almost 6' tall as it is and occasionally have a hard time fitting on a mattress, so with the added length of that machine, it would make things even more difficult for tall hosers such as myself.
I won't deny the fact that Transcend II is a challenge for your height. I have used Transcend since it was launched as a "Head-in" unit and find it just fine. I don't have to worry about my height and i am not tied down to any machine next to the bedside. It gives me the ability to roll-over and even get to "fall off the bed"..haha. Go try it on your head.

Sleepy62

Post by Sleepy62 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Alshain wrote:1lb doesn't seem like a lot... until you are wearing it on your head.
I find the 1 lb going onto my pillow. I feel the weight only when i sit up not during my lying down. Have a trial and i you will understand what i mean.

wbrown@umich.edu

Post by wbrown@umich.edu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:23 am

I've been using two Goodknight travel machines for over a decade, all over the world. I take two (one as backup), because I spend a lot of time "off the grid". I run them on whatever 12V-DC source is available (car battery, Li-ion, etc.). They're old & wearing out. Can the Transcend II be run directly from any 12V-DC battery, or does it require an intermediate transformer?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:35 am

Since the Transcend is a 19 volt system, it appears to need a proprietary transformer.
It is compact, and safer than rigging up a DIY solution.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Transc ... apter.html

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am

plr66 wrote:[snip] I just can't help myself, but I think it is hilarious that one would ever have been invented, much less produced for wearing on one's head. I just can't imagine what they were thinking about, and can't keep from laughing out loud at the visual image. [snip]

I'm with you. How is that comfortable? But don't get me started (again!). And, just because you can do something, should you?

I had way too much fun lampooning the concept of wearing machine on the head.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Transc ... chine.html

There seemed to be no clear advantage to such a concept, and many disadvantages. Only situation I could think of in which that concept would have legs is for someone who indulges in the new sport of extreme sleepwalking. I expect there'll be a reality show about that someday. But don't get me started about the inanity of most reality shows, ether.

Evidently the concept didn't catch on, so they made it a bedside unit. But they didn't bother to redesign the injection molded case, which would be expensive, so the vestigial remnants of its cranially mounted predecessor remain.

It appears Somnetics is a privately held medical device company based in Minnesota, and the Transcend is their only product. I've worked in product development for 30 years. When I was working in biotech, I worked for a number of small startups developing medical diagnostics and medical devices. Sometimes when somebody invents something, they lose the ability to rationally evaluate the merits and shortcomings of their invention, and develop a sort of tunnel vision borne of hope and, sometimes, desperation. That's why, when an inventor is successful in either selling his product or concept or small company, he sometimes quickly finds himself forcibly retired or moved to a position where he can do no harm, which allows a team of dispassionate product development types to make whatever changes need to be made to better the product, without being overruled by its inventor. I've seen it happen many times.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 am

My travel choice would, of course be this, as I can plug it into the car's lighter, (cheaply), and it has an awesome warranty.
Any long turn-around for repair is not a deal breaker, as this would be a back-up/travel unit.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/devil ... tflex.html