Another Battery Option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Re: Another Battery Option

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Do I need to go back to where you posted in my threads and read those back to you too? Bless your heart. PI

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

donaldm823

Post by donaldm823 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 pm

My Resmed Elite S9 needs a 17AH battery to power the S9 for 8 hrs (with 50% safety factor) w/o the humidifier or Climateline hose at a pressure setting of 20 per ResMed
http://www.resmed.com/us/patients_and_f ... c=patients

I bought the ResMed DC converter for S9 (is a lighter adapter for the DC end) power cord from cpap.com and I had the Black & Decker gel cell Electromate 400 unit from Amazon. The Black & Decker is a 17AH unit and is very compact with a AC charger and a DC charger built-in, and provides 12V DC out (lighter socket) as well as AC 120v out built-in inverter, plus a light, plus a small air compressor. It also serves as a jump start for a auto. Unit is only 12in x 3 in x 3in high and weighs approx 15lb
I use the DC power straight to the Resmed DC converter since the Black & Decker inverter uses more power than straight DC.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Donald I am glad to hear that someone with a Resmed has had success with a jump start battery. You are the first I have heard from with enuff moxie to even try it. Good Deal eh.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:45 pm

I got this via emale... I don't have this 1 yet
$149.95
Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio $149.95
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TKHMWK/ref ... pe_vfe_dt1

$149.95 ------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Product Features

DPP-600HD is Hazmat and is non-returnable
Contains one DC outlet which can be used to both power devices and recharge the HD600 unit and also Contains three three-pronged AC outlets (480-watt continuous / 600-watt peak) to power multiple devices, appliances and tools
Built-in 600-watt power inverter, 5-watt flashlight, overload/over-temperature protection and reverse polarity detection
Sealed, non-spillable 28 amp hour AGM battery and detachable alligator clamps for jump-starting cars (up to 8-cylinder); non-returnable; refer to users' manual for charging instructions
Built-in AM/FM radio and digital alarm clock.

$149.95 ------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind you can get the B&D for $100 regular price. But the Duracell has a larger capacity battery and is prob that much heavier too.

Also worth noting the Duracell only has 1 DC plug but you can buy a multi-outlet adapter too. The B&D and the Sears both have 2 DC and 2 AC outlets.

The Sears also has a USB receptacle but if you need you can also buy a USB adapter to fit the cigarette plug outlet. Just make sure you have somewhere to plug it into. I don't think the Duracell has a USB; I know the B&D doesn't.

;)

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:36 pm

donaldm823 wrote:My Resmed Elite S9 needs a 17AH battery to power the S9 for 8 hrs (with 50% safety factor) w/o the humidifier or Climateline hose at a pressure setting of 20 per ResMed
http://www.resmed.com/us/patients_and_f ... c=patients

I bought the ResMed DC converter for S9 (is a lighter adapter for the DC end) power cord from cpap.com and I had the Black & Decker gel cell Electromate 400 unit from Amazon. The Black & Decker is a 17AH unit and is very compact with a AC charger and a DC charger built-in, and provides 12V DC out (lighter socket) as well as AC 120v out built-in inverter, plus a light, plus a small air compressor. It also serves as a jump start for a auto. Unit is only 12in x 3 in x 3in high and weighs approx 15lb
I use the DC power straight to the Resmed DC converter since the Black & Decker inverter uses more power than straight DC.
Have you tried it out yet?

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Halloween Snow Storm Alfred UPDATE:
Cont'd from here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70307&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 15#p651138

I wanted to mention the Sears 1150 I have been using went from Sun Oct 30 til Tue Nov 1, 2011.
Keep in mind I used it more during the day Sun. as there wasn't much else to do plus we originally thought they turned our power off so they could connect others and we wouldn't be OFF very long.

So say 2.5-3 days use on the Sears. It was still working fine Tue. morning but not knowing how much longer the power would be OFF and having another jump starter (B&D) I figured I could use the B&D while the Sears unit charged. (B&D=Black & Decker Electromate 300 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64943&start=15#p615544 )

So the Sears unit charged from Tue afternoon until Wed afternoon or about 24 hrs and was only at 90% charge when I brought it back home (power was ON). I had it at the local school which was being used as a shelter.

So I prob should have swapped it out sooner but I think the moral here is that it pays to have 2 units so you CAN swap off during an extended power outage. Instead of one BIG unit you can't move without taking it apart.

