Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Would you like to see OT posts not related to xPAP banned from cpaptalk.com?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 283

Pugsy

Re: Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:51 pm

GumbyCT wrote: There are two "Search" and "Advanced Search". I always use Advanced.

Did you know that you could search your search results (again & again) to drill down further?
I normally use the regular Search first, then refine that search. I will try Advanced next time if I think of it.
I usually avoid the forum Search unless I have no choice. I can usually find what I want with Google search quicker and have found it often ends up pointing back to the cpaptalk forum post I was thinking of.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:To help clarify the post why not use

POT : Polically Off Topic
HOT : Humour Off Topic
ROT : Religious Off Topic
WOT : Well Off Topic
OOT : Other Off Topic
NOT : Not Sure Off Topic
Oh brother....

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Vader wrote:
gasp wrote:
WearyOne wrote:I’m a Christian with deeply held beliefs, and a conservative, which on here isn’t too popular.
You're popular with me : )))
Yeah, we sure aren't popular here. But at least we have each other!

Seems like most folks are indifferent to the few Christians here, but there are a few haters here who just can't resist the impulse to denigrate and insult those who have faith. I feel sorry for them and I do pray for them.

But STILL, this is the best forum around, and I'm glad that the hosts have kept it this way!

Thanks, gasp! Right back at ya.

Vadar, agree with you 100%. I left for a while because I was spending too much time on here, but came back because overall it's a great forum, and I do get a good laugh out of some of the OT threads (I think there's even a thread with jokes floating around here somewhere. Laughed a lot reading that one!)

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm

jabman wrote:
WearyOne wrote:I’m a Christian with deeply held beliefs, and a conservative, which on here isn’t too popular. So, I’ve learned over time to not contribute my opinion on political or religious threads.
I to am a Christian, I will post my beleafs or a statment or evan a bible virse in a thread at times but I never push it. As a Christian I beleave I am to spread the word and will try to do so but I also do not want to come off as being over bearing.
I do something similar as I often have a scripture verse or two in my signature on several forums I'm a member of (and of course there's my cross avatar up there). I also don't want an in-your-face kinda thing.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 pm

COT: Converse of Off Topic

Sorry, but you expect us to remember all these?

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 am

I have monitored several forums for many years and occasionally post here
Those interested in the effects of over monitoring of postings would be well advised to look at one of the original and most popular at the time of sleepnet.com http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea/apneainf.html
This is operated by Sandman with draconian posting rules.
He would delete posts very often for reasons understood only by himself.
At one time he turned over this responsibility to his mother aka sandmama.
She seemed to enjoy her power and continued until the postings soon almost disappeared .
At one time an entire forum would only take a week or so to fill up.
The present forum has been well over a year and there have been NO postings in the past 27 days.
There was no way for to contact any of the posters sue to privacy.
I have had many postings removed and still in awe for his reasoning in removing my postings.
Is this what we want here?
I think not and appreciate the owners of this forum for treating us like adults.
We can ignore any topic or anyone we do not care to follow.
I could be wrong.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 am

@ tomjax, I never heard of that forum and so I went to the link and you're right, no one has posted in the last month. That's pretty sad. The layout is also quite a mess. Makes me appreciate this forum all the more.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:34 am

ameriken wrote:@ tomjax, I never heard of that forum and so I went to the link and you're right, no one has posted in the last month. That's pretty sad. The layout is also quite a mess. Makes me appreciate this forum all the more.
And that is what some are looking for - nice n neat so you can't find anything. How do you search that forum?

And if you want to try something, tell them you don't like the layout and you want them to change to fit you....lmao.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:48 pm

ameriken wrote:@ tomjax, I never heard of that forum and so I went to the link and you're right, no one has posted in the last month. That's pretty sad. The layout is also quite a mess. Makes me appreciate this forum all the more.
I just went over to sleepnet.com. And it is sad. Not only has no-one posted in the last month, but there are dozens of unanswered or badly answered questions from folks desperate for advice.

For example, there's one post from a spouse about how her husband has endured 9 months of insomnia, has had a sleep test that showed an AHI in the 20s (but all hypopneas) and has now tried in vain to sleep with the machine for 3 nights, and then abandoned it for the fourth night and still could not sleep. The wife ends her post with
I'm sure it's hard enough for anyone to adjust to CPAP but when you have insomnia on top of that, it becomes even harder.

