Anyone feel better on Cpap vs BiPap or vice versa?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
charlestek

Anyone feel better on Cpap vs BiPap or vice versa?

Post by charlestek » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Just started my first week with bipap. It looks like my AHI's as read by the S9 machine are lower than my S8 cpap.

However, I have not noticed any improvement in sleep quality or how I feel during the day. If anything, I may be feeling a bit worse, feeling fairly tired.

Anyone notice better or worse sleep quality with one modality vs the other, assuming the AHI and leakage is about the same???

Thanks.

Buford

Re: Anyone feel better on Cpap vs BiPap or vice versa?

Post by Buford » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:49 pm

When I gained weight I was moved from a Cpap to a Bipap, with the RX turned all the way up 25/15. That helped a lot, big improvement.

Then I lost 100 lbs. but did not change the Rx. Recently to get a new machine I returned to a sleep lab. I still need a Bipap but my new Rx is 15/7.

I don't have the same energy as before, I could be tempted to bump the Rx up and see if it helps.

I hope that someway helps you.

If your AHI is better I would stay with what works. It may take a while to "feel" better? When in doubt trust your instruments.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:58 pm

I feel much better on the PR System One BiPAP than I ever did on the Resmed S9 APAP. For me, it's aerophagia issues. They were my constant and unwelcome companion for the three months I used the S9. While switching to the bipap did not eliminate the aerophagia issues, it did take a substantial bite out of them.

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 pm

after being on bipap for two weeks i wonder why they even sell cpap/apap. it is so much easier to breathe it's no wonder so many fail cpap

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Yes.
How are your leaks? Post a graph of your daily data for more help.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:26 am

charlestek wrote:Anyone notice better or worse sleep quality with one modality vs the other, assuming the AHI and leakage is about the same???
I'd like to know that also since my sleep doc is suggesting I change to bipap if and when I have another sleep study and it confirms their thinking. I just got used to my cpap and am not really, totally, absolutely used to that yet.

I really dislike change!

Roger

fiberfan

Post by fiberfan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 am

I switched to a bi-level after increased asthma problems made it too hard to breathe out against the pressure many nights. This was even with the S9 AutoSet's EPR set to 3. I definitely feel better on the bi-level. Based on needing EPR of 3 even before the asthma got worse and my experience with the bi-level, I expect I would have done better on the bi-level even before the increased asthma. It took a few minutes to get the settings so the S9 VPAP Auto's switches between IPAP and EPAP in sync with my breathing and since then I am a happy camper when the Quattro FX isn't leaking.

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 am

fiberfan wrote: I definitely feel better on the bi-level. Based on needing EPR of 3 even before the asthma got worse and my experience with the bi-level, I expect I would have done better on the bi-level even before the increased asthma.
Did you find it harder to get used to the increased pressure? Also, did it require a different type of mask?

Roger