30-day mask exchange policy for new users only?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
napstress

30-day mask exchange policy for new users only?

Post by napstress » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:55 pm

I understand that we are allowed to exchange a mask within 30 days. Is that true every time you try a new mask, or just when you're first getting set up? I've been on CPAP therapy for 5 months and I am eligible for a new mask soon. If it doesn't work out, would I be able to exchange it for another? How many masks can one try in that 30-day period?
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

GumbyCT

Re: 30-day mask exchange policy for new users only?

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 pm

napstress wrote:I understand that we are allowed to exchange a mask within 30 days. Is that true every time you try a new mask, or just when you're first getting set up? I've been on CPAP therapy for 5 months and I am eligible for a new mask soon. If it doesn't work out, would I be able to exchange it for another? How many masks can one try in that 30-day period?
I think it is any time you try a new mask but since each DME seems to change this policy I think you should check with them 1st. I also think the clock should start over with each mask but then again it is not up to me.

Do let us know what they have to say. fwiw - if they won't do it I would check with others who accept your insurance.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Ask your DME first. Play innocent and say you need to try another mask, but are worried if you can change it out within the first 30 days. Don't act too eager.

The answer should be "yes," because it's the mask manufacturer who pays for the refund, not the DME. If the DME says "no," point out that you'll go to a new DME and you'll be a new user with the new DME.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:26 am

My DME didn't do exchanges. Don't assume that yours does or, if it does, that it will continue to do so if you make them spend too much time on endless changes. I haven't heard of anyone mandating that they do the exchanges though of course it's possible somebody (medicare? some insurer? ) does.

Mike6977

Post by Mike6977 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 am

My DME, Restoration Medical in NYC, doesn't even ask for the mask back.

They said that ResMed will allow them a new 30 day on each mask as long as the patient doesn't "abuse" it.

I asked Melissa exactly what constituted "abuse" and she said more than 8 or 9 new masks.

I can't imagine that this deal is exclusive to Restoration.

jefff

Post by jefff » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 am

I use Apria, and when I got mine, I was a new user with a new machine. I went back and got a different mask, and they even let me keep the old one and didn't charge me. They said this was a one time deal, though.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 am

The PA in my sleep doctor's office told me that about the 30 day refund. The DME never told me about it. A few weeks after I got my first mask (nov 2010) I called the DME and told her I thought I needed a fitting because it did not feel right. (this was before I found this forum) OVER THE PHONE she told me that it fit and that I should not change the straps. It's a case of if I knew then what I know now. When I called the PA for an appt she re-fitted me and also gave me a new mask (I guess they have many available in the sleep lab) and told me that I was eligible to exchange within 30 days. She said "if the DME does not tell you that, you tell her that I told you that is the case". Well sure enough when I got my 2nd mask from the DME she never told me about it despite several leading questions on my part. Finally I came right out and asked her directly about the 30 day policy and she acknowledged it was true. But NO WAY I ever would have been informed about that if it was up to her.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 am

When I got my first CPAP the Apria office in Chicago, where I was living at the time, just gave me a nasal mask and didn't tell me that there were other options, or say anything about the chance of getting a free replacement if I didn't like the mask. Fortunately, I didn't have too much problem sleeping with it, so I never thought of trying anything else. Then when my machine died last February the local Apria rep who brought my replacement machine also brought both a nasal mask and nasal pillows, and suggested that I try the latter. He told me that if I didn't like it I had 30 days to request a new one. It took me about a week to decide that the nasal pillows worked much better than the mask.

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 am

bayourest wrote:Finally I came right out and asked her directly about the 30 day policy and she acknowledged it was true. But NO WAY I ever would have been informed about that if it was up to her.
Doesn't that just make your blood boil? Lazy POS.

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:15 am

The 30 day return policy is from the manufacturers, not Medicare. It makes good business sense to have users who are happy with their masks and give the manufacturer a literal lifetime of repeat business. The glitch is that the DME must do some paperwork to get credited for the mask and some don't want to bother.

The manufacturers also provide FREE sample masks to DMEs so you can try them on and trial them, but some DMEs would rather sell their samples (where do you think auction sellers are getting their hundreds of masks?) then let them be used for their intended purpose of helping YOU find the right mask.

Sometimes you need to push the DME to do what they should or vote with your feet. You can ask the doctor to make a "make my patient happy if you want to continue to get referrals from me" call or even complain to the manufacturer if your DME won't help you, within reason to find a good mask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:31 am

We've used the same replacement mask over 2 years but when the Quattro FX came out I was curious to try it, so when it was time for a new replacement we were sent the FX with the stipulation that we could exchange it for our usual UMFF within 30 days if the FX didn't work. It didn't work after a week so we were sent our usual UMFF and told to keep the FX. (I was dealing with the DME Manager so don't know if that made a difference). I have since sent the FX to a member here who was having insurance difficulties.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:51 am

I just talked with my DME and was told that anytime I purchase a different mask that I have not been using currently, then I will have 30 days to exchange as many times as needed til I find one that works for me.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:30 pm

MidnightOwl wrote:My DME didn't do exchanges. Don't assume that yours does or, if it does, that it will continue to do so if you make them spend too much time on endless changes. I haven't heard of anyone mandating that they do the exchanges though of course it's possible somebody (medicare? some insurer? ) does.
It's possible the manufacturers mandate that the DMEs do this. After all, if they want to be an authorized dealer, the manufacturers often do require a lot of things.

I don't know which, if any, manufacturers DO require this of their dealers.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Resmed does for sure. That is the only Company that I have dealt with so far.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm

With my DME it's a 30-day exchange policy for any new mask - doesn't matter how long you've been using XPAP. In fact my DME posts this on their store wall, as well as some other supply information.

Cheers,
xena