Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Would you like to see OT posts not related to xPAP banned from cpaptalk.com?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 283

ems

Re: Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk.com?

Post by ems » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:05 pm

poppi2 wrote:I enjoyed reading Rocklin. Funny guy. I wonder how he's doing?
I've wondered also?

Happy New Year
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Wulfman...

Re: Poll: Should OT posts be banned from cpaptalk . com?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:16 pm

ems wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Those who don't read posts are bound go repeat them.

Doing the same thing or bringing the same thing up over and over expecting a different outcome, is a sign of insanity. Jim

Are you drinking already? Why in the world would you bring up this two year old thread??? Doesn't make a bit of sense anyway!
I'm quite sure that Jim didn't resurrect the thread. I saw it earlier and the last post was still an old one, so I presume that somebody searched on the subject and voted. That would bring it up to the first page.

Den

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 pm

ems wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Those who don't read posts are bound go repeat them.

Doing the same thing or bringing the same thing up over and over expecting a different outcome, is a sign of insanity. Jim

Are you drinking already? Why in the world would you bring up this two year old thread??? Doesn't make a bit of sense anyway!
Spam-a-gator reposted it, no not then, a glass of blackberry wine on ice now. 1966 was the one and only time I ever got drunk. Lucky now I don't have access to 190 medical alcohol 10 gal + 10 gal OJ + 50 lb ice = 1 party. 100 chickens, 100 steaks + fixings and 15 cases beer. The party was for our 1 med bn field hospital, about 300 people RVN. I and Sgt Porter miss the last half, I crawled the last two blocks to the bed, for some reason my legs quit working, no hangover next AM. Porter never made it back next day we found him in a ditch. Good People, good times! And bad! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:58 pm

The irony of starting a post with this title is just way too funny!!! Lol

TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

gomer

Post by gomer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Where does one draw the proverbial line in the sand?

One problem is you ban one thing, for a semi-valid reason, next thing ya know other things end up being banned as well. A slippery slope starts small...like a snow-ball.

I have not had any weapon or threat should I decide I do not want to read a topic or post.

Gomer[/b]..like it is, like it or not.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 pm

More is revealed by what we allow, rather than what we ban.
Starvation, violence, hate, cruelty; these are far too often ignored, allowed by our failure to fight them.
Let us resolve to see that there is less of them in each ensuing year,
until some golden day when they are no more.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:49 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:More is revealed by what we allow, rather than what we ban.
Starvation, violence, hate, cruelty; these are far too often ignored, allowed by our failure to fight them.
To stop these things, would require the elimation of mankind, or (manunkind). I too would like to see people getting alone, but I fear it's not in the cards, instead its growing worse, others rights and life are vauled less every day. I won't mention the Frogleg shortage.. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ems

Post by ems » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:52 am

+1 Right on and lovely!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

ems

Post by ems » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:55 am

Wulfman... wrote:I'm quite sure that Jim didn't resurrect the thread. I saw it earlier and the last post was still an old one, so I presume that somebody searched on the subject and voted. That would bring it up to the first page.
Then I apologize to Goof.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 am

ems wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:I'm quite sure that Jim didn't resurrect the thread. I saw it earlier and the last post was still an old one, so I presume that somebody searched on the subject and voted. That would bring it up to the first page.
Then I apologize to Goof.
No doubt I'm guilty of many things, but we seem to have a lot of spam and nubies voting on old threads, not saying I might not accidently boot a old thread up, but I usually don't laps out often. Happy Holidays All!

rkuntz

Post by rkuntz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:51 am

Goofproof wrote:
To stop these things, would require the elimation of mankind, or (manunkind). I too would like to see people getting alone, but I fear it's not in the cards, instead its growing worse, others rights and life are vauled less every day. I won't mention the Frogleg shortage.. Jim
Both of you stop it. Starvation, violence, hate, cruelty; these things are not being ignored, we are fighting them, it is not getting worse overall, the state of humanity is in the best condition it has ever been. You're both looking at the same glass and seeing it as half empty when the reality of it is that it's fuller than it's ever been. These are the good old days.

Political right or political left if you disagree please reference a time and place in Human History when it was better for ALL of mankind for us so that we might study it as a model for our future behavior.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 pm

rkuntz wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
Both of you stop it. Starvation, violence, hate, cruelty; these things are not being ignored, we are fighting them, it is not getting worse overall, the state of humanity is in the best condition it has ever been. You're both looking at the same glass and seeing it as half empty when the reality of it is that it's fuller than it's ever been. These are the good old days.

Political right or political left if you disagree please reference a time and place in Human History when it was better for ALL of mankind for us so that we might study it as a model for our future behavior.
"Garden of Eden", before the Snake infestation.

I'd like to think its getting better, but I don't believe it is. The world is getting smaller due to the electronics age. Man has prefected, mans abuse to his fellow man to a science, unlike in the past we are electronicly plugged in. We are now taught, we aren't responsible for what we do, while news and magazines sensationalize it to gain a audience.

A high percentage all the population watch with their heads in the sand. We as children never would have thought about going into a school to kill teachers or our classmates something has changed about how we value others. Somewhere a long the line we as humans have been taught the wrong path. I think that failure comes from the homes, families don't have time to teach their kids right from wrong, to busy working to buy more stuff that they dont need, and its become politically incorrect to raise your children to respect others.

