Build Home Sleep Lab < $1000

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fiberfan

Re: Home Sleep Lab < $1000

Post by fiberfan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:ongoing severe PLMD (diagnosed) :snip: like no caffeine after 11 AM
I don't know how it affects my PLMD but caffeine = bad rls for me. While the peak of the RLS is somewhat tied to when I drank a diet coke, it impacts RLS all night. In July I was drank a diet coke instead of something caffeine free because my asthma was bad (caffeine is the lest side effect asthma med for me) - I expect it will take a few years before I forget enough about the lack of sleep that night to be desperate enough to consume caffeine again.

Question on the zeo headband. When I wear a ffm with a forehead brace, I end up with a headache in the morning. Is the zeo headband similar enough to a athletic forehead sweat catcher that I could checkout the headache risk of using a zeo?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:19 pm

I emailed the seller. He said he could probably fix the account issue on monday. I hope so because I would like to zoom in more. I know I was awake more than the unit is showing. I'll try better sleep hygiene tonight.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Fiberfan, I'm afraid if the forehead piece of a FFM give you a headache, then the Zeo might, too. I wear mine a little tighter than I wore the mask head piece, which was designed to be worn on the loose side. It is not uncomfortable for me, but it is snug. The contacts must stay in contact with the skin. The contacts are a cloth-like material set in the thin, soft, cloth backing of the sensor/transmitter, which is plastic. I wear it snug, but not so tight that it leaves marks.

I put the sensor/transmitter where the forehead piece of the Quattro FFM would attach to the headgear. I do not use the Zeo band. I discarded all of the forehead pieces from the mask and now attach it to the headgear with a band of velcro that goes from one side the headgear to the other. The velcro passes in front of the mask where the forehead pieces were attached, and is held there by a little wire clip I fashioned. The result is that the vertical "stem" that held the forehead pieces now rides just in front of the Zeo sensor and can be made tighter or looser by adjusting the attachment of the velcro band to the headgear. The bottom of the mask is attached normally.

Sorry about the longwinded explanation of how I wear it. I know you have a different mask, but I thought somebody might be interested.

BTW, what time of day did you drink that diet coke? Does it matter? I can not imagine giving up coffee entirely. It's the only thing I've got left!

Jay

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm looking for ward to looking at naps with this. Sometimes a short nap... with the machine... is much more refreshing than trying to sleep all night. I might be due for one now...

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Lizistired wrote:.
With the console graph, I was able to confirm what I thought was REM in ResScan. It also appears that my leaks happen mostly in deep sleep. Something to watch.
So far so good.
Well, that might explain your lack of deep sleep. Maybe the leaks are waking you just enough to interupt it.

I know my leaks occur mostly on my back, where I might expect to get deep sleep, but last night I had 0 leaks and I got less deep. Go figure. Of course, one night does not make a trend.

It seems you should be able to sign on to the site. If the machine has already been registered, maybe you (or the seller) could sign on with that username/password and then change the user profile to yours.

I don't remember what it took to originally register mine.

Anyway, I know you're getting anxious to get it up and running. There is software available (beta) to run on your own computer. However, that should be last resort, I think, because I believe they're mutually exclusive. If you want a link to the software, let me know and I'll try to find it.

Jay

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 am

Liz, what was this?
Lizistired wrote:GRRRR hate it when a post disappears.
What results did you get last night?

Jay

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 am

Are there any ways to distinguish whether ones apneas are central or not at home?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:21 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Liz, what was this?
Lizistired wrote:GRRRR hate it when a post disappears.
What results did you get last night?

Jay
That was just frustration because I had just typed a long post and it disappeared so I had to start over.
I felt so rotten yesterday, I decided to take a nap about 6pm. I didn't wake up til 10:30 and went right back to sleep till almost 1am. I got up for about 2 hours, of course looked at data... went back to bed about 3 and slept pretty good til 7am. Lots of interesting dreams in the second sleep. Maybe the brain has to complete work before it can play.

Zeo apparently uses the sleep rating you put in when you wake up in it's calculations.
I think the first time I got up, I rated it 3. I took a picture of the graph.
The second time I got up, I rated it a 4. I took a picture of the graph.
After I got up the 2nd time the Zeo added deep sleep to my first graph. It added 1 segment/block, and added segments/blocks to the existing ones, as below.
2nd: 3-2-2-1-2-2-4
1st: 3-1-2-_-2-2-3
My ZQ went from 72 to 115. I may have just confused it.
Any insight on this?
It also doesn't show me being awake around 10:30, but I wasn't awake very long. Are there changes that show up when you zoom in on the software that don't show up in the 5 min graph?

