ASV users: the everything ASV thread.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JohnBFisher

Re: ASV users: the everything ASV thread.

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:10 pm

pharm30 wrote:... anyone know what display code E67 means? ...
First, what type of ASV unit do you have?
Second, have you called the manufacturer? They should be able to help.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

If it's an old tank Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advaned unit, then that error code is:

Error Code = E67
Description = Operating system failed initialization
Probable Cause = Defective FLASH or RAM chip
Corrective Action = Replace Main PCA

From that information and if it is still under warranty, I assume this means that your DME will need to replace the entire unit.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 pm

pharm30 wrote:anyone know what display code E67 means? I have alarm going off and haven't used machine since Thursday.
Does the three beep, then two beep, two of the buttons are blinking, and that code on display.
The reset button does nothing, only thing I can do is unplug the power to get it off.
It runs for about 20 min, then alarm goes off again.
Called DME first thing this AM, of course they have not called me back yet.
My guess is they will have NO idea....
Hi pharm30,

Here's a thread that I wrote regarding an ASV repair that resulted in getting a NEW ASV for only $115:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80239&p=729969#p729969

If the repair isn't covered and (hopefully) the machine is less than two years old, this company will either repair or replace it for $100 plus shipping $15.

Good Luck!

MAXDRI

Anyone using ResMed VPAP Adapt?

Post by MAXDRI » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi,
My name is Maxine and I'm fairly new to this forum. I have skimmed through many of the posts on the ASV thread. Maybe I missed it, but is anyone using the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt? I have had mine about a month. Before that, I used a Respironics equivalent for several years. The first week with the ResMed was terrible. It would zoom up to a high pressure & literally blow my mask off. The doctor permitted a lowering of the maximum pressure & I am doing a little bit better. There is no RAMP on this machine, unless you are using it in a CPAP mode. I don't think anyone would buy this expensive machine, supposedly designed for those of us with Central/Complex Sleep Apnea, and program it for a CPAP mode... Really, ResMed, if you are listening, I hope you enable a RAMP feature on the next version of this machine.
I think I have tried every mask on the market & I'm still looking for one that is comfortable & can handle occasional high pressures. The FitLife Total can sometimes do it, but it doesn't work well for a side sleeper. Any suggestions?

MAXDRI

Post by MAXDRI » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I think I did something wrong on my last post. Sorry. Forgive an old woman who is still learning.

Grand-PAP

Re: Anyone using ResMed VPAP Adapt?

Post by Grand-PAP » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

MAXDRI wrote: Looking for Res Scan software that will read card from a ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt machine
Hi MAXDRI,

Below I have pasted links to allow you to download both SleepyHead and ResScan software.

I used the S9 Adapt also. Some people have more difficulty than others adjusting to it. Personally, I didn't have the problem you discussed. One month may not be enough time for you to adjust to it. Plus from your post, it looks like you only had one pressure adjustment. With SleepyHead and/or ResScan you can monitor your own therapy results. If you don't see favorable results that will give you data to address the therapy with your Doc. If you can get your pressures right I think you will be very satisfied with the S9 Adapt.
MAXDRI wrote:I think I have tried every mask on the market & I'm still looking for one that is comfortable & can handle occasional high pressures. The FitLife Total can sometimes do it, but it doesn't work well for a side sleeper. Any suggestions?

Regarding your FitLife, I have a suggestion. After 10 months of trying a multitude of masks, I had settled on the ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face mask, even though it didn't work extremely well for me. I found an ad for a very inexpensive FitLife and ordered it sort of a mask of last resort. Immediately, I was very impressed with the mask, but as you pointed out, I did have leakage and noise very often when sleeping on my side. I did a VERY SIMPLE modification and it works perfectly . . .

I took a regular chinstrap, pulled it around the top of the face plate of the mask (on the plastic) and pulled it snug around the back of my head, but not tight. The extra pressure on the face of the mask holds it much more securely than the headgear straps. Another thing, I use a hose hanger. That totally prevents the tension on the hose from pulling on the mask. I am able to move from side to side and sleep on both sides with little or no problems!

I have used it for 11 nights and had a total of 4 CAs and Zero OAs.

You might want to give it a try.

Best of luck with your therapy!

