Another Battery Option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Re: Another Battery Option

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 pm

I think your questions are answered in this post but then I also thought this idea was pretty darn simple too.

I will say you won't suffocate. You should think back to how long and how often you stopped breathing before you were dx'd. Most here, myself included, will say that as soon as the power goes off you will wake up. There are many threads on here about it, let me get you started.

At the top of each forum page (under the "Home" icon) is the "Advanced Search" feature - after using it you can search those results to eliminate many of the results and narrow things down.
Give it a try here -
viewtopic/p621392/search.php

Good Luck

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm

GumbyCT wrote:I will say you won't suffocate. You should think back to how long and how often you stopped breathing before you were dx'd. Most here, myself included, will say that as soon as the power goes off you will wake up. There are many threads on here about it, let me get you started.
He wasn't taping his mouth before he was diagnosed. He wasn't connected to a mask and hose that will let him rebreathe his exhaled air before he was diagnosed.

Yes, he'll probably wake up in time to take the mask or tape off before he suffocates, but there's a theoretical risk. You'll probably be fine if you decide not to wear seat belts, but there is a risk.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm

GumbyCT wrote:I will say you won't suffocate. You should think back to how long and how often you stopped breathing before you were dx'd. Most here, myself included, will say that as soon as the power goes off you will wake up. There are many threads on here about it, let me get you started.
archangle wrote:Yes, he'll probably wake up in time to take the mask or tape off before he suffocates, but there's a theoretical risk. You'll probably be fine if you decide not to wear seat belts, but there is a risk.
And so the reason you didn't answer him before is?

;)

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 pm

GumbyCT wrote:And so the reason you didn't answer him before is?
Geez, I posted 22 minutes after he was given the bad advice. How fast do you expect me to be?

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 pm

archangle wrote:
GumbyCT wrote:And so the reason you didn't answer him before is?
Geez, I posted 22 minutes after he was given the bad advice. How fast do you expect me to be?
He posted at 12:56 pm I posted at 5:43pm - you posted 10 times during that period (10 TIMES) so I would say you weren't worried about him but I'm guessing your medicine ran out. Hope you get that worry wart treated. ANT comes to mind again Debbie Downer.

How many times do you think he stopped breathing BEFORE getting treated? AND I did give him the option to search the forum and find other such discussions if he chose not to believe me.

Last edited by GumbyCT on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
;)

mck

Post by mck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 pm

My question still stands - is buying a UPS device a good option in case of a power outage for people who tape their mouth because as you said it has an alarm which hopefully is loud enough to help wake the person up?

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm

mck wrote:My question still stands - is buying a UPS device a good option in case of a power outage for people who tape their mouth because as you said it has an alarm which hopefully is loud enough to help wake the person up?
This is an individual decision for which there is no single answer. Take these factors into consideration.

How often do you experience a power outage? If often then you may want to consider a UPS. If only once a year or so, then power outage frequency probably is not a good justification.

Can you financially afford to buy a UPS without crimping other aspects of your life? If so, and you lean toward being a techie, then get one. If you have to sacrifice clothes for the kids to buy one, then I would say no.

How freakishly frightened are you about having the machine stop while you're sleeping? If much, then get one for peace of mind. If only mildly, then no. I tape my mouth. My previous machine all of a sudden one day started having problems, and stopped without warning. It stopped two or three times while I was sleeping. I'm a heavy sleeper and when it quit I woke up instantly. I say you have nothing to worry about.

Most UPS units, like used for home computers, are going to not have the capacity to run a CPAP for more than a few minutes or one or two hours. There have been several discussions on the board about battery backup. The general conclusion is if you really should have one because power outages are a recurring problem you need to have a healthy sized deep cycle battery. Most UPS units don't have those, although one can be wired into a UPS. There are other options also. There really is no good, wallet friendly, simple solution.

