Frustrated with Vpap AdaptSV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ReluctantCpapUser

Frustrated with Vpap AdaptSV

Post by ReluctantCpapUser » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello all,

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. I have had terrible problems with aerophagia. My DME loaned me several different machines to find one that I could tolerate. We finally settled on the Resmed Vpap AdaptSV, as this unit gave me the least difficulty.

Recently my aerophagia has gotten worse, and I'm just not feeling rested in the morning. I decided that it was time to take my treatment into my own hands. I got a copy of the ResScan software (surprisingly, from Resmed's web site), and hooked up my machine to my computer with a serial null-modem cable and USB adaptor. After downloading the data, I was really disappointed that my machine does not track AHI! What kind of a useless piece of junk is this that it gives no indication of how my well my treatment is working?

Does anybody have any tips for determining how well my treatment is working by looking at the other data (respiratory rate, minute ventilation, pressure etc.)? The data is quite detailed (but apparently useless).

My max inspiratory pressure (95th percentile) is 9.6 and my medium inspiratory pressure is 7.6. My average pressure is 5.6, so I'm not on a very high level of pressure, and the machine is keeping my inspiratory pressure within the machine set range, so I assume that I am getting adequate support, but I just don't feel rested. Perhaps it is because of the number of times I wake up having to burp.

ozze_dollar

Re: Frustrated with Vpap AdaptSV

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Your machine should be tracking AHI. Is it not showing at all or is it showing nil?
When you stop using your machine press the "i" button twice and it should show you the last nights AHI. I have been having a problem with mine showing nil and I dont believe it.

ReluctantCpapUser

Post by ReluctantCpapUser » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:08 pm

It doesn't show at all. When I researched this on the web, I found out that only the Vpap AdaptSV *enhanced* tracks AHI.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Well I know mine tracks AHI as when I first got it it was giving me low readings each morning but now it just shows nil. What country are you in? I am in Australia and my machine is just new.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 pm

ReluctantCpapUser wrote:Hello all,

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. I have had terrible problems with aerophagia. My DME loaned me several different machines to find one that I could tolerate. We finally settled on the Resmed Vpap AdaptSV, as this unit gave me the least difficulty.

Recently my aerophagia has gotten worse, and I'm just not feeling rested in the morning. I decided that it was time to take my treatment into my own hands. I got a copy of the ResScan software (surprisingly, from Resmed's web site), and hooked up my machine to my computer with a serial null-modem cable and USB adaptor. After downloading the data, I was really disappointed that my machine does not track AHI! What kind of a useless piece of junk is this that it gives no indication of how my well my treatment is working?

Does anybody have any tips for determining how well my treatment is working by looking at the other data (respiratory rate, minute ventilation, pressure etc.)? The data is quite detailed (but apparently useless).

My max inspiratory pressure (95th percentile) is 9.6 and my medium inspiratory pressure is 7.6. My average pressure is 5.6, so I'm not on a very high level of pressure, and the machine is keeping my inspiratory pressure within the machine set range, so I assume that I am getting adequate support, but I just don't feel rested. Perhaps it is because of the number of times I wake up having to burp.
Hmmm, it appears the provider given you an old old version of that Resmed ASV (same as mine).
I can't think of any adjustment you could try - the settings are already so low.

But tell me what mode are you running this machine in ? CPAP or ASV ?

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:44 pm

There are two types of Resmed VPAP AdaptSV units. One is the original that only tracks compliance time. The other is the "Enhanced" model (it says "Enhanced on the display cover on top). That one tracks AHI values. It is possible your DME provided you with an older version.

Does your machine look like this?:

Or does it look like this?:

If it looks like the first, then check to see if it has "Enhanced" on the top of it. It it looks like the first unit but does not have "Enhanced", then they provided an older unit (two years old at least).

If it looks like the second, then you a different version of ResScan.

Since you mentioned using a null modem cable, then I suspect it looks like the first image. That one uses a serial port to download the data. The S9 version (the second model) uses an SD card to save the data.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Arfito,jr.