URLs for downloading SleepyHead and ResScan and tutorials:

Download SleepyHead Software:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/files/

SleepyHead User’s: Guide:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/s ... sers_Guide

SleepyHead Glossary of Terms:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/s ... r_Glossary

Download ResScan:
http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/html/s ... ister.html

ResScan Video Tutorial:
http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/resscan_tutorial/

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 pm

My sleep doc made a decision to arrange for me to have a sleep study using an ASV machine later this month. Now the work begins in terms of getting educated as much as possible prior to the sleep study. I know that after the study, he'll evaluate the results the next morning and make a recommendation. If he gives me the green light on an ASV machine, I certainly want to make a wise choice on the equipment. I'd greatly appreciate some advise from the experienced people on this site on how to quickly get up to speed on what I'm about to embark on. Thank you. -Chuck-

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Chuck Connors wrote:My sleep doc made a decision to arrange for me to have a sleep study using an ASV machine later this month. Now the work begins in terms of getting educated as much as possible prior to the sleep study. I know that after the study, he'll evaluate the results the next morning and make a recommendation. If he gives me the green light on an ASV machine, I certainly want to make a wise choice on the equipment. I'd greatly appreciate some advise from the experienced people on this site on how to quickly get up to speed on what I'm about to embark on. Thank you. -Chuck-
It really depends on your problem. Do you have Complex Sleep Apnea, which is when you get central apneas when pressure is applied? Or do you have just Central Sleep Apnea, which is when you are just not attempting to breathe even if there is no added pressure? Do you have more problems as you fall asleep and awaken during the sleep state transition? Do you have Congestive Heart Failure, which often causes Cheyne-Stokes Respiration?

In general, if you have problems during the sleep state transition, or if you have problems where your breathing rate is just NOT regular, then the Resmed S9 VPAP AdaptSV is what I would recommend. I use the analogy of a sports car compared to a luxury car. The Sports car has a much "tighter" steering response. The Luxury car has a much "looser" steering response. The Resmed ASV unit has a tighter steering response when you breathe. It will INSIST that you breathe in a very regular manner. But if you have problems with poor regulation of your breathing that is actually very comforting. The Respironics ASV unit has a much "looser" steering when you breathe. It encourages you to breathe. But if your "Patient Triggered Breathing" is pretty low, then the Resmed unit is a better choice. So, you might want to ask your doctor how your "Patient Triggered Breathing" was. If it's pretty high (in the 90% range), you will probably find the Respironics ASV unit an easier unit to use. If it's lower, then the Resmed ASV unit will help you regulate your breathing ... the downside is that it takes longer to adjust to it than the Respironics ASV unit.

Oh, and that's the other thing. It takes a good two to three months to fully adjust to an ASV unit. So, don't be surprised if your first few days are a real struggle. And you will need to replace your mask much more frequently than you would with CPAP or BiPAP. The ASV unit changes the pressure a LOT more dramatically, which causes the mask cushion to stiffen and start to leak. You will probably need to change the mask once a month or so.

Hope that helps.

MAXDRI

Post by MAXDRI » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks, Grandpap,
I really appreciate your suggestion about using another strap around the top of the FitLife. I will try it tonight. Last night I used tape, lots of paper tape, across the top of the mask. I have a pole attached to my headboard. It swings from side to side as I turn in the night. That part of my set up is working. I wish I could stay on my back, but my sleeping body won't let me. I have ordered another mask, a Respironics Amara Full Face mask. It says it is good for side sleepers - but then, don't they all? It is 5:30 p.m. in California, & I'm off to an A.W.A.K.E support group. There are usually at least 30 people in attendance. Not one has Central/Complex Sleep Apnea. I am so glad I found this group. In reading your posts, I have learned more from you in a few days than I learned from my medical establishment in four years.

pharm30

Post by pharm30 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:37 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:
If it's an old tank Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advaned unit, then that error code is:

Error Code = E67

From that information and if it is still under warranty, I assume this means that your DME will need to replace the entire unit.
Yep! I had the old tank unit..supposedly getting the system 1 tomorrow.
Thanks

pharm30

Post by pharm30 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 am

pharm30 wrote:
JohnBFisher wrote:

Error Code = E67

Yep! I had the old tank unit..supposedly getting the system 1 tomorrow.
Thanks
Got my new machine today. The guy showed me how to turn it on and how to change the humidifier setting. Didn't leave me a manual.
anyone got any tips or advice on using?
Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

pharm30 wrote:The guy showed me how to turn it on and how to change the humidifier setting. Didn't leave me a manual.
anyone got any tips or advice on using?
Check your private message box. I sent you a link for the provider manual as well as software information.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pharm30

Post by pharm30 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 pm

So I got a free sleep study at my fiance's work last week.
The tech looked at my previous studies and didn't really know why they did what they did.
I was only on CPAP for 8 minutes and had 3 centrals and tech switched my to Bipap...

