OT: Borders to shut all stores

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JointPain

OT: Borders to shut all stores

Post by JointPain » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I saw in the news that Borders is to close all its remaining stores.

This is very upsetting to me, so I can't sleep. Tried once already, but couldn't stay in bed. I like going into real bookstores and picking up a good book or two. Browsing amazon just isn't the same.

Marietjie

Re: OT: Borders to shut all stores

Post by Marietjie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 am

. . . (Borders)threw in the towel Monday and announced it was going into liquidation.

Oh my! JointPain - join the library!?

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 am

Very sad, Borders began in my hometown, I used to love going to their original store, there were clerks who loved and knew books. All that changed when the Borders brothers sold the business some years ago, When the flagship store closes it will leave a big hole in downtown Ann Arbor.
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am

There was a Borders walking distance from my house, which was both a joy and a curse to my library and budget, respectively. When it started shutting down last spring I was able to pick up some nice bargains, but shopping online now is not the same as being able to pick up a book and page through it to decide if it's worth buying.

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm

I have never seen a Borders store but commiserate with you. You can't beat a good browse in a book store, heaven. I never buy books
on line as I prefer to support the few book stores we have left. Our small local book store stocks a few used books also.
I doubt if I will live long enough to read all the books I have collected so far , but that doesn't stop me.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:13 pm

This leaves Barnes and Noble and I am sure the closing of Borders will help them somewhat.

Does anyone know how they're doing business wise?
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Bummer, I love Borders.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

AmIawake

Post by AmIawake » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Live near the second store they opened. The sign out front says Borders Book Shop. The store wasn't big enough for all of the sideshows they put on over the years. I buy more specialized books on travel/nature subjects. I loved to browse and impulse buy those kinds of titles. They cut those titles. Nothing left to browse. They could order it of course. But so could I and get it cheaper and faster. No reason to visit the store. Yet another Michigan based business goes belly up.

When do I get the t-shirt?

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 am

ameriken wrote:This leaves Barnes and Noble and I am sure the closing of Borders will help them somewhat.

Does anyone know how they're doing business wise?
From Cleveland.com & The Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index ... eling.html )

Barnes & Noble, meanwhile, racked up record sales of $7 billion in fiscal 2011, a 20 percent increase from the previous year.

RIP Borders

-Bill

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 am

Just got an email from Borders suggesting switching your Borders eBooks to a service called Kobo.
No mention of bankruptcy but I'm thinking if you have Borders eBooks, it would be a good thing to get out from under before all is lost.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am

Sad but.......All bookstores will soon disappear. Books are now being downloaded to Kindle and Rooks or bought on Amazon.com. Music is being downloaded from I Tunes to I Pods and Movies are downloaded through Netflix to computers or TVs . Books, CD's and DVD's are on the way out. Soon all students will have Kindles and will no longer need Textbooks.....maybe the backpack's will go next. Newspapers have already started to disappear since most news is seen on TV or internet. I'm guessing that Libraries will be different in the future...all electronic.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 am

LSAT wrote:Sad but.......All bookstores will soon disappear. Books are now being downloaded to Kindle and Rooks or bought on Amazon.com. Music is being downloaded from I Tunes to I Pods and Movies are downloaded through Netflix to computers or TVs . Books, CD's and DVD's are on the way out. Soon all students will have Kindles and will no longer need Textbooks.....maybe the backpack's will go next. Newspapers have already started to disappear since most news is seen on TV or internet. I'm guessing that Libraries will be different in the future...all electronic.
The trees are going to be happy.