Another Battery Option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lizistired

Re: Another Battery Option

Post by Lizistired » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks, I was thinking that but that's another hundred for the Resmed DC brick. I don't need to run the humidifier or the climateline on it. I wish I understood electicity better.
I just went and put mine on with a kill-a-watt and it only draws about 4-13 watts at full pressure of 8 for me. (AHI- 15.0 !!)
Maybe it's because it fluctuates... a part that could be in the machine is in the brick... why the Respironics DC cable doesn't include a brick...
I don't know, I have a full tank in the air compressor downstairs.... It wouldn't take much to get the pressure right... I told my DME when I met him that I was considering this if I couldn't get a machine right away.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

I remember someone posting here that Resmed was making a DC humidifier over a year ago. Today I read this at cpap.com
  • CPAP Power Options
    Battery Power for S9 Machine Users

YOU MUST USE a special DC Converter when drawing power directly from a DC battery source (no inverter and no humidifier). Failure to do so can result in damage to your CPAP. At this time ResMed has not manufactured an operable DC Converter cable. If you would like to use a portable DC battery, the S9 Series CPAP Machines operate on a minimum of 150 watts of portable AC power from a 12 Volt socket. The inverter must be capable of up to 300 peak watts (also known as surge watts).
It is almost laughable IF it wasn't so dam silly.

I don't understand why the voodoo for a cable for DC. I made one from Radio Shack parts to fit my Respironics several years ago for < $12.

I don't have a Resmed to play with so all I can say is either read your manual or buy a machine that will work with DC. Most other makers have one, so I don't understand why the big mystery.

Guess you could alway plug into the the inverter. Looks like Respironics makes one to fit the Resmeds?
  • Respironics Battery Kit with 150 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter

This battery kit comes with an external 150 watt continuous DC to AC power inverter for CPAP and BiPAP machines. The kit provides AC power for machines that do not come with a DC input. Use your machine's AC cord to connect to the power inverter. The Respironics portable battery pack is an external lead acid battery. This battery kit comes with the Respironics battery and the 150 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter.
LMAO
This should be extremely embarassing for the Resmed company.
Click on the "POWER" Tab -
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... chine.html

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm

They have one now with pics in Bill Bolton's thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60889&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... d+dc+power
It just seems odd to have to have a brick to go from DC to DC... that's why I was wondering about using the AC outlet.
I guess the power grid in Australia is more reliable than ours. But really, prior to this spring, I have only lost power once that lated more than an hour in 10 years. But this year has been another story.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I looks like all that DC/DC does is convert from 12 to 24V. So if anyone is handy they could always connect 2 12v batteries in series. I don't have the need or a Resmed and think Resmed is yanking you folks on this one.

Also this is from that same link above -
JohnBFisher wrote:.... I also would be surprised if the loss of power between inverter and this converter was over 5%.

And for the average user, I was extremely happy to see that Resmed changed their power supply to allow use of a modified sine wave (rather than requiring a pure sine wave). This was a HUGE step forward.
Which means that you could use the AC Inverter in the Sears 1150 jump starter and it can be used for many other things. So that would seem much wiser to me.

Or like I have mentioned many other machines are made which work on 12 VDC and you don't need all this voodoo and $100 bills

;)

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Lizistired wrote: It just seems odd to have to have a brick to go from DC to DC... that's why I was wondering about using the AC outlet.
For whatever reason Resmed to chose to design the S9 for 24 volt DC input. Car batteries and marine batteries are 12 volt. It takes a special converter to raise dc voltage from 12 volt to 24 volt. Raising dc voltages from one to another ain't easy, but changing ac voltages is. That's why alternating current became the standard for distributing electricity 125 years ago.

In an earlier discussion of the battery power for the S9 a few of us concluded that there are two lines with different voltages going from the AC brick to the S9. One is the main power at 24 volts. The other is for Whatever the purpose of the second voltage line, be it feedback from the S9 to the brick, or low voltage to power the S9 in standby mode, we have no idea. Those two aspects, the 24 vdc and the second voltage line, are why you need a brick to power the S9 from a battery, unless you use an inverter and the AC brick.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:52 pm

GumbyCT wrote:I remember someone posting here that Resmed was making a DC humidifier over a year ago. Today I read this at cpap.com
  • CPAP Power Options
    Battery Power for S9 Machine Users

YOU MUST USE a special DC Converter when drawing power directly from a DC battery source (no inverter and no humidifier). Failure to do so can result in damage to your CPAP. At this time ResMed has not manufactured an operable DC Converter cable. If you would like to use a portable DC battery, the S9 Series CPAP Machines operate on a minimum of 150 watts of portable AC power from a 12 Volt socket. The inverter must be capable of up to 300 peak watts (also known as surge watts).
It is almost laughable IF it wasn't so dam silly.

I don't understand why the voodoo for a cable for DC. I made one from Radio Shack parts to fit my Respironics several years ago for < $12.

I don't have a Resmed to play with so all I can say is either read your manual or buy a machine that will work with DC. Most other makers have one, so I don't understand why the big mystery.

