Numbers good, feel bad? Maybe it's your Meds

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mary Z

Re: Numbers good, feel bad? Maybe it's your Meds

Post by Mary Z » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 am

Jay, in answer to your question I got no better results from AUTO than straight CPAP. Maybe I'll give it another try.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:43 pm

pollyanna40 wrote:my data is very good,No apnea's,No leaks,Good deep Sleep!! i feel soooo bad during the day!! still tired as!! i have No other Meds at all,None!! still having tests to see why im still daytime tiredness!! just blood tests and E.N.T appointments!! but in most people yep Meds maybe the reason!!
Don't forget to look at environmental possibilities too. I feel that my problem is a dust allergy. Staying indoors during the cold NE winters makes it worse. Of course I take meds that are likely contributors also.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm

MsBea raises a very important point.

You can be suffering no only from side effects of a drug you are taking, but also from interactions among all the things you are taking.

I'm a physician myself, yet I have suffered toxicity due to interactions among drugs my own doctors prescribed. More than once. They didn't check and neither did I. The pharmacist's software didn't discover the interactions either, because some were OTC, and some were supplements from the health food store.

The unfortunate lesson is that you must be proactive in your own self-interest. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread on the subject.

MsBea

Post by MsBea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 pm

M.D.Hosehead wrote:MsBea raises a very important point.

You can be suffering no only from side effects of a drug you are taking, but also from interactions among all the things you are taking.

I'm a physician myself, yet I have suffered toxicity due to interactions among drugs my own doctors prescribed. More than once. They didn't check and neither did I. The pharmacist's software didn't discover the interactions either, because some were OTC, and some were supplements from the health food store.

The unfortunate lesson is that you must be proactive in your own self-interest. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread on the subject.
From my experience I have learned to be very proactive in my healthcare and I tell others the same. I don't understand why a Dr. wouldn't check drug interactions? Isn't that why they want to know what we are taking? My Dr. knew the Rx I was taking and yet didn't think anything of it when I kept saying I was ill.

pollyanna40

Post by pollyanna40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 am

Right!! LOL..im goin back to see um!! u r so right!! iv never ever felt anymore awake since treatment,somet is defo not right...but i get the funny feeling they r feed up with me!! basically cause they dont know wot to do next!! Grrrrr...annoying..and i do need to see for myself your both right,Thanks x x

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 am

Something to consider...
9 Types of Medications That Can Lead to Chronic Fatigue
These drugs could be the cause of that tired feeling
by: Dr. Armon B. Neel Jr. | from: AARP | June 12, 2012
http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supple ... 5&USEG_ID=

Jay

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:13 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:I've noticed that many people complain that they have their numbers in line, but still don't feel they're getting the rest they should. One possibility might be the medications taken.
Here's a major tip. Certain supplements. I was taking Magnesium powder (Nature's Calm) for about 2 weeks. I couldn't understand why I was feeling so abnormally tired. Then I decided to look at the reviews on Amazon. A number of them mentioned similar fatigue problems with taking this. It seems that this supplement should be taken earlier in the day, to prevent waking up with grog. I was shocked! My intuitions were right! Also, I've read how taking calcium pills can make you fatigued. So now I take the magnesium powder that includes calcium, and I take it at noon. Huge difference. Also, I was taking a certain brand liquid L-carnitine for a while, same thing. I started feeling fatigued. I looked at the reviews and also noted same problem with fatigue. (I want to do more research on that supplement, however, as I feel the benefits are huge with that. Another one: lithium orotate, for brain repair caused by apnea. Caused fatigue. Reviews said it takes about 2 weeks to get over fatigue and then fatigue will cease. Haven't made up my mind about that one yet. This is one heck of an important thread. I hope it never stops.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

mzlaura1884

Post by mzlaura1884 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm

pollyanna40 wrote:my data is very good,No apnea's,No leaks,Good deep Sleep!! i feel soooo bad during the day!! still tired as!! i have No other Meds at all,None!! still having tests to see why im still daytime tiredness!! just blood tests and E.N.T appointments!! but in most people yep Meds maybe the reason!!
You might want to try getting your thyroid checked. That could be a huge culprit. Also Vitamin D should be checked.

vze2363v

Post by vze2363v » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:48 am

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? I have CFS and mine was way under normal so now I have to take 50,000 units once a week.