In July, when I bought the battery for the B&D I wondered if I was doing the right thing and never ever thought I would use these jump starters twice in less than 60 days since I have never had to do so before.

I am also thankful to have a 3rd but smaller jump starter (Peak 300) to power other things like my emergency (windup) radio, scanner, rechargeable flashlights, cell phone, etc. so I can dedicate the Sears AND B&D to my very important sleep.

Remember to get adapter plugs to fit all of the things that will need to be charged or powered.
Remember to get multi-outlet adapters so you can connect more than one thing.
Remember to get adapters so you can re-charge right from a car. That IS how I re-charged during/after Hurricane Irene.

Having a meter is helpful if you know how to use one but this would not be the time to learn.
I did have another little gismo that was helpful in determining the charged state of a battery. If/when I can find a link or pic I will post it here. radio shack p/n 22-1635a
IF you have one of these of have seen one it is time to keep it with your jump starter or battery setup.
I don't think they are available at the shack any longer, maybe a tag sale or flea market.

During this outage I met many people who have used a cpap for years yet had no clue that a cpap could be powered by a battery. So they were going withOUT. Each time I offered to help them figure out how to get their machines going on battery. Not one person took me up on it. Go Figure.

From CT where they serve commercial electric power in spurts.

ps. Remember that a cpap can be damaged by some generators or by incorrectly connecting to a DC battery.

pps. Remember all those Naysayers who said I couldn't power a cpap with a Car Jump Start battery?

Salute, My Friends

Last edited by GumbyCT on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
;)

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:13 pm

One thing to consider when choosing a jump start battery is whether it seems to have charging circuitry such that it will go into a float/maintenance mode after the battery is charged. This has a lot to do with how much life you are going to get out of the battery, if you leave it plugged in to the mains all the time.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm

moresleep wrote:One thing to consider when choosing a jump start battery is whether it seems to have charging circuitry such that it will go into a float/maintenance mode after the battery is charged. This has a lot to do with how much life you are going to get out of the battery, if you leave it plugged in to the mains all the time.
Can you explain to the reader how to do that?

;)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:24 am

GumbyCT wrote:
moresleep wrote:One thing to consider when choosing a jump start battery is whether it seems to have charging circuitry such that it will go into a float/maintenance mode after the battery is charged. This has a lot to do with how much life you are going to get out of the battery, if you leave it plugged in to the mains all the time.
With jump starters you don't have much choice, it's sometimes built in, if not you are in charge of charging. For charging bigger batteries like Deep Cycle batteries, you can use more than one type of charger, a normal or fast charger, (which will cook a battery to death) or a slow charger safer but still needs to be removed when fully charged. then there's a charger with a float / maintenance mode, it can be left on to keep your battery topped up. It's made for unattended charging like boats and classic cars ect. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 am

GumbyCT wrote:
Unfortunately, "seems" is the operative word, here: (1) Some manufacturers don't mention that detail in any meaningful way at all; and (2) I tend to doubt those that do. Having been buying these jump start battery packs for some years, I've come to the conclusion that the only "proof of the pudding" for them "is in the eating." Either you choose one without research (other than looking over the specs), plug it in, and see how it does over time, or, preferably, you read a lot of user reviews from other people to find one that seems to wear well and grab that one--and hope the "manufacturer" has not recently switched from one Chinese factory to another. It's a good sign if you can find commercial garage owners speaking well of a model. You can also go for a brand that seems to feature some effort at continuity in quality. Having had a bad experience with a jump starter that I bought a year or so ago, recently I purchased a Jump N Carry JCN660, after finding reviews from professional users who seemed to like it. I found it particularly encouraging that users were saying that the current version, unlike the previous version, which they also liked, had circuitry allowing you to leave it plugged in all the time without charging it to death. We'll see... A nice touch was that it came with a coupon allowing me to get it repaired for a fixed sum (about half of the purchase price) at any time after the one-year warranty expires.

I’ll use the JNC660 mainly for my car and portable Cpap use, and to fill in if I experience problems with my main battery system. While I have used jump starters successfully in the past as a “UPS” for nightly Cpap use, at present I use a separate 79AH AGM battery for that purpose, cinched in a #24 battery box. It’s charged by a Battery Tender Plus, which supplies most of the current needed to run the Cpap (I have the legacy “tank” version of the ASV, with DC-DC converter), charges up the battery, and steps down to a reliable “float” mode conducive to long battery life.

