Resmed S9 sleep report good or bad?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scumofscotland

Resmed S9 sleep report good or bad?

Post by scumofscotland » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 pm

My report avg for the last 6 months has been:
AHI 2.2
Total AI 1.7
Central AI .4

I know the AHI is fine since less than 5 but in my searches for total AI I keep seeing that it should be under 1. Since I don't know the range that the total AI can have I don't know if 1.7 is bad or not. I am also assuming the central AI of .4 is not a concern. Sorry for the basic question but 1.5 hours of googling have not really given me the definitive answer I was looking for.

AmIawake

Re: Resmed S9 sleep report good or bad?

Post by AmIawake » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 am

More important than a fraction of a number is How do you feel?

When do I get the t-shirt?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 am

Hi there scumofscotland
You numbers look great...don't believe the bit that you have to be under 1, some folks here never get below 5, no matter how hard they try. If you would please go to the user control panel and fill in your profile....especially the equipment bit, we would be better able to help you out when questions arrise.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jabman

Post by jabman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 am

scumofscotland wrote:My report avg for the last 6 months has been:
AHI 2.2
Total AI 1.7
Central AI .4

I know the AHI is fine since less than 5 but in my searches for total AI I keep seeing that it should be under 1. Since I don't know the range that the total AI can have I don't know if 1.7 is bad or not. I am also assuming the central AI of .4 is not a concern. Sorry for the basic question but 1.5 hours of googling have not really given me the definitive answer I was looking for.

Your numbers look good typed out but without looking at the charts it's hard to tell. Also what type of machine do you have? we would be able to help more if you filled in your equipnemt on your profile.
AmIawake wrote:More important than a fraction of a number is How do you feel?
I was aalso wonder the same thing, are you still tired all the time? still get brain fog?

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

scumofscotland

Post by scumofscotland » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:38 am

My wife says I don't snore anymore and that my breathing is regular so I am definitely sleeping better than before. I am not as tired during the day as previously but am not as mentally sharp as I was just 3-4 years ago which is what drove me to get a sleep study in the first place. My sleep length has averaged 6.3 hours per night according to the S9 and I do often feel groggy when I awaken so I imagine my body could use more sleep. I have never been disciplined in going to bed at a regular time and am trying to do so now but even when I go to bed early I just wake up earlier and am unable to sleep solidly after that. So in summary I guess it is a mixed bag, some areas of improvement and some areas of frustration. It is also hard to know what is sleep driven vs. normal aging vs. long term damage due to untreated apnea (not sure if that is a valid concern or not) and that obviously can't be determined on a message board.

I honestly appreciate all the responses so far and hopefully my equipment will successfully show up when I post this

jabman

Post by jabman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

scumofscotland wrote:My wife says I don't snore anymore and that my breathing is regular so I am definitely sleeping better than before. I am not as tired during the day as previously but am not as mentally sharp as I was just 3-4 years ago which is what drove me to get a sleep study in the first place. My sleep length has averaged 6.3 hours per night according to the S9 and I do often feel groggy when I awaken so I imagine my body could use more sleep. I have never been disciplined in going to bed at a regular time and am trying to do so now but even when I go to bed early I just wake up earlier and am unable to sleep solidly after that. So in summary I guess it is a mixed bag, some areas of improvement and some areas of frustration. It is also hard to know what is sleep driven vs. normal aging vs. long term damage due to untreated apnea (not sure if that is a valid concern or not) and that obviously can't be determined on a message board.

I honestly appreciate all the responses so far and hopefully my equipment will successfully show up when I post this
You have been sleep deprived and it can take awhile to repay that sleep debt but it sounds like you are on the right track .
Read through the forum there is alot of helpful info here.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Your numbers are great.
AI is a combination of Apneas and Centrals per hour. To expect it to be less than 1 is unrealistic expectation. What you are showing is really quite good and some people never achieve it.

If you can ever average more hours of sleep per night you may notice an improvement in how you feel. I feel okay with 6 hours...better with 7 hours and much better with 8 hours and only then does the need to nap go away.
Also even if I get 8 hours but have a bunch of wake ups during the night for whatever reason...I notice that I don't feel so good. Last night it was the cat purring in my face....

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.