Just a thought.

I take all the allergy/asthma meds on the list. I also have unmanaged pain issues. Guess I know what my problem is.

Additional Comments: DreamMapper & OSCAR

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had any sleep issues while on Zoloft. I've been on CPAP for a year - figures are great yet i'm still tired. I'm a long-time user of Zoloft and wondering if this may be causing my fatigue. I'm reluctant to stop using it as Zoloft has been an enormous help to me since i started using it. I did mention this to my sleep doc a while ago however he didn't seem to think that it was a problem.

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:44 pm

I have been on cpap for five years in October and recently I seem to not beiing able to get enough sleep. I sleep on average of nine hrs a night and then need a Mid day Nap also. I feel good considering my Medical condition ( type 2 Diabetic ) and I take tons of Meds for numerous conditions . I am thinking I might need a pressure Increase but debating whether to up my Pressure from 13 to 14 to see if I can get away from the daytime Naps bor whether I should wait until October when I am eligible for a new Machine. I am wanting to get the s9 auto set to see if the Machine increases my pressure during the night. Any Suggestions on whether I should increase my pressure by one or wait until I get the s9 auto set ? I am trying to avoid another costly sleep study.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 am

lullaby wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has had any sleep issues while on Zoloft. I've been on CPAP for a year - figures are great yet i'm still tired. I'm a long-time user of Zoloft and wondering if this may be causing my fatigue. I'm reluctant to stop using it as Zoloft has been an enormous help to me since i started using it. I did mention this to my sleep doc a while ago however he didn't seem to think that it was a problem.
Lullaby, it's possible. Disturbed sleep is a listed short term side effect of Zoloft. But, that doesn't mean it disturbs your sleep or is not without benefit.

Here's one reference from the web: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17038067
CONCLUSION:
SSRI use by older women, including those without evidence of depression, is associated with a greater likelihood of sleep disturbances, including poorer sleep efficiency, longer sleep latency, and sleep fragmentation, manifested by multiple long wake episodes. These results add to the uncertainty regarding risks and benefits of SSRI use in aged populations.
But here's another: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181155/
Effects on Sleep
In depressed patients, normal sleep patterns are altered, with an increased duration and earlier onset of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, reduced slow-wave sleep, and more awakenings.10 Additionally, the SSRIs interfere with sleep architecture, potentially complicating the sleep of depressed patients. Fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline delay the onset of REM sleep, and fluoxetine and paroxetine increase awakenings and reduce REM sleep, slow-wave sleep, total sleep time, and sleep efficiency. In contrast, sertraline minimally increases sleep efficiency and reduces nocturnal wakefulness time, which may benefit depressed patients whose sleep disturbance is troubling.
So, it would seem the overall risk/benefit must be individually determined.

Jay

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:59 am

DannyPh wrote:I have been on cpap for five years in October and recently I seem to not beiing able to get enough sleep. I sleep on average of nine hrs a night and then need a Mid day Nap also. I feel good considering my Medical condition ( type 2 Diabetic ) and I take tons of Meds for numerous conditions . I am thinking I might need a pressure Increase but debating whether to up my Pressure from 13 to 14 to see if I can get away from the daytime Naps bor whether I should wait until October when I am eligible for a new Machine. I am wanting to get the s9 auto set to see if the Machine increases my pressure during the night. Any Suggestions on whether I should increase my pressure by one or wait until I get the s9 auto set ? I am trying to avoid another costly sleep study.
Danny, it's also possible that lowereing your pressure might improve your sleep. Less pressure generally means fewer leaks and less disturbance. Without access to your data (AHI), it's hard to know the result of a pressure change.

Jay

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:41 am

More on the subject. See the full article here: http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supple ... gue.1.html
9 Types of Medications That Can Lead to Chronic Fatigue
These drugs could be the cause of that tired feeling
1. Blood-pressure medications
2. Statins and fibrates
3. Proton pump inhibitors
4. Benzodiazepines
5. Antihistamines
6. Antidepressants
7. Antipsychotics
8. Antibiotics
9. Diuretics

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:00 am

djr1215 wrote:For me it was a beta blocker, I got a lot better after I got that changed (not great, but much better!)
Hi djr215. Can I ask what brand of beta-blocker was bad for you and what you replaced it with?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.