OT: C25K

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WhoDatSleeping

OT: C25K

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 am

I just started doing this program now that I have some energy thanks to CPAP therapy.

Has anyone else done this program and if so, do you have any advice to share?

Thansk

cowlypso

Re: OT: C25K

Post by cowlypso » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 am

I did it last fall. I made it through the whole program and ran a 5K on Halloween.

I used a podcast, which helped a lot because I didn't have to worry about timing myself or keeping track of distance. I tried a few different ones, but I found that Rob Ullrey's were my favorite (http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm). The music is some fairly generic techno, not my first choice but not objectionable. The thing that I appreciated about his podcasts is that he's very encouraging. It sort of feels like there's somebody running along with you, keeping you going. Plus, the beat of the music is a reasonable running pace.

If you find that you are struggling with a week, feel free to repeat it. If you can't make it all the way through a scheduled run, slow down your pace. Lots of people start out running way too fast and give up thinking that they can't do it. For me, it wasn't about running fast, but about running longer distances. My time for the 5K came in at just over 13 minutes per mile, which is an abysmally slow running pace (I got beat by lots of power walkers!), and slower than my training runs. But I wasn't focusing on the time. My goal for that race was to run the whole stinking thing without stopping. So when I showed up and realized that the course was a lot hillier than where I'd been training, I slowed down to be sure I'd make it the whole way (seriously, I don't think there was a flat spot anywhere on the course... it wall all uphill or downhill).

I do highly recommend the program. You might look into entering a 5K that will be held a week or so after you are scheduled to finish the program. Give yourself a 1-2 week cushion in case you fall behind a little in the program. But by entering that race, it will give you something to work towards. In the same vein, once you are nearing the end of the program, be sure to come up with a follow-up plan. There are lots of other programs out there designed to help increase your distance, or you could just commit to running a certain amount of time or distance each day. But it's easy, once you've completed the program and reached your goal, to just stop there (I should know - I did! But I'm starting over again next week).

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks for the great advice! I look forward to starting this up!

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:54 pm

That program is very popular on the LoseIt! web site, in the forums.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Funny you mention Loseit! I am on that as well!