Review: Pad-A-Cheek Quattro FX Mask Liner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JohnBFisher

Review: Pad-A-Cheek Quattro FX Mask Liner

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 pm

I promised I would provide a review of Pad-A-Cheek's Quattro FX Mask Liner. But first the standard disclaimers:
  • I have no financial or other interest in Pad-A-Cheek other than as a user.
  • I use an ASV unit, which requires a GREAT seal at very high pressures.
  • Most users may not need a mask liner.
  • I do not use a mask liner to protect my skin. Masks don't bother my skin.
  • I've used various masks and nasal pillows for 20 years, so my thoughts are based on a LOT of experience.
  • I am not a medical professional. Just a professional user.
  • My thoughts and opinions are my own. Use them. They are cheap enough!
So, why did I need a mask liner? Well, as you may know, I have a neurological disorder that is progressing. It impacts my brain stem. That seems to be the cause of my fairly severe central sleep apnea. To help me sleep, my neurologist prescribed an ASV unit. I have and use both Resmed and Respironics ASV units. Both, to help me maintain respiration, ramp up my pressure to 25 to 30cm H2O. The wild swing from about 10cm H2O for the Expiration Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) to 25 to 30cm H2O for the Inspiration Positive Airway Pressure (IPAP) can cause most masks to leak. It's a wild swing. And those swings can lead to leaks. So, I use mask liners to help reduce the leaks.

I purchased REMzzzs mask liners for my older Quattro Full Face Mask. They also work for the Quattro FX Full Face Mask. As my neurological disorder progressed, I've found that I need to use them more and more. Those do work. But the disadvantage is that you need to replace them every few days. By using them more than once per night, it makes the price fairly reasonable. I can recommend the REMzzzs mask liners.

The REMzzzs mask liners do have another disadvantage. You need to place them on your face and then carefully place the mask over the liner. It is awkward. Especially if you are half asleep. And I found that as I slept they tended to move. So once or twice a night, I found I had to reposition the mask liners. Gads! That defeats the purpose of the mask liners.

The final disadvantage of the REMzzzs mask liner is that they build up facial oils after a couple nights (depends on how oily your face tends to be). I suppose you might be able to wash and reuse it, but it's not designed for that. Thus, they can cost more over the long haul.

Since I needed to use them every night, I considered Pad-A-Cheek's mask liners. The difference in the design is that these are designed to fit over the mask and stay in place. This helps address the two disadvantages of the REMzzzs mask liners. First, they can be reused from night to night. Second, they can be washed and reused.

I was concerned that the design might interfere with the venting of the mask. The design is wonderful. It stays completely away from the vent holes. It has a "pocket" into which the top of the mask slips and then it velcros on the back well below the vent holes. It's an ingenious design.

The instructions that come with the mask are clear and effective. I had no problems installing the mask liner. You will have to adjust the opening to suit your needs. I found the opening in the REMzzzs worked without any modification. The Pad-A-Cheek mask liner required adjustment.

I do have a minor complaint about the Pad-A-Cheek mask liner for the Quattro FX Full Face Mask. This probably would not be a problem for most people. I found I need a LARGE mask. In fact, I need the large headgear to make it fit well. (Nope. a big head does not mean a big brain. My big head just leaves more room for the echoes! ) The mask liner is designed as a "one size fits all" product. As a result, I found it does not fit as well to the sides. That would not be a problem with a medium Quattro FX mask. So, I must be pretty careful that I pull the sides toward each side. But that minor adjustment is simple to make.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Pad-A-Cheek mask liner for the Quattro FX Full Face Mask. It is money well spent.

Links:

REMzzzs mask liners - http://www.remzzzs.com/
Pad-A-Cheek mask liners - http://padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

JeffH

Re: Review: Pad-A-Cheek Quattro FX Mask Liner

Post by JeffH » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 pm

I like Padacheeks liners for the FX so well I bought two so I always have a clean one when I change them about once a week. And if I forget to wash the cushion, on well. Doesn't seem to matter much with the mask liners in place. I'm a big fan!