For some CPAP users there is good justification for having a battery backup. I don't think mouth taping, by itself, is one.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 pm

With Severe Thunder Storm Warnings and Tornado watch up I thought I'd update this to say as of this writing and despite all odds this Sears Jump Starter is kickin butt but I also added the B&D jump starter to my collection for extended outages.

The B&D is a backup and/or for outside use so I don't have to disassemble my sleep machine.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I received a telegram from my pal Amos today. He warned me his cousin Irene was coming for a visit and that she likes to break things. Thinking he was talking about trees, limbs, and power lines I added a Peak Jump Start 300 to my collection.

It is a cheapy I bought off Ebay to find out what kind of battery it came with. I doubt it will power my Bipap, But I can use it for lighting or other things, if needed, without discharging my Sears and/or B&D jump starters.

Thanks for the heads up Amost

EDIT: I also added these 3 LED solar lights from Sunbeam to use in place of candles.
http://sunbeamlights.getcheapestonline. ... th-3-leds/

They are designed to stay ON all nite but also have an On/Off switch. I had a chance to try them during a recent power outage. I think they last longer than flash lights.

EDIT2: These solar lights use a rechargeable AA battery. So for long term you could replace it with another AA batt. I like the Energizers but also have some other rechargeable AA's too.

I paid $7.50 for a pkg of 2. I use 4 outside and will have the 2 I bought for spares ready for Irene.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 pm

Post Irene UPDATE:
If you have been following this I can say I was not disappointed as I did more sleeping than usual and I NEVER sleep w/o my machine pumping me up. I just can't multi-task.

This was the first real test of these jump starters for me and despite what all the naysayers said I can say they all held up very well. Of course that means you can't just go out and buy these or any battery the nite before using it and expect it to perform. The batteries in these things MUST be charged before use and in many cases could require more than 24hrs of charging. Despite what the naysayers have said I think they are best left plugged in and charging, period.

If you will be using it for any power outage how would you know when to get it ready? If you haven't read from the beginning I have been sleeping with my Sears unit plugged into the charger with good results thus far. Using the BiPap off the DC cable.

I am happy I recently paid $50 for a battery to repair the B&D unit which a friend gave me some time ago. This gave me a redundant backup which I didn't think of before. I didn't need it but certainly gave a measure of comfort knowing IF I couldn't charge the Sears 1150 then I had some cushion.

I was sleeping with the Sears unit when the power went out and didn't wakeup until "she" came in to ask if it was me beeping, it was the UPS units in the basement. I figured it would be a long term outage so I got up, shut down all the computer equipment then the UPS units so they would stop beeping. Then went back to sleep

Regarding the recently added Peak Jump Start 300 it came in real handy for things like a radio, police scanner, charging cell phones, etc. It is much lighter and easier to move than either of the other two jump starters. Just remember to also buy a multi-outlet adapter and one for USB. Luckily I had these but they were out in the car and didn't need them until AFTER the winds & rain settled down.

The radio, an Eton FR-400, was the only means we had of getting outside news about the storm progress, etc. I bought this a couple years ago and use it several times each week, esp. on Sat. It has a rechargeable battery with a crank to charge or use 3 AA batteries. I have kept it plugged into the wall charger for the last 2yrs. It lasted the 2 days easy and I could charge it with a Variable voltage DC plug I have since it only want 4.5VDC. So add that to the list.

The LED Solar lites were also used very much. I had recently bought 3 of the single LED lites used to mark the border of a sidewalk. While these don't put out a lot of light, when it is dark they do help. They needed something to hold them upright since they are designed to go in the ground, so I raid the recycle bin to use a couple of bottles which kept the lites upright. I used these mainly like a nite light. They come with 1 rechargeable AAA battery. So either keep some spares or a way to charge them IF the sun doesn't come out. These also MUST be charged and tested BEFOREhand.

