heavy head sweats and tachycardia now...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
graciegram

Re: heavy head sweats and tachycardia now...

Post by graciegram » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:20 am

My heavy head sweats and a-fibs are when I am walking around a store shopping. Sometimes I have not been walking very long. One time it was after 1-1/2 hours. Last Sunday it was after maybe 40 minutes. That was the only reason I was worried about walking much. I have to walk a football field to get to my desk at work. I was getting terrified of going to work and that long walk. Doing okay on the two meds. I was also breaking out in a head sweat today just sitting at my desk. I am also interested in the med some folks mentioned that sounded like Rhythmol (rhythym). I wonder if it would help me. Pat in OlyWA
This is sweet baby Gracie born 9-12-2009.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:27 am

Hi Gracie,

Just wondering if, in everyone's rush to fix your cardio problems, which of course should always come first, is it possible that you are simply having normal menopausal sweats and slight tachycardia which can accompany them, and that the symptoms will pass once you're through the 'change'?

Has anyone looked into the possibility?

I also wonder why you cannot go to Wal-Mart for e.g. 45 minutes when you need something specific, or even to browse one part of the store, rather than thinking you can't go at all unless you manage 90 mins at a time? Silly question maybe, but why does it have to be all or nothing?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:35 am

Gracie, you are right about the rhythm being the "root" word from which the anti-rhytymic drug Rythmol derives. But the correct spelling is Rythmol. I checked 'cause I had this strong impulse to correct my cardiologist's spelling. And, of course, now I am taking it so see it spelled on my script bottle every time I open it.

I think there are different forms of Rythmol 'cause my cardiologist first mentioned 4 x a day for an anti-rhythmic (maybe he was thinking of another one) but I stopped him in his tracks at that point and flat out told him, any dosing more than 2 x daily AIN'T A GONNA HAPPEN! One x a day, 2 x a day, that's it. No more than that. I won't remember or will get confused, did I or didn't I? So the EXACT med I am on is: Rythmol SR 225 mg capsule 1 two x daily.

Whether an anti-rhythmic would be of benefit to you only your cardiologist can answer that question.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

graciegram

Post by graciegram » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Still having a-fibs. Talked to the nurse Friday and she said Warfarin would be the next med, and I should talk to the doc Monday if still having. (He was gone out of town). I just checked as I was sweating heavily while trying to cook at the stove, and the pulse was 122. (On the BP machine). I am 61 and thought I already did menopause. I can ask the doc about it anyway. Pat in OlyWA

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi - Even if you've 'done' menopause there are other hormonal issues that could affect you, plus thyroid problems and others - certainly worth looking into.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 am

The way it was explained to me is that I am on Coumadin (warfarin) to reduce the risk of blood clots from blood pooling in the atria during fibrillation; Toprol (metoprolol succ) to slow the heart beating and Rythmol (propafenone) to correct the heart rhythm.

Cardizem (diltiazem) was the original choice to slow the heart beats for me as it also is reported to have some positive effects on COPD which I also have but ran into edema w/it so was switched to Toprol in its place.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

graciegram

Post by graciegram » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 am

I wandered off to a cardio board and was reading about various digestive and afib connections. I have been trying taking some of the probiotics lately. Tomorrow I get to see the doc again and maybe he will put me on the Warfarin. I am a computer person and analytical by nature and I surely wish I could see a connection between the afibs and something. So far I cannot find a connection. It makes me feel strange to have these heavy head sweats. I don't know my heart is racing. Sunday I was at 122 pulse. Waking I had been at 70. Pat in OlyWA

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:48 am

How are you measuring your pulse? W/a BP monitor? An oximeter?

I use both. I used my oximeter at first which I bought because of my COPD. After the A fib I started taking my BP w/my hubby's BP monitor. Altho I had no problems w/feeling dizzy or lightheaded I was a little uneasy w/the BP readings as they were pretty low. But the HR from the BP monitor and the oximeter agreed or were w/in 1 bpm of each other. And hubby says his BP on the monitor coincides w/what they've been getting at his doctor's office. Mine don't because I take my BP first thing in the morning before any real activity whereas w/the COPD by the time I get to my doctor's office I'm not rested enough for my BP to go back down from the exertion. (I'm on 02 24 x 7).

For instance this AM my BP was 93/69 w/61 HR making for a 24 Pulse Pressure. My last doctor visit at 1 PM my BP was 127/70 making for a PP of 57. (I don't remember the HR).

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Put your analytical talent to use and look up the correlation between afib and low cellular magnesium...

graciegram

Post by graciegram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:25 am

Just wanted to report in that I am taking magnesium. I started a walking program of 30 min on my lunch hour. I am amazed that my BP and pulse are looking better already. I can't walk very far - I chose a park where I can sit down periodically. You have to start somewhere and this is better than no exercise. I need to drop a bunch of weight. No trouble walking and having a-fibs. Monday I go back to the cardio doc. Hope my BP and pulse look better then. He's given me a month to decide about the Coumadin vs Pradaxal. I see the sleep doc next week. Filling out lots of paperwork for him. I'm trying to use a mouth guard retainer at times. To keep the mouth closed. I was surprised to read here about people taping their mouths closed. Maybe I will have to try that. I am just trying to picture folks with the blue painter's tape on. At least it's not too sticky. I tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs but I can't seem to stick with that. I want to kick it out of the way. My shoulder that I had the arthrosccopic surgery on has been achy this week. I must be trying to sleep on it. I seem to prefer that side. I try to put a pillow at my back so I won't roll onto that side. Anyone have any good ideas about how to stick to one side? All I think I've read of it the sewing a tennis ball on to the sleepwear. Got to go to sleep. Nite all. Thanks for your help. Pat in OlyWA

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 am

Coumadin can be a PITA because of the INR blood draws that must be done to monitor your levels - but Pradaxa has a higher risk of GI bleeds and since I have Crohn's disease my cardiologist wouldn't even consider it - and nor did I once I learned of the higher GI bleed risk since I am already at higher risk due to the Crohn's.

GOOD ON YOU w/those walks in the park w/the benches to rest on during your lunch hour!!! That's a good choice of location for your walks! And, of course, the decision to make those walks was a wise one.

graciegram

Post by graciegram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Finally got in to see the sleep doc. He took my list of meds to the computer and came back with the advice that I should quit at least 3 of them due to a-fib side effects. I am trying that out now. Still walking 30 minutes on lunch hours (3 times last week). Walking seems to be doing me the most good right now. Still breaking out in a sweat after an hour in Walmart shopping. No big jump in pulse on BP machine: 94 then 84. Hanging in there... Pat in Oly WA

graciegram

Post by graciegram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I forgot to add: did an overnight oximetry (on the finger) and I was fine. Pat in Oly WA

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 am

RE AFib:

Have you found this useful site?

http://afibbers.org/

In the section about magnesium, they offer this useful method of insuring magnesium intake. Using milk of magnesia + seltzer water, you make you own magnesium rich mineral water that contains exactly 167 mg of magnesium per liter, completely ionized and absorbable. With supplements in pill form, you don't know how much is actually absorbed.

http://afibbers.org/resources/Wallerwater.pdf