JeffH

adipasqu

Post by adipasqu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 pm

John,

I agree with everything you stated. I started on the Remzzzz's and just upgraded to the Pad-a-cheek a week or so ago. Already, I am finding the Pad-a-cheek design superior due to the fact that it stays in place much better than the Remzzzz's, especially when you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. The only thing the Pad-a-cheek could improve upon for Quattro FX users would be a way to secure the gasket at the top of the mask without obstructing the vent holes. Maybe a low profile elastic band or something to connect to the Velcro closure... However, if you are having leak problems, I would definitely give one of these two products a try. I went from "leaks like crazy" to "rarely leaks" overnight.

-A

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for the review, John.

On the fit, do I understand correctly that these things will line up with the cushion and there's enough room for your mouth if you stretch the base of the liner a bit when you put it on?

Also, do you have any idea what the liner is made of? It doesn't say on the website, and at least with clothing, no stated fabric content usually means it's something cheap and nasty.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Otter wrote:... On the fit, do I understand correctly that these things will line up with the cushion and there's enough room for your mouth if you stretch the base of the liner a bit when you put it on? ...
You need to use a pair of scissors to adjust the hole. It's a little nerve wracking doing that. But it's easy enough to do. As the instructions note, cut a little at a time to you get enough opening without cutting too much.
Otter wrote:... Also, do you have any idea what the liner is made of? It doesn't say on the website, and at least with clothing, no stated fabric content usually means it's something cheap and nasty. ...
It's a microfiber material. It does not have a cheap/nasty feel to it. It is a woven material, but does not run if you cut material away (such as for the nose / mouth). It's a bit stretchy, but not so much that it will stretch out of shape. It's not very thick. But it's well constructed.

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:Hope that helps.
Thanks. It does.
You need to use a pair of scissors to adjust the hole. It's a little nerve wracking doing that. But it's easy enough to do. As the instructions note, cut a little at a time to you get enough opening without cutting too much.
That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll stick with my t-shirt gaskets for now. The shirt I'm using only cost $3 when it was new, and there's enough material to screw up several times, which I have done. I'm really not very good with cloth. But maybe when I become a little more skillful with the scissors I'll give Padacheek a try.

FizzyWater

Post by FizzyWater » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:34 pm

I bought one of these and still haven't figured out how to get it to work. It feels too small for the mask, to be honest. The sewn part that's supposed to fit over the top of the mask keeps slipping off. I don't think the instructions are that great, at least not for me. I might have to try those remzzz things.

And when I put it on, my nose fits through the hole, but my mouth is completely covered. Given that I got this full-face mask because sometimes I am too congested for just a nasal mask, having my mouth covered like that only increased my claustrophobic feelings with this mask.

The very first day I wore this mask, I was able to wear it with minimal leaking. I bought the liner just in case though. Yesterday was the second time I tried to wear it and I couldn't even get it on to start with without massive leaks. I was very frustrating.

Began CPAP therapy 3/22/2011.

Some days, I guess there just aren't enough rocks -- Forrest Gump

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 am

John (& anyone else who has used both masks)

I see you have moved from the Quattro to the Quattro FX. The FX has caught my eye of late & am contemplating the investment. Would you say it was a marginal improvement or a big improvement over your regular Quattro ?

Thanks

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:53 am

FizzyWater wrote:And when I put it on, my nose fits through the hole, but my mouth is completely covered. Given that I got this full-face mask because sometimes I am too congested for just a nasal mask, having my mouth covered like that only increased my claustrophobic feelings with this mask.
I think you're supposed to cut the center out to make the hole larger. For me, that defeats the purpose of buying a mask liner. Might as well just keep cutting up my old t-shirts. If it came with a printed pattern for each size of the mask, I might try it.

trytryagain

Post by trytryagain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 am

I use the Pad a cheek liners for all my masks (and yes I alternate many) you can't compare these liners with anything made from a T-shirt. These liners are made to fit each individual mask and they are so comfortable, long lasting, washable, stay put when you take off your mask, and most of all they help ME get my leaks under control. Big Fan.

napstress

Post by napstress » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 am

Here are my thoughts about this wonderful product:

Needs padding:
The material of the Pad-A-Cheek mask liner is very thin, so to reduce the red impressions down the sides of my nose and on my cheeks, I sewed a couple of layers of Whippity Wipes for padding between the liner and the mask. The mask liner doesn't pad anything. I attribute the liner with padding to my low leak rate; I can wear my mask tight enough. But now that I added padding, I need a larger mask (I was borderline between small and medium. The dr and I decided on small, but that was before padding and without testing the masks with my mouth open, which is how I sleep).