Edit: Myzeo sent me a new serial number to register with.
What were you saying about being able to see the data at 30 second intervals? How are you doing that?

Last edited by Lizistired on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Axxel wrote:Are there any ways to distinguish whether ones apneas are central or not at home?
Not without software. I'm not familiar with your machine or it's capabilities. If you start a new thread and ask, someone will be able to help you.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:07 pm

When you put the headset back after a certain length of time, It asks you how you slept. You enter a subjective number based on how you feel when you wake up. It remembers that number. It also asks you (on the site) how you felt that day. It doesn't really use them in calculations, they become part of your sleep log (journal) for reference. I'm not sure what your display is telling you. I really only use the site. Currently, as I understand it, the site is not programed for naps, but a modification is in the works. I know, at least I think, that shorter duration sleep periods are disregarded. The display should hold the last sleep period until another of some? duration replaces it.
I'm also confused about the number reference 3-2-2-1-2-2-4 . My graphic display has W R L D for wake, rem, light, deep as thy Y axis. The x axis is time. You can scroll time and it defines each segment...
Hey, I see you snuck in an edit while I was typing.
...OK I'm just going to leave that. I think if you get signed on to the site, lots of questions will be answered.
Look back up a couple of posts and you'll see a 30 sec segment graph that I posted. The one in blue. This is how I did it: On the site there is a button "export data" or some such. It downloads your uploaded info from your card in CSV format. If you put that into a spreadsheet using the data to column function (or whatever's appropriate for your spreadsheet app) you can then pull out the 30 sec detail for any day and put that into another spreadsheet. (this time it will be SSV) The thing is that there is a lot of data here. 8 hrs times 60 min times 2 is 960 data points, so you need to pull it out to make it manageable to work with. After it's in the new spreadsheet, you can look at it or graph it. Btw, I'm using OpenOffice docs. Not all spreadsheet apps will take the original amount of data.
ZQ is a measure of sleep quality: Plus for length of time, REM, DEEP, minus for times wakened, time awake. A ZQ of 115 is extremely high. Last night mine was 56.
To show on the basic graph, the event must have a duration of more than approx 2.5 minutes. I don't know what for the 30 sec. Maybe 15 sec? That's a shortcoming. Arousals less than 10 seconds will not show.
Sometimes the Zeo will get it wrong. Awake vs asleep etc., but I've been more than pleased with what I regard as the accuracy.
Look at the site, look at that graph above, and then see what questions you have.
j

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Lizistired wrote: Zeo apparently uses the sleep rating you put in when you wake up in it's calculations.
I think the first time I got up, I rated it 3. I took a picture of the graph.
The second time I got up, I rated it a 4. I took a picture of the graph.
After I got up the 2nd time the Zeo added deep sleep to my first graph. It added 1 segment/block, and added segments/blocks to the existing ones, as below.
2nd: 3-2-2-1-2-2-4
1st: 3-1-2-_-2-2-3
The numbers are how many bars the graph showed in each segment of deep sleep. 5 min each I assume.
When I compared the 2 graphs for the same time period. The second segment was 2 bars instead of 1. An additional bar was added between the 3 & 4th segment and added a bar to the last segment.

I can't see any reason the previous data would be changed, but it was.

I got logged in, downloaded and finally got a chart. My eyes are glazed over now.
Thanks for your help.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Just a guess. I think what you were seeing was two separate sleeps. I think when you put the headset back on the console and tell it how the sleep was, it resets. When you put the headset back on, it starts a new sleep session. As you said earlier, you may have confused it by having two sessions in one day. I know there is a glitch with naps, but since I don't take them, and I really don't use the console that much I can't say how it works.
Tomorrow morning should give you some insight.
j

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I wouldn't have worried much since the O2 didn't drop, but it's nice to know I was awake during this since I have never seen this pattern before.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:20 am

Now, here's a bad night. An example of when the numbers are good, AHI=2.2, but you feel like crap. Note all the awake time, no deep, ZQ=38. I was aware of waking a few times, but Zeo counted 10.
Sorry the image is so small. Havent figured out sizing yet
Jay

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am

You did have a bad night!
I'm just going to tell it 3 every morning for now.
It took me awhile to figure out the charting last night. I like how it is translucent. Really handy for overlays.
I don't remember taking the mask off. I just remember waking up and was suprised that I had to feel for it to realize it was off. Guess I'l turn SmartStart back off.
I actually feel pretty decent this morning.