Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Would you like to see OT posts not related to xPAP banned from cpaptalk.com?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 283

Goofproof

Re: Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:24 pm

A forum without traffic is a non functional forum. People make up the forum, the good, the bad, and the ugly, don't blame the forum, blame your mouse if he keeps choosing topics you don't want to see, maybe he needs to be retrained. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

gregzeng

Post by gregzeng » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 am

Good management can handle Off Topic people & posts.
All good SIGs (Special Interest Groups) have "moderators" who try to manage OT "rubbish.
Extreme rubbish is instantly banished with the Chief Mods note": [Removed; code xyz breach; SuperMod *]
* refers to conditions of posting, and the appeals mechanism.

Many times I have been SuperMod, including had ten (10) years life experience in Toastmasters International (Australia, Sydney). But retired when it became too physically impossible for me. In that real life (not internet) stuff, the OT trouble makers needed self-development beyond the agreed conditions of
the organization. Good management tries to provide this advanced, unexpected self-management.

The OT stuff should have a separate forum area. Locally here in Sydney - Australia, I remember an old "bulletin board", still going: OCAU.COM
It has a "pub" section (almost unsupervised OT section), then developed many separate new sections over the years, as its members matured, developed and aged.

My last major employed job was Chief Information Officer of many non-profit organizations in Sydney, Australia. In the computer industries and elsewhere, when these loud, obnoxious OT people become better organized, they "fork" into new cooperative organizations. CPAPTALK could try this model as well. So many current TV shows are in debt to the parenting created by the Oprah Winfrey TV show (Dr Phil, etc).

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:11 am

You're really something! You just became a member, tried to get us using your (some strange) ideas for hose warming, etc., and now want to tell us how to run the forum! We've managed very well so far, have had discussions on OT topics for years and are quite happy with things as they are. We generally like the OT posts as long as they're labelled OT, and have no need to police them or ostracize them to other places. And your assumptions about people who do post OT are outrageous and insulting. You may be a big cheese in Oz, but this is not the way to endear yourself to us.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 am

gregzeng wrote:Good management can handle Off Topic people & posts.
All good SIGs (Special Interest Groups) have "moderators" who try to manage OT "rubbish.
Extreme rubbish is instantly banished with the Chief Mods note": [Removed; code xyz breach; SuperMod *]
* refers to conditions of posting, and the appeals mechanism.

Many times I have been SuperMod, including had ten (10) years life experience in Toastmasters International (Australia, Sydney). But retired when it became too physically impossible for me. In that real life (not internet) stuff, the OT trouble makers needed self-development beyond the agreed conditions of
the organization. Good management tries to provide this advanced, unexpected self-management.

The OT stuff should have a separate forum area. Locally here in Sydney - Australia, I remember an old "bulletin board", still going: OCAU.COM
It has a "pub" section (almost unsupervised OT section), then developed many separate new sections over the years, as its members matured, developed and aged.

My last major employed job was Chief Information Officer of many non-profit organizations in Sydney, Australia. In the computer industries and elsewhere, when these loud, obnoxious OT people become better organized, they "fork" into new cooperative organizations. CPAPTALK could try this model as well. So many current TV shows are in debt to the parenting created by the Oprah Winfrey TV show (Dr Phil, etc).

When your done patting yourself on the back, maybe you can contribute something we don't know regarding CPAP therapy. .

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:30 am

Newbies...

Sheriff

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:33 am

gregzeng wrote:Good management can handle Off Topic people & posts.
All good SIGs (Special Interest Groups) have "moderators" who try to manage OT "rubbish. ...
I think this is the very definition of "The Fallacy of Begging the Question."

Frankly, yesterday I was thinking that there have been rather few OT posts, given world events and the election season. I view this group as a bit more than just an information provider - its a community, and as such I would welcome more "off topic" posts.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:42 pm

gregzeng wrote:But retired when it became too physically impossible for me.
Too old to dodge all the rotten tomatoes thrown at you?
T.C.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:02 pm

The Choker wrote:
gregzeng wrote:But retired when it became too physically impossible for me.
Too old to dodge all the rotten tomatoes thrown at you?
It would be tough walking home every night covered in ketchup. His last post could have helped me a lot last night. If I had read it then I'd have fallen asleep much sooner.

Pretty good at typing, especially with the bandages on his hands, from patting himself on the back! Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:03 pm

New contributor, gregzeng and tryptophan from turkey can both be effective snore inducers for us sleep challenged folks. Here's an OT goodie.

https://youtu.be/m57gzA2JCcM

JoeWingrove

Post by JoeWingrove » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Boyce wrote:
JoeWingrove wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned or not since it this is a long thread but would it be possible to get a couple of different sections where off topic posts can be done separate from the help and advice ones?
No.

No? Can you elaborate and explain why?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Because. It's come up many times, and the majority want to stay this way. Most of the OT topics seem to be short lived, often just someone sharing some small thing their family did, or something experienced outside of OSA/Cpap that struck them as meaningful, or how they finally fixed some doodad they'd had trouble with... rarely anything nefarious or upsetting at all except possibly when someone loses a loved one and gives us a chance to commiserate. Why can we not share things right here that matter to us? It's not as if OTs take over from Cpap talk, or descend (as some Cpap related issues have) into nastiness of any kind. We're friends, on however many levels that might mean, or for how long, and breaking the Cpap tension with something else once in a while is OK, not something to be shuffled off to some dark corner!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Because you don't pay the bills, you don't host this forum. Our host chosen to run THEIR forum this way. When you start your forum, you get to set how it's run. That's the way real life works. Jim

JoeWingrove

Post by JoeWingrove » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Goofproof wrote:Because you don't pay the bills, you don't host this forum. Our host chosen to run THEIR forum this way. When you start your forum, you get to set how it's run. That's the way real life works. Jim

Not sure what your issue is here, I made a post and got a reply that just said "no" and provided no reasoning. All I did was ask for the reasoning behind the answer and around 40% are not happy with the off topic posts on the forum. Personally I don't care but I just find it strange that this forum does not sub forums in order to help organize information so it can be more easily found. I know at times when I read them there is a lot of new stuff and hard to keep up with everything that has been posted.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Because that is the way they set it up.
It is their net; if you don't like it take your ball and dribble it home.
The results of any poll relate only to the number who voted,
NOT everyone who has an opinion. Happy chickens don't squawk. Or vote.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minnie Maunder

Post by Minnie Maunder » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm

JoeWingrove wrote:hard to keep up with everything that has been posted
Do you feel obligated to keep up with everything?

I never have and my AHI was under 1.0 last seven days. Diagnosed at 50+ AHI.