Eliminates bridge-of-nose sores:
The liner completely eliminates open sores. The material is perfect for that: very soft. I had been using a band-aid on my nose, but peeling it off the same spot on my skin every day felt dangerous.

Size of nose/mouth hole:
I also snipped the hole a bit larger. While I did break out in a sweat doing it (not wanting to burn $15.00 for no reason), I'd rather have to do that than have the hole be too large upon arrival not be able to do anything about it. If you do it in the teeniest increments possible, you'll be OK.

Stays in place:
I love that it attaches to the mask. I had made my own liner based on the RemZzzs concept when I heard that RemZzzs could only be used a few times. I wanted to save money and minimize waste into the environment. But since my liner did not attach to the mask, the mask slid around on it over the course of the night and the mask ended up on my face anyway. The PAC has a brilliant design. I couldn't even begin to fashion one, myself (if I had even thought of it), and I'm a quilter. I swear that designer could think her way out of a paper bag!

Putting the liner on the mask:
I figured out how to get the liner onto the mask without having to undo the mask's straps that I worked so hard to get right. Here's what I do: Instead of Steps 1 and 2: On the liner, identify the hole with the velcro and the PAC tag. Position that hole so the velcro is at 12:00 and the tag is at 6:00. With the mask facing away from you, gather the straps and pull them through the liner's hole. Follow steps 3–6 in the original directions. Eliminate step 7.

Material dries quickly:
I also love that it dries so quickly. I'm a big drooler, so that helps during the night. Also, I can wash it after my early-afternoon nap and it will be dry by the time I want to go to bed that night—even living in the moist northeast.

So, I love the product. The only thing that would improve it for me would be if it had some padding.
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

trytryagain

Post by trytryagain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 am

I'd like to give another cudos to a liner that I haven't heard much about, but have tried and like. They are similar to the remzzz but have a slightly tackiness on the side that sit on the mask cushion. Once you put the mask on this tackiness keeps the cotton liner from slipping and actually stays put when you have to remove mask during the night. I ordered them from quietusliners dotcom. They are made to use for several days before disposal. They can be washed, and I find they can last longer than stated.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm

trytryagain wrote:... I'd like to give another cudos to a liner that I haven't heard much about, but have tried and like. ...
Thank you! I will have to try these.

For those of you who want a fast and quick URL:

http://quietusliners.com/

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

I LOVE my Pad-A-Cheek liner except that the bottom material has stretched out a bit and it tends to "crawl" over my mouth during the night, which can really bug me. I have to use safety pins to tuck up the excess material a little on the outside, around the hose hole.

THe material is very nice and soft and much more comfortable against my face than silicone. It feels like I'm snuggling in that satiny band that was on my blankie when I was a little kid. It greatly increases the comfort of the FF mask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm

dsm wrote:John (& anyone else who has used both masks)

I see you have moved from the Quattro to the Quattro FX. The FX has caught my eye of late & am contemplating the investment. Would you say it was a marginal improvement or a big improvement over your regular Quattro ?

Thanks

DSM
I've used both masks, and I am leaning towards liking the QFX better for best therapy. I get much better AHI readings with it.
The QFX doesn't move around for me (like it's done for some), but I will caution you that the headgear stretches out quite a bit,(after one month use) and I wound up having to get another headgear, one size smaller.

I really like the Mirage Quattro too, but it can make my nose bridge sore, as well as being somewhat leak prone.
A good solution may be to try the Padacheek FF mask liner for the MQ. It may solve the nose bridge problem as well as the leaky-ness.

Vader