Ticked Off

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Re: Ticked Off

Post by rested gal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Hose_Head wrote:I'm going to offer a different opinion on this. --- To control rainout with it, I use an Aussie hose. I need to power it with a 9 volt transformer because at its regular 12 volts, the air is too warm for me. The Aussie hose definitely heats the air!

I've used an Aussie heated hose for years, and I agree with Hose_Head. The air will be warmed at least a little by traveling through the Aussie heated hose rather than through a plain "un-heated" hose. Even with no humidifier being used.

A Repti heat cable would do the same thing.

As you correctly observed, Hose_Head...
Hose_Head wrote:Whether the Aussie hose will heat the air enough for the OP is an unanswered question.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 am

ErnieH wrote:When I received my Resmed S8 with the humidifier, I was told to start the humidifier at #3. Right away I started getting stuffy. For about two years I fought the stuffy head and sinuses. I finally disconnected the humidifier and all my problems went away. I thought the heated hose on the S9 would be connected to the humidifier but you could use it sepretley. I think I'm going to try the reptile cable, and if that doesn't work I'll buy the heated hose from Australia.

My thanks to everyone,
Ernie
Ernie: when I started cpap therapy, I used my humidifier. After a while, I started getting rainout, and it totally freaked me out. I tried all the methods to stop it but was not successful. I disconnected the humidifier, and never went back. I don't mess with the tank, water, cleaning and the risk of spilling water on my machine and shorting it out. My mouth is a little dry, at night and in the morning, but manageable. I do use it if I'm plugged it have sinus issues. Think outside the box.

Sheriff

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 am

ErnieH wrote:When I received my Resmed S8 with the humidifier, I was told to start the humidifier at #3.
Ernie... are you sure the humidity was the issue? a setting of 3 is in the middle of the range if I remember correctly and maybe it was too low of a setting for you. Maybe give it a try again, but turn it up to 5. A warm humid air is generally well tollerated for sinus problems and is one of the treatments that I use when I have bad sinus congestion. In fact, this past week I have had a nice cold and have been unable to inhave through my nose due to nasal conjestion and when I go to bed at night, with my humidifier turned on 5 out of 6, about 20 - 30 minutes in my nasal passages are clear. I wake up and can bretah easily for at least half of the day because of it.

Anyhow, I'm just saying give it a try again and see if it might have been set to low and was causing issues due to dryness.

John

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

I have never had rainout. I think my problem was the fact that we had enough moisture in the house and the additional moister from the humidifier gave me the problem. I don't wake up dry at all.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm

ErnieH wrote: I think my problem was the fact that we had enough moisture in the house and the additional moister from the humidifier gave me the problem.
Seems odd if you didn't have rainout. Can you measure the relative humidity in your house to find out? Or you could just give it a try with the humidity turned up. I think you might be surprised at how good your sinuses will feel. Cleans them out like going into a steam bath.

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 pm

We have 38% in the winter time. I'm guessing if you don't have enough in the house, you would have to use the humidifer.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

ErnieH wrote:We have 38% in the winter time. I'm guessing if you don't have enough in the house, you would have to use the humidifer.
Not necessarily... right now in northeastern Ohio, it is 78% humidity outside and we have our windows open. I know if I were to turn my unit on and run it without the humidifier, I would wake up with a sore nose in the morning. By adding a little extra concentrated humidity to that line, I wake up with a refreshed nose in the morning.

It's your call, just saying maybe give it a shot. You said you and your wide like to keep the room cool, and humidity helps make the air feel a little warmer (nor sure if that is scientifically correct but I think you understand what I am trying to say). That's why some people up north run a whole house humidifier to help make their homes more comfortable in the winter time.

- John

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

There are some people who live in the desert southwest with minimal relative ambient humidity who use their humidifiers in passover mode (water but no heat) and even some people who don't use a humidifier at all.
These people find that any added moisture creates nasal congestion. It is simply the way their bodies are.
While I personally cringe when I think about it there is nothing wrong with it. It is not abnormal any more than my needing more moisture is abnormal. It is normal for that individual and I can understand when OP here says he found that adding moisture made the congestion worse. I don't doubt it at all. He knows his body just like I know mine.

Now me... it could be pouring down rain with windows open and I would still need added moisture. That is just the way my body is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:07 pm

I don't know what the problem is with some of you. I tried a humidifier for over two years.... almost three. Once I got off the humidifier I've been great! In other words I went back to being NORMAL!! Sorry I don't feel the joy of having to use one.

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:23 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention.... During the almost three years I tried the humidifier I didn't just leave the setting on three, I tried going back and forth with all settings the whole time.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm

actually there's a 3rd option that you could have tried... have the humidifier attached with no water in it and don't turn it on.

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 pm

At first I thought you could take the S9 attach the heated hose to the humidifier (without water) and turn on the heat.

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

The heated hose on the S9 only works with the humidifier on... it works in conjunction with the humidifier where you set the air temperature you want and it will adjust the water and hose temperature to achieve the desired air temperature with a relative humidity of 80%. There is no way to turn on the heat in the hose without also heating the humidifier chamber, and doing so without water in it could cause damage to the machine.

(yet another Jeff)

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:22 am

ErnieH wrote:I don't know what the problem is with some of you. I tried a humidifier for over two years.... almost three. Once I got off the humidifier I've been great! In other words I went back to being NORMAL!! Sorry I don't feel the joy of having to use one.
Ernie: as Pugsy stated, some folks need a humidifier and some don't. There is nothing wrong with them. Each person is different. Forget the humidifier.... I still don't know why you feel you need a heated hose. A heated hose is to prevent rainout.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:35 am

Sheriff Buford wrote: I still don't know why you feel you need a heated hose. A heated hose is to prevent rainout.
I think Ernie wants simply warmer air going into his nose. In a cooler bedroom with no humidifier it is going to be pretty cool air hitting the nose. I turn my heat down to 50 at night during the winter. My bedroom faces north and this little old farmhouse has minimal insulation in it. It gets cold in there. I can understand wanting warmer air going up my nose even if I didn't need a humidifier. It has nothing to do with rain out.

I don't know if the reptile heater fix will supply enough heat to warm the air enough but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.