Anyway, my sleep study showed few obstructives and several hypopneas while on my back and basically no events on my side.
I had a couple sleep onset centrals, but apparently those were insignificant. I think AHI was 11.
The Dr cannot believe I have a ASV machine or a previous diagnosis of complex sleep apnea.
His conclusion was I have positional obstructive apnea and that I don't really need a machine. Just try to avoid sleeping on my back.
He said try sleeping without machine for a month and see how I feel?

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you for the good advise, Mr. JohnBFisher. My sleep study this past Sunday involved knocking out those Centrals. It was likely the best night of sleep I've ever had. I was completely alert and on my game all day Monday. I learned today that my study has been scored and the doctor wrote the prescription for a rental machine (rent to own). The respiratory therapist stated that they usually recommend the Resmed S9 VPAP AdaptSV. I'm very much looking forward to improved sleep. -Chuck-
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
JohnBFisher wrote:
Chuck Connors wrote:My sleep doc made a decision to arrange for me to have a sleep study using an ASV machine later this month. Now the work begins in terms of getting educated as much as possible prior to the sleep study. I know that after the study, he'll evaluate the results the next morning and make a recommendation. If he gives me the green light on an ASV machine, I certainly want to make a wise choice on the equipment. I'd greatly appreciate some advise from the experienced people on this site on how to quickly get up to speed on what I'm about to embark on. Thank you. -Chuck-
It really depends on your problem. Do you have Complex Sleep Apnea, which is when you get central apneas when pressure is applied? Or do you have just Central Sleep Apnea, which is when you are just not attempting to breathe even if there is no added pressure? Do you have more problems as you fall asleep and awaken during the sleep state transition? Do you have Congestive Heart Failure, which often causes Cheyne-Stokes Respiration?

In general, if you have problems during the sleep state transition, or if you have problems where your breathing rate is just NOT regular, then the Resmed S9 VPAP AdaptSV is what I would recommend. I use the analogy of a sports car compared to a luxury car. The Sports car has a much "tighter" steering response. The Luxury car has a much "looser" steering response. The Resmed ASV unit has a tighter steering response when you breathe. It will INSIST that you breathe in a very regular manner. But if you have problems with poor regulation of your breathing that is actually very comforting. The Respironics ASV unit has a much "looser" steering when you breathe. It encourages you to breathe. But if your "Patient Triggered Breathing" is pretty low, then the Resmed unit is a better choice. So, you might want to ask your doctor how your "Patient Triggered Breathing" was. If it's pretty high (in the 90% range), you will probably find the Respironics ASV unit an easier unit to use. If it's lower, then the Resmed ASV unit will help you regulate your breathing ... the downside is that it takes longer to adjust to it than the Respironics ASV unit.

Oh, and that's the other thing. It takes a good two to three months to fully adjust to an ASV unit. So, don't be surprised if your first few days are a real struggle. And you will need to replace your mask much more frequently than you would with CPAP or BiPAP. The ASV unit changes the pressure a LOT more dramatically, which causes the mask cushion to stiffen and start to leak. You will probably need to change the mask once a month or so.

Hope that helps.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

Chuck Connors wrote:... Thank you for the good advise, Mr. JohnBFisher. My sleep study this past Sunday involved knocking out those Centrals. It was likely the best night of sleep I've ever had. I was completely alert and on my game all day Monday. I learned today that my study has been scored and the doctor wrote the prescription for a rental machine (rent to own). The respiratory therapist stated that they usually recommend the Resmed S9 VPAP AdaptSV. I'm very much looking forward to improved sleep. ...
I'm glad the input help. But even more importantly, I'm glad that the ASV titration sleep study was a resounding success for you. Hopefully you will be one of the folks that quickly adjust to ASV therapy. Still, as I noted, it might take a few months before it is completely normal to have the machine jump in when you stop breathing. Even now .. about three years later .. it can catch me "off guard".