The 3 LED Solar lights use 1 AA rechargeable battery so all the same things apply. These supply a bit more light and have an On/Off switch which the other LED lite does not. All together I have 6 of these and 3 of the others. I gave a couple to the neighbor to use during the last power outage so she asked if she could borrow them again. No Problem.

I spent some time yesterday afternoon (when the sun was brite and I wasn't sure when the power would ever come back on) out at the car charging up things that needed charging. The Sears unit gave what I consider 2 days of use. It read 80% when I charged it. I used it from 6AM thru the day then again all nite then again most of the next day BEFORE going outside in the afternoon. I kept hoping the power would come back on so I could just plug back in.

So if you are not handy with things like this then make sure you have more than one unit to use. Keep in mind that any battery doesn't want to be run down completely BEFORE getting a charge or it will shorten it's life. Which is why I liked having my B&D unit on hand. Most towns have announced places to go for recharging electronics today. But again, another reason to have a redundant backup.

So IF you are preparing for a power outage or a camping trip the key is planning and preparing ahead of time.

In Summary, Make a LIST. Not only will your CPAP need power but other things such as radios, cell phones, or flashlights. I have a number of LED Flashlights that come with cigarette plugs to charge them. I use these on a daily basis just usually keep them charged from the AC adapter that is also provided.

Whether you are building your own battery box or buying one you will need some of the adapters. Don't forget the DC power cable for your CPAP, USB, and multi-outlet adapters. Pick up a meter or something to check your batteries for troubleshooting and checking the status of rechargeable batteries. I used both starting with the checker to do a quick check then a meter to make sure they still are re-usable. Then think about how you will recharge them if the need arises.

Plan your work - work your plan.

HTH someone make a decision on what options are available for DC power and the accessories that will be needed.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm

UPDATE

So couple nites ago I went to bed as usual, start breathing to turn my machine on - it comes on then just after I dozed off my cheeks start getting sucked together. I remember trying to turn the machine on by breathing again but no luck. Got out of bed to press the ON button still nothing. I figured the fuse must have blown.

This is when I am thankful to have a 2nd homeade Radio Shack DC cord in my travel bag. So I grabbed that, went back to sleep and dealt with the problem cord in the morning.

Turns out the Respironics special DC cable has a 3A 250V slo blo fuse in it and yes it blew. Then I remembered about 3 days earlier I turned my humidifier up from 0 to 1 and it does work on DC.

So it worked fine for the 3 days then right when you need it, poof.

I went to the auto parts store and bought some spare 5A fuses to keep on hand and add to my list of things to go with my battery setup.

Reminder: If you have a DC cable keep some spare 5A fuses on hand too. Just glad this didn't happen during Irene too.

So to the naysayers that Radio Shack DC cable was a life saver for me. I almost had to go back on the grid

;)

FizzyWater

Post by FizzyWater » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I bought the cpap.com battery kit, and they recommend the 7V fuse when running the humidifier.

Began CPAP therapy 3/22/2011.

Some days, I guess there just aren't enough rocks -- Forrest Gump

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:50 pm

GumbyCT wrote: This is when I am thankful to have a 2nd homeade Radio Shack DC cord in my travel bag.
Is there a fuse in the homemade Radio Shack cord?

Useful Links.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:58 pm

archangle wrote:Is there a fuse in the homemade Radio Shack cord?
Are you trying to ne annoying again bless your heart.
Blown Fuse UPDATE
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53672&p=637598#p637598

Does any of that look familiar to you? Bless your heart

;)

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:21 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
archangle wrote:Is there a fuse in the homemade Radio Shack cord?
Are you trying to ne annoying again bless your heart.
Blown Fuse UPDATE
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53672&p=637598#p637598

Does any of that look familiar to you? Bless your heart
Unlike your infatuation with me, I'm not sufficiently interested in you to have all your posts memorized. I'm flattered that you apparently have all my posts memorized.

I'm glad that you have a fuse in your homebrew adapter. It's very important to have a fuse somewhere in any system where you hook to a 12V battery.

Useful Links.