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:52 am

Thank you GumbyCT, because you'd posted this simple backup solution several months ago I'd decided to pick up a DieHard 1150 jump start for myself. The Halloween storm gave it a good test.

Back when I bought it I charged it and placed it in the corner, gathering dust except once a month I'd top off the charge, "just in case."

Then in the storm this Saturday the power went out. I pulled the 1150 over to my bed that first night, dusted it off, and gave it a try.

But I hadn't purchased a DC cord, so I was drawing more power through the DC-AC-DC loss by using the regular plug. At my pressure (and humidifier off and empty -- really didn't want moist air in the cold cold bedroom) I had no trouble at all making it through a nice long night the first night (and then using the unit to power very small-load items for short periods), and like you bringing it to a place where it could be charged during waking hours (easy to carry back and forth). But by the 4th night of doing this the battery was not bouncing back enough, and I was getting only about five hours of sleep before it would die.

After the 5th night of no power (wow -- never had an extended period like that before!) our electric came back on, so I'm giving the charger the chance to bring the battery back to full charge (or whatever the new "full" might be).

I don't know how I would have made it through without the battery. So, thank you for getting me motivated with your advice many months ago! This is a great low-fuss solution to keep on CPAP during an outage, and would have been even better if I'd gone to the trouble of getting the DC cord to use (I might do that now).

-- SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 am

If you use one of these jump start batteries that has an AC outlet, can you just plug the regular AC cord into that or is it still preferable to get the DC inverter and plug into that?

(using Resmed S9)

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:57 am

moresleep wrote:GumbyCT wrote:

moresleep wrote: I found it particularly encouraging that users were saying that the current version, unlike the previous version, which they also liked, had circuitry allowing you to leave it plugged in all the time without charging it to death.
Would you think the one I have been using in this fashion since June meets or exceeds that requirement?

I tend to think that "most" have under powered chargers which allow it to stay plugged in "until needed". After all, how can you tell when the power will go out? I can't which is why I keep my plugged in AND connected to my BiPap.

What attraced me to the Sears 1150 was the fact that it mentioned it had a "User Replaceable" battery, the battery size, and the many features it has. I simply waited for the sale price.

I don't remember seeing the Duracell ("seems" to be a good choice too) during my quest. The B&D didn't have as many features but "seems" to meet the requirements.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm

RandyJ wrote:If you use one of these jump start batteries that has an AC outlet, can you just plug the regular AC cord into that or is it still preferable to get the DC inverter and plug into that?

(using Resmed S9)
The preferred method would be to connect directly to DC. But because none of your re$med friends here have figured out how to make a DC cable to fit a re$med $9 YOU will have to spend one hundred U$ dollar$ (I think it is) for the DC to DC re$med cable. Keep in mind your car power outlet is 12 volts but re$med$ want 24 volts. So they (re$med) can $ell you a 12 to 24V DC-DC converter. Randy - that is why no one answered your question earlier.

OR - you can buy one of these jump starters then spend that $100 on a marine battery. Connect the jumper cables to the battery AFTER Fully charging said battery for maybe 3-4 days with the battery tender of your choice.

Connecting the jumper cables positive to positive and negative to negative will increase the load capacity and depending on the size of the battery you connect will add more days and even several more IF using DC.

The point is you can make a great modular system this way and make it easier to move it. I would only use the battery tender when the 2nd battery is NOT connected to the jump starter.

NOTE1: I think on the older S8 re$med$ you can make a DC cable work. I know did, by Just reversed the polarity.
NOTE2: re$med$ are also particular about whether this type of AC power will work or not. Since I don't have an $9 I will leave that to another guy who doesn't have one either but likes to make people think he knows what he is talking about.

Last edited by GumbyCT on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
;)

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:08 pm

RandyJ wrote:If you use one of these jump start batteries that has an AC outlet, can you just plug the regular AC cord into that or is it still preferable to get the DC inverter and plug into that?

(using Resmed S9)
The big concern is if the AC power is "Modified Sine Wave" or MSW. Most AC jumper systems like this are MSW.

In theory, you're OK on an S9 machine. Resmed says S9 machines and humidifiers are OK with MSW. They say MSW will damage an S8 humidifier, but the S8 CPAP machine itself will be OK if you remove the humidifier.

i.e. "Yes, your S9 machine and humidifier should run fine off the Sears 1150 on AC."

If you can run off of DC, it will probably last longer on one charge than if you use AC.

Last edited by archangle on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.