Post by Arfito,jr. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 pm

As others have advised, only the "Enhanced" version of this machine will track AHI & AI. I ran into the same problem & my DME replaced with "Enhanced" version which tracks both plus a wealth of other information. Enhanced version is an excellent machine.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:24 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:There are two types of Resmed VPAP AdaptSV units. One is the original that only tracks compliance time. The other is the "Enhanced" model (it says "Enhanced on the display cover on top). That one tracks AHI values. . . . .
Aside from the original AdaptSV not providing full data, does it provide the same treatment? I ask because I am thinking of buying a used one, to see if it works better for me than the AutoSV.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Mine is the S9 type with the SD card

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:09 pm

moresleep wrote:
JohnBFisher wrote:There are two types of Resmed VPAP AdaptSV units. One is the original that only tracks compliance time. The other is the "Enhanced" model (it says "Enhanced on the display cover on top). That one tracks AHI values. . . . .
Aside from the original AdaptSV not providing full data, does it provide the same treatment? I ask because I am thinking of buying a used one, to see if it works better for me than the AutoSV.
moresleep,
stopped worrying about AHI a long time ago & focus on how I feel each day (no sleepy periods growing).
AHI is a useful yardstick but doesn't really always reflect how one may feel. I have the original model &
see no need to swap it. The only other feature of the advanced model (prior to the S9 version) was that
it could go up to 25 CMs vs 20 on the pre-advanced. - Again 20 CMs as as high as I want to go.

I am pretty sure that even if you have the 25 CMs model, that ASV support will not go more than 9 CMs
above the current ipap pressure which is epap + ps. In my case 10+3 = 13 so if I had the advanced, for
my settings I believe it would not go above approx 22 CMs at any time.

These machines normalize in 3 breaths & each breath I believe to be *up to* a 3 CMs increase per breath.
I may be wrong on this but it is what a pressure manometer was indicating was happening.

Interestingly this should be proveable one way or the other if anyone with the newest machines can
look for where ipap exceeds its normal range. Does it appear to max at 3 for 3 breaths or does it
leap 10 CMs or so in one breath. ? - pat on the head to the 1st intrepid ASV user to find out

Good luck.

DSM

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 pm

First post. Former Lurker. Still a little ignorant.

I have the S9 and by holding the two buttons on the right, I get my AHI. I have to do it before noon though, because it resets itself.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Newbie Woman wrote:First post. Former Lurker. Still a little ignorant.

I have the S9 and by holding the two buttons on the right, I get my AHI. I have to do it before noon though, because it resets itself.
Newbie Woman (welcome aboard )

That usually works well for an S9 machine - this user appears to have an older & much more complex machine. If it is what we think, it didn't even record display AHI data let alone display it.

Cheers

DSM

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 am

Newbie Woman wrote:First post. Former Lurker. Still a little ignorant.

Thats because you start a new day!

ReluctantCpapUser

Post by ReluctantCpapUser » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 am

JohnBFisher wrote:There are two types of Resmed VPAP AdaptSV units. One is the original that only tracks compliance time. The other is the "Enhanced" model (it says "Enhanced on the display cover on top). That one tracks AHI values. It is possible your DME provided you with an older version.

Does your machine look like this?:

My machine is the older AdaptSV, and yes it looks like that.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 am

dsm wrote:
moresleep wrote:
moresleep,
stopped worrying about AHI a long time ago & focus on how I feel each day (no sleepy periods growing).
AHI is a useful yardstick but doesn't really always reflect how one may feel. I have the original model &
see no need to swap it. The only other feature of the advanced model (prior to the S9 version) was that
it could go up to 25 CMs vs 20 on the pre-advanced. - Again 20 CMs as as high as I want to go.
Thanks! Yes, I agree; AHI is not the be-all-end-all for how well the therapy works. Many times, I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel--grogginess, bags under the eyes, etc.--even though the AHI is pretty much the same. I suspect it has more to do with how much air volume I am getting when I take those breath...