DME says RESMED machines are crap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mck

DME says RESMED machines are crap

Post by mck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm

I have been and cpap for almost 3 months and I am already on my second humidifier and today I called my DME with a problem with the software which he did not have an answer for. He then told me to bring in the machine to see what he could do - he also said he will call technical support while I'm there- after I told him that I have called Resmed but they will not talk to me. (told me they don't talk with patients).

After some more talk he proceeded to tell me that he thought that RESMED MACHINES are CRAP and he thinks RESPIRONICS machines are better quality although not as attractive looking as RESMED.

I would like your opinions since right now I'm renting the machine and if is true that RESMED machines are not as reliable I will want to change to RESPIRONICS.

Thank you

Alshain

Re: DME says RESMED machines are crap

Post by Alshain » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Alshain says your DME is crap.

There is nothing wrong with the ResMed machines, some prefer one over the other, but that doesn't make any of them that bad. I'd go back to the DME and have them instruct you on the procedure for attaching a ClimateLine to the better quality Respironics machines.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm

So what, specifically, happened to your humidifier?

Look at their sales rates on CPAP.com. It's a Ford/Chevy/Toyota preference. And you should beware of anything a DME provider tells you. And don't trust anything you read on an internet forum, too, for that matter.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Actually, I think all the machines and manufacturers are crap. Unnecessarily expensive, features that rip the customer off, selling non-data machines, hostile customer service. Every manufacturer has something that's junk, some way they screw the patients, etc. Whoever is in charge at these companies really deserves to be horsewhipped.

I'm guessing that particular DME had bad luck with a few ResMed machines, or the manufacturer gave him bad service at one time or another. I bet you'll find another DME who's just as mad at Philips.

Maybe he just makes a higher profit on PR machines.

It would be interesting to conduct a poll among actual DMEs. "Which manufacter is crapier, PR or Resmed?"

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:10 pm

mck wrote:After some more talk he proceeded to tell me that he thought that RESMED MACHINES are CRAP and he thinks RESPIRONICS machines are better quality....
Your DME fellow's opinion is laughable, imho. If I were going to bet on best overall quality over the years, I'd bet on ResMed.

And, my goodness...how soon they forget! If he was even working with "CPAP" back when not just the original design, but also the first "re-design" of Respironics M series humidifiers were ruining peoples' nightstands....and worse, their machines:

Just a small sample of the many discussions of the Respironics M series humidifier leak problems, in 2006/2007:

More about Respironics M series
viewtopic.php?p=129299#p129299

M series humidifier tank leaks
viewtopic.php?p=125902#p125902

Leaking M Series Humidifier
(DME told me that the Respironics machines leak)
viewtopic.php?p=122715#p122715

cure for M series leaks
viewtopic.php?p=129815#p129815

**&&##@@!! Leaking Reservoir!
viewtopic.php?p=114242#p114242

water in RemStar M series CPAP
viewtopic.php?p=159967#p159967

Questions about puddles and...
viewtopic.php?p=179271#p179271
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I think this is a personal preference. I have resmed S9 autoset and I have never had problems with mine. Its nearly a year old. I use climateline hose and I am still using the climateline hose that came with my initial set up. I have never had a problem with humidifier leaks or leaking water of any kind. I do travel with my machine frequently.

My DME exclusively uses Resmed equipment and the S9 autoset is the standard issue machine. They tell me because of the amount of data they can obtain and the ability for flexibility should the patients needs change.

I say use what works best for you.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 pm

So far I am happy with my Resmed S9.
I guess we can always get a lemon and it influences our opinion forever. This is especially so when the customer service regarding problems is not up to scratch. Telling the customer that everything is fine and to go away is never good enough.We all know this happens with Resmed.Most of the sleep Instructors have never used a machine and simply dont know.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:23 pm

My DME, who personnaly hates me, says Respironics machines are crap.
Like othe posters, be careful of what you believe from a DME. Some are really good, some are medium, and some are really bad.

I like my Respironics machine, others like their ResMed machines, etc. It's a personal preference.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:44 pm

rested gal wrote:And, my goodness...how soon they forget!
Of course. It doesn't take much for people to condemn something these days. A few problems here or there and it's game over. Reminds me of the Toyota mess a few years ago.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

mck

Post by mck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:So what, specifically, happened to your humidifier?

Look at their sales rates on CPAP.com. It's a Ford/Chevy/Toyota preference. And you should beware of anything a DME provider tells you. And don't trust anything you read on an internet forum, too, for that matter.

When I turned the machine on the display screen just said ERROR PROBLEM WITH CLIMATE TUBING and to please contact provider.
I contacted DME and he told me to bring it in and that I need it a new humidifier - said this problem had happened often with the S9 H5i humidifier.

mck

Post by mck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 pm

rested gal wrote:
mck wrote:After some more talk he proceeded to tell me that he thought that RESMED MACHINES are CRAP and he thinks RESPIRONICS machines are better quality....
Your DME fellow's opinion is laughable, imho. If I were going to bet on best overall quality over the years, I'd bet on ResMed.

And, my goodness...how soon they forget! If he was even working with "CPAP" back when not just the original design, but also the first "re-design" of Respironics M series humidifiers were ruining peoples' nightstands....and worse, their machines:

Just a small sample of the many discussions of the Respironics M series humidifier leak problems, in 2006/2007:

More about Respironics M series
viewtopic.php?p=129299#p129299

M series humidifier tank leaks
viewtopic.php?p=125902#p125902

Leaking M Series Humidifier
(DME told me that the Respironics machines leak)
viewtopic.php?p=122715#p122715

cure for M series leaks
viewtopic.php?p=129815#p129815

**&&##@@!! Leaking Reservoir!
viewtopic.php?p=114242#p114242

water in RemStar M series CPAP
viewtopic.php?p=159967#p159967

Questions about puddles and...
viewtopic.php?p=179271#p179271

Thank you RESTED GAL

I want you to know that I value your opinion- I am a newbie (almost 3 months) but I can tell by reading this forum almost every day that you are one of the BIG CHEESE around here.

You are very knowledgable and offer excellent advise.

Also thank you for all the links.

mck

Post by mck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm

I also want to thank everyone else that have responded.

After reading all your answers I think that I am going to stick with the RESMED S9.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Good decision...I don't know much about the different machines (I have a Respironics and am quite happy with it) but that S9 you have seems to be a damned popular machine and apparantly the people using it love it and it gets the job done.

Tell the DME to stick a hose up his rear with a machine running at full pressure.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Both ResMed and Respironics have had their share of problems from time to time. So have other CPAP manufacturers.

For a DME to make a sweeping generalization that a major brand as a whole is "crap" .... well, he's not a DME employee I'd have much confidence in when he makes other pronouncements (as I think he'd be inclined to do.)
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:05 am

I do well with ResMed's equipment, the inhale-exhale pressure delivery technology matches my natural breathing pattern so I am not fighting with the machine all night. While I object to their corporate thinking that their customers are the docs and DMEs instead of us who sleep with their products and to their product pricing as well as the idiot smiley face on the S9s, I must admit that I've gotten excellent communications every time I've called their customer service reps. I had to replace my original AutoSet II as it became contaminated with something, fungus I guess, which I noticed when I went to bed on a Sunday night (thank goodness I had my original CPAP machine & multiple backup hoses and masks as I tossed the ones I'd been using). I called ResMed Monday morning and discussed my options under my warranty. Decided to return via my sleep doc tho I bought it from our host, delivered it to my doc's office a few hrs later, paid for shipping & the office time, and got a replacement from ResMed of my APAP at the end of the next week.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.