Machine too Loud

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nonsleeper

Machine too Loud

Post by nonsleeper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi!
I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere but I cannot find one! I'm about 3 months into being diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. I've adjusted to pretty much everything except 2 things. Background, I ramp on 4 to an air pressure of 7. The problem I'm having is with the noise of the machine. I hear the c flex adjusting the air pressure. I've set the flex as high as the machine will allow and the variation in air pressure is soo loud it wakes me up. I also have just tried the humidifier and It makes a swishing noise, like waves in the ocean. swish loud, swish low, swish loud, swish low.......IS there a machine that does NOT make these noises??!! I have done the "put it on a mousepad/towel" suggestions also but it hasn't made a difference. Before diagnoses, in the winter, I used a room humidifier, but now that I have air being pushed down my throat, I need to make sure it's warm air. Has anyone had this problem with loud machines and if so, is there a fix?
I'll fight the DME if there is!
thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Pugsy

Re: Machine too Loud

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Have you tried turning CFlex off to see if that changes anything?

I use the PR S1 APAP. Pressures change on it all night long. My husband often pokes me to tell me to put my mask on and turn on the machine. Mine is that quiet. There is nothing wrong with his hearing.

Is it possible you are hearing the normal venting of air out the vent holes in the mask?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm

My S9 VPAP is very quiet. All you can hear is the air going in and out.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

Follow Pugsy's lead and you'll do good.
Pugsy wrote:Have you tried turning CFlex off to see if that changes anything?
The motor changes speeds to adjust your pressure with CFlex ON.

I keep my machine in a clear plastic box on the floor. That does many things...
- helps to keep the noise down
- heats the air the machine takes in
- drastically reduces the dust the machine has to filter.

For tonite try placing a towel over the machine, after you turn the Cflex OFF. Just be sure to allow it air flow.

Good Luck

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Mine seems noisy on some nights, but not on others. I haven't quite figured out why.

Experiment with it. Plug up the end of the hose and see if you hear any leaks. Take the filters out for just a few minutes and see if that makes any difference. Don't leave them out permanently. See if you can figure out where the noise is coming from. Try the humidifier full and almost empty.

Some people have put the machine in a box with air holes, put it behind the bed, in a drawer, etc. One user drilled a hole in the wall and put the machine in the next room. Others run a fan in the room to drown out the noise.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm

GumbtCT wrote:Certainly the machine should be lower than your head. I keep mine on the floor so it doesn't fall and spill water into the electronics. I keep it in a clear plastic Sterilite container with a cover. The cover doesn't seal because of the hose but that allows for the needed air to get in while muffling the M series roar. It also helps to keep the dust out too.
This is a link to more info with the pix -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38633&p=340999&hili ... te#p340999

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Turning Cflex down or off will help.
I'm not sure about the swish sound of the humidifier--I've never heard that.

It shouldn't be so loud. You can see if the DME will swap it out with another one in case it's something with that machine.

A lot of what we perceive as machine noise is actually what is known as conducted noise--conducted through the hose and the mask. A few things help:

Try to hang your hose so it's not lying on your mattress or your pillow--both conduct sound.
Use a hose cover to dampen the noise. You can make your own easily or buy one.
Padacheek's mask liners also dampen conducted sound from the mask.
Be sure your exhale vent is not blowing against bedding or you--that makes noise.

You can try masking the noise with white noise--a fan, sound machine,or MP3 player. Earplugs don't work very well, because the sound can be conducted through your head.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 pm

As Janknitz points out, the real problem might be conducted noise. For an explanation and some additional tips on possible solutions, read my Dealing with Conducted Noise

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 am

Place an old mousepad or a one inch solid foam pad under your machine to muffle the noise. I use a gardeners kneeling pad, cut it in half and now I have 2..........one in the house on my night stand and the other in my motorhome.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 am

I use a white noise machine

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 am

I think everyone reacts to noise differently. I have found that my girlfriend and I are both bothered by noises at night, but rarely does the same
noise bother either of us.

I agree with Robysue about the conducted noises. I have the same CPAP as the original poster and I was plagued by noise as well. I was
certain that the noise was caused by air whistling through the hose, but it turned out to be the white allergen filter in the base unit
that conducted noise all the way up to my mask.

I solved my noise issue by removing the white filter and I now just use the washable grey filter.

Of course, as stated above, this may not be the noise that bothers you.

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 am

I drilled a hole in my nightstand for the power and the hose in the back, it stays in the top shelf. The hose comes out the back and up the back of the bed and comes over the top having off the top of the bed. I take the mask out and put it on, turn on the unit and close the door (its not air tight by a longshot). I also use a fan for white noise.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Ignore the noise and you soon won't notice it. Make sure your problem isn't leaks, though; those can be irritating.
Also, try a fan or air filter. Increasing the background "white" noise will make the CPAP noise less noticeable.

If I were you, I'd turn off the ramp and flex. Many people (me) do better without them.

You might also call your CPAP provider, describe the noise, and hold the phone up to the machine while you breath into the mask, just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the machine.

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 pm

The PRS1 runs about 29db, the intellipap is 26db, and the S9 is 24db (according to their specifications). A 3db decrease in noise is definately noticeable.
The flex makes the noise worse, but even without it you can hear the PRS1 motor change with inhales and exhales.
The first PRS1 I had was noisy the replacement PRS1 I have now seems to be even more noisy. BTW the PRS1 has a hole under the knob where a spilled cup of coffee can flow directly onto the mainboard. But the intellipap that I bought as a backup (after the coffee incident) is much much quieter than either of the PRS1's that I have had. Since my wife can't hear either one, I am sure it's the conducted noise that I "hear" with the PRS1. A hose cosy does help.
If the noise really bothers you and you are going through a DME and insurance, a S9 might be a better machine for you.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:40 am

In the beginning I thought my S8 was really noisy but as time went by & I reached deeper sleep, I got used to it.