Anyone dealt with both?
The post is dated May 25, 2011. And there have been NO follow ups. As in not even ONE single follow-up saying "it's not an uncommon problem" or "don't give up hope.". Boggles the mind, doesn't it? And what are the chances her hubby is still on PAP?

And there's plenty of fearmongering about how dangerous xPAP machines are as well. Truly sad folks. Truly sad.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 am

robysue wrote:But quite frankly, it's a lot more fun over here.
Yup.

happysleeper wrote:I think as long as we are polite and label OT posts as such, I'm good to go. I can choose to read them or not.
But you'll miss the thrill of discovery, happysleeper: reading a topic, thinking it's "on-topic", when it is, in fact, utterly, gloriously, "off-topic".

And what if you discover that this OT post or thread is brilliantly written, and it solicits your rapt attention from beginning to end?

BTW, imho, there are no "off-topic" posts.

Imho, everything is connected. .But that's for another one of my nutty Signal Intelligence (SI) posts.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WearyOne wrote:I’m a Christian with deeply held beliefs, and a conservative, which on here isn’t too popular.
Wearyone, you can't be serious!.Shirley, you're pulling our leg?

BTW, Senator, just one more thing: love your avatar!

WearyOne wrote:Give me good, factual information on the opposing side of what I think/believe and I’ll listen and on some things may change my mind (and have).
Just two hours alone with you in a locked windowless room, that's all I ask.
WearyOne wrote:On other things I’ll never change my mind or my beliefs.
The night is young, dear WearyOne. .Give me the two hours, and I believe you'll stand a very good chance of coming to Jesus.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WearyOne wrote:As for OT threads? I say never get rid of them. They add spice and a look into our personalities, and sometimes are a big laugh and a lot of fun—and who couldn’t use more laughter?
I think I'm in love with you, WearyOne. .But where have been during my threads?

WearyOne wrote:I was surprised, though, at the number of votes FOR banning OT threads.
Surprised and a just a tad disappointed, I trust.

WearyOne, I notice your location is Central Virginia. .Virginia seems like a popular destination on this board. .Is the condor an endangered species there?

Vader wrote:Yeah, we sure aren't popular here. But at least we have each other!
Hi Vader! .Good to see your nic. Love the avatar, has some real signal strength to it. .I have a theory — yes, it's a bit nutty, but aren't all my "theories" a bit whack? - that this BB, by all appearances, appears to be a Red State (RS) board, when, it is, quite possibly, another Nefarious Jewish Conspiracy (NJC) to make the great unwashed just believe it's a BS board.

Vader, please be honest with me. .Do you think I'm way off on this this? .Too soon? .Too soon?

I really like it, Uncle Bob: funny, to the point, and very comprehensive.

But being from NYC, home of the Broadway Theater Industry (BTI), I feel obligated to suggest — in addition to your comprehensive list, which I'll immediately adopt — just three more categories:

OT. : Off Topic
OOT : Off, Off Topic
OSS : One! Singular Sensation . . .

roc

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

ems

Post by ems » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 am

rocklin wrote:
Wearyone, you can't be serious!.Shirley, you're pulling our leg?
Who is Shirley?
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:01 am

rocklin wrote: Wearyone, you can't be serious!.Surely, you're pulling our leg?
ems wrote:Who is Shirley?
Ah, EMS, why do those lovely initials send a chill up and down my spine?

And yet another member from Virginia! .Is this some kind of inside joke?. Please, someone fill me in.

As for WearyOne, may I suggest you respond to my question thusly:

"Of course I'm serious.. And stop calling me Shirley!"

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Those who don't read posts are bound to repeat them.

Doing the same thing or bringing the same thing up over and over expecting a different outcome, is a sign of insanity. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ems

Post by ems » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Goofproof wrote:Those who don't read posts are bound go repeat them.

Doing the same thing or bringing the same thing up over and over expecting a different outcome, is a sign of insanity. Jim

Are you drinking already? Why in the world would you bring up this two year old thread??? Doesn't make a bit of sense anyway!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 pm

I enjoyed reading Rocklin. Funny guy. I wonder how he's doing?