Occassional stuffed nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jellybumpy

Occassional stuffed nose

Post by jellybumpy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 am

Hi,

I recently started using Philips Respironics Remstar Auto A-Flex and a Philips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier.Also, I'm using the ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask coupled with a small quantity of Oxygen. The system works fine until can't breathe through my nose because it is severely stuffed. Breathing through my Mouth is very uncomfortable. Is there a Nose Spray or a Tablet that would relieve the stuffed nose problem? I can't take anything that will effect Blood Pressure or create a problem with Urine flow. Thanks to any and all that can provide some advice.

ameriken

Re: Occassional stuffed nose

Post by ameriken » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 am

I use 'flunisolide', which is a nasal spray that clears my nose out really well. Talk to your doctor, it's a prescription and there are several others out there as well, like Flonase and a few others that work really well.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am

Personally, I always choose a non-medication solution when one is available. The less meds, the better, in my book. So I use a neti pot when I'm congested. Sounds gross (or at least, it did to me before I tried it), but it's not. NeilMed makes a nice unit (either the pot, itself, or a squirt bottle), available in lots of places (drug store, grocery store, etc.) for about $15.

FYI, our host sells it, too: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/neilme ... r-kit.html
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 am

Go to your drug store or wally world and buy a tube of this: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... e12c4b43fe

I use it every night before I go to bed. It solved my stuffy nose.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Having clear nasal passages is critical to effective treatment with xpap. Take a look these two informational pieces. Both are really great.

http://sleeptreatment.com/allergy-video-series - Dr. Barry Krakow's videos on nasal breathing

http://doctorstevenpark.com/unstuff-your-stuffy-nose - Dr. Steven Park's free pdf on "Unstuff Your Stuffy Nose"

I try to take as few medications as possible. It took me a while to warm up to using a neti pot. Believe me, it is very easy and very effective!

Following are some tips from Dr. Carolyn Dean MD and ND - I have used the sesame oil as a lubricant and I really like the effect:

Nasal Lubrication
Many people find this simple strategy very effective. Its origins are in ancient India with many benefits ranging from preventing headaches, avoiding Alzheimer’s to improving your sense of smell. Ayurvedic practitioners have been successfully recommending this low-cost remedy for centuries.

1. Fill a medicine dropper with organic sesame oil.
2. Tip your head back and put one drop in each nostril.
3. Inhale deeply three times, feeling the oil move into your sinus cavities. Some oil may drip down your throat but don’t worry. This can soothe your throat and lubricate your vocal cords!
4. Wipe away any excess oil with tissue paper or running water.
5. Use 2-6 drops per day.

Or you can try this method: .
1. Wash hands well.
2. Put two drops of oil from a dropper bottle into palm.
3. Dip little finger in the oil.
4. Apply the oil to the inside of nostrils and sniff while doing it.

Make sure you don’t store a large quantity of oil for nasal lubrication in your bathroom. Keep only a half–full medicine dropper bottle at a time out of the fridge. Oils can spoil and become rancid if left in a warm location for too long.

The easiest way to add nasal lubrication to your life is to make it part of your morning and evening routine. It only takes about 30 seconds.

Why It Works…
No matter how perfect your diet or how clean you keep your living space — or even whether you live in the big city or some pristine valley — you’re inhaling as much as two and a half tablespoons of irritants every single day. This includes the unnatural items like petrol, perfumes and the natural offenders like pollen, animal fur and dust. These can get trapped in your nasal passages where they can irritate the delicate mucus membranes. Viruses can find a home in this environment leading to colds (where your body creates a mucous response to flush out the irritants). Winds blow and dust is in the air settling everywhere — including our nasal passages. We do have nasal hairs that trap some of this dust and we do sneeze it out and blow it out, but nasal lubrication takes you one step further. By sniffing oil you help prevent these “nasties” from congesting your nasal passage in the first place. The oil also works as a barrier between your nasal passage and unwanted viruses.

After four weeks of nasal lubrication, you may find that you don’t want to stop. That’s a clear sign that your body is benefiting. You should start feeling less dryness and crusting in your nose. Congestion in your nasal passages will be reduced. And if you have allergies you will probably be less sensitive to pollutants and pollen. You may also notice your sense of smell improving. The oil will actually lubricate those nerve endings.
Because you won’t be as congested, you will not need to work so hard at breathing. You’ll also be able to enjoy deeper sleep. Notice whether you feel more refreshed in the morning. I’m convinced that this treatment can even help people with sleep apnea.

You may find the oil loosens up a lot of “junk” that’s been hardening to the sides of your deep nasal passages and you may have to blow your nose more than you are used to. Better out than in. This beneficial side effect of a drippy nose should clear up in a few days. If you used to experience a sinus pain and now you don’t, and the nasal drip continues, this may be a sign that you are continuing to inhale a lot of irritants. The oil is merely stopping the irritants from “sticking” to your sinus cavity and flushing them out.

Place a few drops of sesame oil in your nose before you get your neti pot ready. This will help loosen up irritants and then the neti pot can wash them away. Even more important, though, is to do it after you do the neti pot. The saline solution you used may have a very drying effect on the nasal cavity.

AMUW

Post by AMUW » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 pm

jellybumpy wrote: I recently started using Philips Respironics Remstar Auto A-Flex and a Philips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier.Also, I'm using the ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask coupled with a small quantity of Oxygen. The system works fine until can't breathe through my nose because it is severely stuffed...
CPAP-related nasal congestion / inflammation / stuffiness / blockage / obstruction is a broad subject... I've found no magic bullet for it, like Dr. Park's promotions seem to imply.
If you search these keywords in the forum archives, you'll find lots of descriptions of symptoms, suspected causes, and more fix suggestions than you'll know what to do with.
You may wish to figure out whether the cause is allergic or not.
You may take notes on how many hours it takes into the night for it to build up and wake you up, possibly during what stage of sleep (if you can interpret your flow curves), whether additional days on CPAP worsen it...
and once you stop CPAP, how long the congestion relief takes to return to normal nasal-only breathing; whether getting up provides quick relief, or whether it takes several hours or days.
Once you start a decongestant with a certain duration of effectivity, there are several strategies on when to take it.
Your system may need time to adapt to the new breathing environment.
Best wishes.
Moderate-severe OSA, ResMed S9 AutoSet EPR + H5i Humidifier, ResMed Masks: trying Swift FX Nasal Pillow, Mirage Nasal, Mirage Quatro or Quattro FX Full Face
ResMed SD card & USB adaptor, ResScan 3.10

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 am

I second the other suggestions offered (neti pot, sesame oil, flonase) and I would also offer one other that has helped me: It's called Sinus and Allergy nasal spray by a company called bioAllers. It's homeopathic and was recommended to me by a stuffy-nosed friend
I have to say that it has worked well for me. I have been having so much congestion this year that even the above remedies have been overwhelmed at times. I tend to grab the Afrin on those nights because I cannot stand to wear my FFM with a stuffy nose. It makes me so claustrophobic!! My bioAllers spray has saved me on a number of nights when I would have used Afrin. You can use it every 4 hrs and it is not as instantly effective as Afrin but within a reasonable time your congestion will clear up.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:58 pm

With your note about no drugs, the only thing I recommend you check out is a nasaline. It's my first defense and the best. Most times I can avoid or greatly reduce the Antihistamines and Decongestants I would take.