United Airlines and CPAP policies REPORTING AFTER TRAVEL

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gustave

Re: United Airlines and CPAP policies REPORTING AFTER TRAVEL

Post by Gustave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi "Rosacer",

If you go to this link, I think you'll find answers to your questions.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm

Get a look in middle of the page, the title is:

Disability-related items permitted through the security checkpoint include:

CPAP machines & respirators

I found this link at:
http://www.united.ca/core/english/SI/ba ... rryon.html

Personally I traveled with my CPAP and a bottle of distilled water, and a copy of my prescription (or doctor's letter) and I had no problem.

Have a nice trip!

Gustave

araminta

Re: United Airlines and CPAP policies

Post by araminta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
rosacer wrote:Hi
You can ask to board first as you have a medical issue and you need too use a wheely due to physical limitations. That way there is always room for it.
no longer works for United -- they now are charging extra for using space in the overhead bin and last week wouldn't let me board early with my cpap unless I shelled out the extra pesos.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm

I am shocked and disappointed and sorry you had to shell out the dough. How much? Were you able to carry on or did you have to check it? I am sure this will spark some discussion and research.

araminta

Post by araminta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Disgusted with how most of the airlines are gouging customers right and left, I declined to pay the extra fee. Instead,I gambled that I'd get a spot in the overhead compartment -- which I did.

This was a flight from Canada to US

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:44 pm

araminta wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:
rosacer wrote:Hi
You can ask to board first as you have a medical issue and you need too use a wheely due to physical limitations. That way there is always room for it.
no longer works for United -- they now are charging extra for using space in the overhead bin and last week wouldn't let me board early with my cpap unless I shelled out the extra pesos.
A reason to avoid flying United.
araminta wrote:This was a flight from Canada to US
Canada is on pesos now?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

araminta

Post by araminta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:50 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
Canada is on pesos now?[/quote]

Coming with my feeble US dollar, I felt like a poor south-of-the-border relative.

xyz

Post by xyz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Do they require that your cpap machine go through their xray scanner (on the belt), or can it be passed around it?

araminta

Post by araminta » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 pm

xyz wrote:Do they require that your cpap machine go through their xray scanner (on the belt), or can it be passed around it?
I don't have any hesitation about having my cpap go thru the xray scanner. yes they did so, with no protest from me.

busylady

Post by busylady » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Just returned from a Continental/United flight from mainland to Hawaii, and Hawaiian Airlines to another isle. (Flew U.S. Airways a couple weeks ago.) These were my first trips with CPAP. I have normal CPAP bag that I attached a medical equipment tag to. The machine went thru xray with no extra examination on all but one flight. That one, the TSA guy asked to open it. I asked him to use new/clean gloves. He commented that he'd never been asked that, but no problem. He was kind and joked about "fresh" gloves, with my comment that I'd not been called "fresh" for years, if ever. He wiped it down with one of those cloths and scanned the cloth to make sure I wasn't carrying bad chemicals. Just doing his job.

On all 10 flights I lined up with the 1st class, early seating group and only sometimes did I mention "medical equipment" as they checked my ticket. No one questioned me. My hubby liked my new "disability" so that we could be seated early. That way you can be sure your CPAP is located near you in the bins. We did fly a 'red eye' back from Hawaii, but our 757 did not have electric outlets to use it. Don't think I would have anyway unless I was in 1st class. Where would you put it in those little spaces?

I did get frisked when I wore a flowing skirt, but that is so comfortable for traveling. I too am such a terrorist threat. Nice grandma with her knitting in tow.
Avatar is one of 200+ elephants in a collection started when I was in kindergarden. Thought it was appropriate.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:08 am

When I first started flying with my CPAP in 2005 I would leave it in the bag and put it through the X-Ray scanner, then at some point I was told that I needed to take the machine out of the bag and put it in a tray, just like I did with my laptop. Occasionally it would get pulled and swabbed, but that hasn't happened in a while now. I've never gotten a medical equipment tag for the bag, but I've had some TSA people who seem to be familiar with the logo on the bag and are aware that it's for a CPAP. I've never tried to use my CPAP as a third carry on, but I keep a printout of the TSA regulations in the bag in case I ever have to and someone questions it.

I never tried to use the CPAP as an excuse to board early, as I always thought that was limited to people in wheelchairs; my late wife had to travel with a scooter her last few years, and it was nice being able to get on first, particularly when we flew on Southwest. I've also never had a problem having room for my carry on bags, though. My CPAP goes under the seat because I'm not going to risk someone deciding to shift it to make room for their oversized bag.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

NCHawk wrote: Is a container of distilled (or other) water for a CPAP considered "medications required to take"?
Nope. If it is more than the 3 ounce limit, it's not allowed. Whether you can talk them into it is another issue, but "by the book" it's not allowed.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

gmama55

Post by gmama55 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I am flying from Vancouver,Canada to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in February and am going US Airways to Phoenix,short stop over,then on to Mexico, what should I know/do to assure I will be able to take my Cpap on the flite with me?

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:09 pm

LinkC wrote:
NCHawk wrote: Is a container of distilled (or other) water for a CPAP considered "medications required to take"?
Nope. If it is more than the 3 ounce limit, it's not allowed. Whether you can talk them into it is another issue, but "by the book" it's not allowed.
I was able to talk an agent into allowing me to take 3-16oz bottles of distilled water. They were Propel bottles I put distilled into to make it easier to carry and labeled them.

They have litmus paper they can use to test the water. Keep in mind the stores at your destination can be out of distilled water.

I don't understand the reason but they are looking for peroxide. So don't try to bring peroxide or you may get a private interview.

Not allowing even a small amount of toothpaste in a large tube must be a way to prevent C4 is all I can think. Cuz IF it has been reduced to less than 3oz I don't see the problem but they sure won't allow it.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:25 pm

gmama55 wrote:I am flying from Vancouver,Canada to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in February and am going US Airways to Phoenix,short stop over,then on to Mexico, what should I know/do to assure I will be able to take my Cpap on the flite with me?
Gmama... as long as you have your kit tagged as "medical equipment," then US Airways MUST let you take it on the plane, as previously noted.

The people who do the pre-security screening at YVR (both domestic and international flights) all know about CPAP equipment... just mention to them that it's a CPAP unit and they'll take care when handling it... I flew YVR-Toronto back on the May long weekend and they didn't even seem to care what was in the bag - they were more interested in busting someone behind me who happened to have some contraband in their carry on... they sent my kit through x-ray without so much as a second look before pouncing on the person who was a few spots behind me

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:35 pm

One other thing, G... I would definitely carry with you a doctor's note or a letter explaining that you have OSA... you likely won't need it, but it doesn't hurt to have it with you. I have mine and a letter from my DME stuck into individual plastic sleeves and put into a duotang that fits into the front pocket of my kit bag... that way, if I have any problems at the airport, I have the documentation at hand and, God Forbid, I need to order emergency replacement equipment, I have copies of the prescription to fax/take to the appropriate places.