Guess you could alway plug into the the inverter. Looks like Respironics makes one to fit the Resmeds?
  • Respironics Battery Kit with 150 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter

This battery kit comes with an external 150 watt continuous DC to AC power inverter for CPAP and BiPAP machines. The kit provides AC power for machines that do not come with a DC input. Use your machine's AC cord to connect to the power inverter. The Respironics portable battery pack is an external lead acid battery. This battery kit comes with the Respironics battery and the 150 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter.
LMAO
This should be extremely embarassing for the Resmed company.
Click on the "POWER" Tab -
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... chine.html

Sounds like a really good reason not to buy from ResMed.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am

GumbyCT wrote:I looks like all that DC/DC does is convert from 12 to 24V. So if anyone is handy they could always connect 2 12v batteries in series. I don't have the need or a Resmed and think Resmed is yanking you folks on this one.

Also this is from that same link above -
JohnBFisher wrote:.... I also would be surprised if the loss of power between inverter and this converter was over 5%.

And for the average user, I was extremely happy to see that Resmed changed their power supply to allow use of a modified sine wave (rather than requiring a pure sine wave). This was a HUGE step forward.
Which means that you could use the AC Inverter in the Sears 1150 jump starter and it can be used for many other things. So that would seem much wiser to me.

Or like I have mentioned many other machines are made which work on 12 VDC and you don't need all this voodoo and $100 bills
I'm going to watch for a $99 deal on those. Sears' website is showing $129 right now.
idamtnboy wrote:
Lizistired wrote: It just seems odd to have to have a brick to go from DC to DC... that's why I was wondering about using the AC outlet.
For whatever reason Resmed to chose to design the S9 for 24 volt DC input. Car batteries and marine batteries are 12 volt. It takes a special converter to raise dc voltage from 12 volt to 24 volt. Raising dc voltages from one to another ain't easy, but changing ac voltages is. That's why alternating current became the standard for distributing electricity 125 years ago.

In an earlier discussion of the battery power for the S9 a few of us concluded that there are two lines with different voltages going from the AC brick to the S9. One is the main power at 24 volts. The other is for Whatever the purpose of the second voltage line, be it feedback from the S9 to the brick, or low voltage to power the S9 in standby mode, we have no idea. Those two aspects, the 24 vdc and the second voltage line, are why you need a brick to power the S9 from a battery, unless you use an inverter and the AC brick.
Thanks, I just don't want to mess up my S9. Does this unit sound like it would work Ok that way?
archangle wrote:Sounds like a really good reason not to buy from ResMed.
But I love everything else .. well almost, about my S9

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:23 am

Lizistired wrote:I'm going to watch for a $99 deal on those. Sears' website is showing $129 right now.
See if it gets the 10% off deal here -
http://www.sears.com/?i_cntr=1307885869270
When I got the $99 deal was about 1.5yrs ago.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1260 ... ?adCell=W1

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 pm

$105.5 today only online
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G1

Amazon has the Black and Decker jump Starter VEC026BD which I think has been discontinued. Can check Home Depot and Walmart.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

For the first time since using this setup the power went out while I had the mask on. It didn't skip a beat, so if you could sleep thru the thunder (or if there was none) you would not have to get up. This storm is an extremely slow moving with plenty of lightning and thunder.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

More thunder storms last night. I have been using this Sears Jump Start battery to power my Bipap each nite since I first posted this thread without any problems.

;)

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm

GumbyCT wrote:More thunder storms last night. I have been using this Sears Jump Start battery to power my Bipap each nite since I first posted this thread without any problems.

Gumb, yer gonna make me breakdown & buy one aren't ya
better half called me today & said her battery was dead.....took truck over and jumped it off(fortunatly there was room where she was parked to squeeze in). her battery had a bad cell in a 2009 model car and dealer says bring it in fri @ 1pm for a look see. guess he thinks i am to jump it off until then (yawn).
also have noticed momentary power outages at house this week. just enough to make having to reset stove & coffee maker clocks
just a matter of time i guess

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 pm

My BiPap hasn't been on commercial power since I began using this Sears Jump Starter. We have had several short power interruptions since and that has reminded me that often times equipment is damaged when the power comes back ON, so in that way I feel much better.

Also I was given a Black & Decker Electromate 300 by a friend who apparently did not keep it plugged in. He couldn't get it working bc the battery went dead. So $55 later and I have another jump starter to play with

While the B&D battery is charging, there are a couple of things I know now I wasn't sure of before.
1. There is power to DC outlets with the Power switch OFF. A good thing.
2. The cables are easily removed from the back of it.
3. The charger is "built-in" to the box. You need to supply an AC cord.
4. This doesn't have a digital charge indicator like the Sears.

So when the battery charge is complete I can take this B&D and my spare machine to go camping without disturbing my other machine

Stay tuned for more DC experiments

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

WE had very severe thunder storms tonite that caused statewide power outages. For us it lasted about 3 hrs. While I was able to lay down with my machine on during the storm it was kinda hot inside.

The Sears unit is still holding up very well and I took the B&D out to put air in car tires without disturbing my sleep setup

;)

mck

Post by mck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 am

[quote="GumbyCT"]Last nite with thunder storms moving thru my area I decided to try something different. I had already tried my Jump Starter over nite to make sure it would last, it did. But having read on here a number of people wanting to use a UPS so they were not awakened during the power outage I thought I would use my Jump Starter while it was plugged in and charging. Remember the UPS sounds an alarm when the power goes out, this won't.

I am very new cpap user and I just began taping my mouth but I am a little afraid of suffocating if the power goes out.
You are saying that a UPS device sounds an alarm in a power outage, is this maybe something that I should buy to ease my worries?
Is there a particular model or brand that you or anybody could recommend?

Is there a simple battery back system that is not to complicated?

Thank you