Best unit for central apneas

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ionizer

Best unit for central apneas

Post by Ionizer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:49 pm

What is the best cpap for treating central apneas ? Why? I have many central apneas and mixed apneas and I need a cpap. Sleep lab says I'm at a 11 cmwc whatever that means

Thank You,
Ionizer

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Hi Ionizer,

My non-professional opinion is the Puritan Bennett Goodknight 420E autopap. But I would suggest, if you can, to rent several auto-paps and use the software to determine which one works best for you. I think even the professionals would just be guessing. The best judge is the hard data.

Good luck!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

ionizer

Post by ionizer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:05 pm

So I'd have to rent 1 of each and buy the programs just to see what works good for me? Wow ! That could get expensive. How many would I have to rent 3,, 4, what do they rent for ?

Thanks for being so fast

Ionizer

BetterBreathinBob

Machine for Central Apneas?

Post by BetterBreathinBob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:09 pm

There is no machine to totally fix central apneas unless you are hooked up to a ventilator. True central apneas are caused by the brain not wanting to breathe,reasons are still not really understood. Most mixed apneas are really obstructive in nature.
The problem occurs in the lab when a patient is having a titration done and is having some problems adjusting to the CPAP. They cam hold their breathe and stack breaths causing the night techs to see what they think is central apneas.
If you're younger with no cardiac or neurological problems then this is what may have happened to you. Get retested!
If they are true centrals then sometimes a BIpap unit with a backup rate is used but most patients can't tolerate using these at night.

Good luck
Bob

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:12 pm

Could you narrow it down to just 2 units. The rental alone will probably pay for 1. Where do get the programs to check if its working?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:13 pm

Ionizer,

Are you buying yourself or do you have insurance that will pay for it (or some of both). If the first one you try works then you won't need to try anymore. If you find a good provider you wouldn't have to buy the software, they could check the data for you. Some insurance companies prefer renting at first to make sure the machine works for you.
Sincerely,

IONIZER

Post by IONIZER » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:23 pm

So if I bought only 1 since Im paying for this myself. What will it be?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:39 pm

You can buy the PB 420E with software for $599 at cpap.com. It's the one I use and it works great for me. It's got great features, is very high tech and is inexpensive compared to the other models available.

Getting back to your original post, you should know that a cpap will not treat central apneas. These are usually treated with medication. The trick is to find a cpap that avoids causing more centrals. The PB 420E is designed to do this.
Sincerely,

Ionizer

Post by Ionizer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:47 pm

THANKs Wader, I just might do that. https://www.cpap.com

: Ionizer :

Ionizer

Post by Ionizer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:01 pm

Where do I get the software for this 420E ?

-SWS

Treating Apneas

Post by -SWS » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:09 pm

Primary central apneas are best "treated" using BiLevel machines with timed mode.

AutoPAPs try their best to avoid inducing CPAP pressure-related central apneas---but they do not really "treat" central apneas that are either primary in nature or of origins unrelated to CPAP pressures.

Ionizer

Post by Ionizer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:15 pm

SWS, Acording to BBBOB most patients give false indications of central apneas. I read about the 420E having a method of detecting cardiac oscilations thus preventing added pressure onto central apneas.
Is this synopsis correct ?

Thanks

Ionizer

-SWS

Central and Mixed Apneas

Post by -SWS » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm

The 420e detection method of central apneas has a specificity rating only in the eighty-some percent range. That has nothing to do with treating central apneas. That cardiac oscillation technique is purely a method of detection---not treatment. With that said, the 420e attempts to detect central apneas so that it can avoid inducing yet additional central apneas (this sequence referred to as "runaway central") by simply NOT elevating pressure. Avoiding the induction of runaway centrals is not the same as treating central apneas. It is simply tantamount to "not worsening the central apnea situation".

My understanding is that most patients will manifest a few incidental events that either are genuinely central in nature, or test falsely positive as central. However, I was under the impression that this common case is not to be confused with the patient that returns significant rates of central apneas during the PSG. In that latter case, the patient most usually does manifest genuine central apneas. Again, even though those central apneas may be both significant and genuine, there is still the issue as to the actual origins of these central apneas. If they are a matter of central apneas having been pressure induced, then an AutoPAP that trys to avoids central apnea induction may or may not suffice. If it does not suffice, then the patient is on to a BiLevel machine with timed mode. If the central apnea origins are unrelated to CPAP pressure induction, then the patient is on to a BiLevel with timed mode as well.

-SWS

Nice Article

Post by -SWS » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:43 pm

I almost forgot to post this nice article discussing sleep-event types, including lack-of-consensus regarding definitions of mixed apneas and hypopneas:

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/Articles. ... d=S0104F07

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:45 pm

How do I really know if I'm having central apneas? The study said Mixed apneas,
Titrated at 11. cpap.

Thanks for the great explanation

Ionizer