I won't dwell on this, but I was raised with the "Spare the Rod, spoil the child Rule", "Children should be seen and not heard", Not politically correct, but I didn't go shoot up my schools, I wasn't depressed, I was happy being by myself, I was my best friend. I knew I wasn't the best at doing everything, nobody lowered the bar, to make me feel successful.

I know that when I do things that are wrong, I will have to pay a price for my actions. I was taught this by my parents, I wish they were around again so I could thank them, not for what they provided, but for guiding me along the correct path. I'm sure it was hard on them as well as it was for me.

Nothing done right is easy. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodworkerjunkie

Post by woodworkerjunkie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Goofproof wrote:
rkuntz wrote:
Goofproof wrote:

I'd like to think its getting better, but I don't believe it is. The world is getting smaller due to the electronics age. Man has prefected, mans abuse to his fellow man to a science, unlike in the past we are electronicly plugged in. We are now taught, we aren't responsible for what we do, while news and magazines sensationalize it to gain a audience.

A high percentage all the population watch with their heads in the sand. We as children never would have thought about going into a school to kill teachers or our classmates something has changed about how we value others. Somewhere a long the line we as humans have been taught the wrong path. I think that failure comes from the homes, families don't have time to teach their kids right from wrong, to busy working to buy more stuff that they dont need, and its become politically incorrect to raise your children to respect others.

I won't dwell on this, but I was raised with the "Spare the Rod, spoil the child Rule", "Children should be seen and not heard", Not politically correct, but I didn't go shoot up my schools, I wasn't depressed, I was happy being by myself, I was my best friend. I knew I wasn't the best at doing everything, nobody lowered the bar, to make me feel successful.

I know that when I do things that are wrong, I will have to pay a price for my actions. I was taught this by my parents, I wish they were around again so I could thank them, not for what they provided, but for guiding me along the correct path. I'm sure it was hard on them as well as it was for me.

Nothing donw right is easy. Jim
I read this post earlier today and that was my same exact thought! I also agree with the rest of your post. When I was in school, I never even thought about raising my voice to a teacher, unless they asked me to speak up ( I was a little on the shy side ). When you start taking the bible and God out of everything, you really can't expect it to do anything but get worse! Now, people that speak about the bible or God, get called names, cursed at, and made out to be a second rate citizen! We feed the youth with violent games and extremely violent and graphic movies and think that it's not going to affect their minds! This country has topped the hill and headed down that slippery slope where moral values have been destroyed and respect for other people are trashed! When was the last time you heard a parent, tell their kids to have respect for their elders? This country has turned it's back on God, and we will receive what we deserve as a country!
James4 -What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
So instead of believing in God and asking God for the things in their lives they need, they have turned to the government to give them what they want!

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:02 am

It's freezing here and there's not a lot more to do inside now so I'll sound off for a minute -

What on earth makes you think people who don't subscribe to organized Christian religion (or any other religion) have no moral values? Ridiculous! If anything, we might even have more, not having been filled up with bible stuff from 2,000 yrs ago that is sometimes even harmful seen by today's more informed views? Certainly it's never been wrong (and hopefully never will be) to treat others with respect, to be supportive of others, to not steal, kill, covet, etc. etc., but giving nonbelievers a hard time because they choose to not honor stories about gardens, snakes, arcs, fire and brimstone, rods, pillars of salt, etc. etc., allegories though they may be, is not right either.

In general, nonbelievers who grow up anywhere near at least western society and not in isolation have generally thought hard about religion (separate it for the moment from 'just' spirituality), and quite likely read a lot and argued a lot about it, making them more able to debate merits of 'religion' vs e.g. science (that demands proof of everything before vetting it), and such people will also have well thought out reasons for e.g. not hitting children, not stealing, not killing (have we not evolved at all and found better solutions?), etc.

We have morals and values and all those other good things you believe you have special rights to, but we choose to follow them not because they were handed down from heaven (or hell) by gods, but because they make good sense, are simply 'right', give appropriate results when carried out properly and because people are generally good to begin with... they just get corrupted as they grow up by others who are greedy, power hungry, blood thirsty, etc., many (if not most) of whom consider themselves to be Christian (or pick another name).

God is a man-made concept! Children were taught the fairy stories long ago to 'reach' them where they live (in fantasy filled childhood), but why do adults persist in carrying on with the stories as adults - you no longer believe in Santa, why go on believing in the other stories? Makes no sense to me!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:11 am

woodworkerjunkie wrote:... So instead of believing in God and asking God for the things in their lives they need, they have turned to the government to give them what they want! ...
Such thinking is why many people turn away from organized religion.

What thinking is that? Tammy Faye and Jimmy Baker espoused it. Prosperity Christianity. Believe and God will give your all you need. The Vending Machine God. Stick in a prayer and out pops all your needs. It tends to yield Christians that are lazy in putting their faith into action.

The problem with thinking that God is the ultimate vending machine is that reality differs dramatically from wishful thinking. Horrible things happen all the time to very good people. Is that God's doing? Really?? Is your God that small and mean spirited?

We should NEVER equate lack of faith in God with lack of decency. Many, many people without a belief in God try to make the world a far better world. And WAY too many people with faith are content to do NOTHING. We all know it's true. Some people (with or without faith) reach out and help their fellow men. And far too many people (with or without faith) could not be bothered, even if it is their family. As Douglass Adams put it, some people are just Vogons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbN1NaQ7yQI

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński