Do you tape your mouth or use a chin strap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

If you use a nasal only type mask/pillow/etc do you tape or use a chin strap?

I tape my mouth shut only
23%
I use a chin strap only
28%
I use both
17%
I use something else to seal my mouth
3%
I require nothing to prevent mouth leaks
14%
I do not use a nasal only type mask
13%
Other
2%

Total votes: 120

DougVK

Re: Do you tape your mouth or use a chin strap?

Post by DougVK » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Wow poll results are shocking, I would have thought most wouldn't need anything to stop mouth leaks.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 am

Checklist for taping, based on :

Effect of mouth leak on effectiveness of nasal bilevel ventilatory assistance and sleep architecture
H. Teschler*, J. Stampa*, R. Ragette*, N. Konietzko*, M. Berthon-Jones**
Eur Respir J 1999; 14: 1251±1257

The authors, some of whom are highly respected medical professional are still involved in ResMed's autoset alrgorithm developement. They would not recommend inidiscriminate use of tape. However, these medical professionald did follow 30 carefully selected patients for 6 months while they taped, and ran into no adverese events.

Here is a checklist I created based on the authors' criteria for letting people elect to tape. Please run through it when you face the issue of taping:
  • chose carefully
  • unable to be satisfactorily treated due to mouth leak
  • unable to tolerate a full face mask - (when I decided to tape, I couldn't even tolerat a nasal mask)
  • highly alert
  • with no history of regurgitation -
  • faced with the alternatives of tracheotomy or untreated respiratory insufficiency [this includes OSA] -
After 4.5 years or taping I had to stop because of congestion. I could attempt to use a FFM and now use the Hybrid.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:56 am

Bright Choice wrote:Nope, not carpet tape. It is a surgical tape used on wounds. It's really pretty neat - it holds securely but comes off really easily - absolutely no skin problems. I am currently not needing to use it but I really liked it when I did. I bought a whole box of it and am not using it so if anyone wants to try a roll, pm me and we can strike up a cool deal.
That tape might be better than what I'm using. The micropore tape has tiny little holes in it and sometimes I wake up blowing right through the holes.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 am

OutaSync wrote:
Bright Choice wrote:Nope, not carpet tape. It is a surgical tape used on wounds. It's really pretty neat - it holds securely but comes off really easily - absolutely no skin problems. I am currently not needing to use it but I really liked it when I did. I bought a whole box of it and am not using it so if anyone wants to try a roll, pm me and we can strike up a cool deal.
That tape might be better than what I'm using. The micropore tape has tiny little holes in it and sometimes I wake up blowing right through the holes.
The microfoam tape is quite dense - one wouldn't be able to blow a hole through it.

beckah

Post by beckah » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I voted "I do not use a nasal only type mask".

I have three nasal masks but found that even taping and a chinstrap could not keep my mouth shut. I would end up motorboating and wake myself up. The PapCap did help a lot but it squished my face up and was uncomfortable after a few nights. Even after I put a cuff in it, it ended up halfway covering my eyes.

I moved to a full face mask and find it much easier to deal with and keep a good seal. I sure wish I could use a nasal mask without adding tape/chinstrap but it's not going to happen.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Question for Chin Strap people.

If you wanted to could you breath through your mouth with a strap on?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 pm

DougVK wrote:Question for Chin Strap people.

If you wanted to could you breath through your mouth with a strap on?
Yes, you can open your lips. Also, most chin straps are elastic enough that you can fully open your mouth if you want to. It mostly keeps your jaw from drooping easily due to gravity or with light effort.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:45 am

I tape my mouth with a Swift LT but I also have to do it with my Quattro too. I dont know why that is but it is just not effective if I am breating through my mouth. It is a pty because I wanted the Quattro to avoid taping. My problems is that I seem to be allergic to the micropore type tape around ny mouth. With both 3M and Leucopore I end up with a rash at the corners of my mouth. I dont think it is leaking around my taping. I am allergic to a lot of modern dressings. I will try the microfoam. Is it slim enough to sit under the cushion of a nasal mask?

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:09 am

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 am

Tape no worky with hairy face !
only place hair will grow besides ears & nose

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Jane1966

Post by Jane1966 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

If you have to "tape" your mouth shut to use the mask or use a chin strap how awful. It seems like you should be using a full face mask like I do. I have a relative who uses a nose only mask and has no problems that require a chin strap or tape--he is not a mouth breather. If your mouth falls open to the extent you are having air leakage, you need a full face mask in my opinion, or at least just use a chin strap so you won't hurt yourself with tape. It just seems like common sense. Using tape does seem needlessly dangerous when you have other options.

RN1959

Post by RN1959 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm

I used tape last night for the first time....I cough now and then in the night, so that presented a problem of sorts, but I woke up enough to take it off a little to get the cough out.....hence, I am alive today with no serious effects. I'll do it again tonight ! It was a good suggestion for me from this site.

RN

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 pm

RN1959 wrote:I cough now and then in the night, so that presented a problem of sorts, but I woke up enough to take it off a little to get the cough out.....hence, I am alive today with no serious effects. I'll do it again tonight ! It was a good suggestion for me from this site.
You can't cough with your mouth shut? Try it...I bet you can!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Jane1966 wrote:If you have to "tape" your mouth shut to use the mask or use a chin strap how awful. It seems like you should be using a full face mask like I do. I have a relative who uses a nose only mask and has no problems that require a chin strap or tape--he is not a mouth breather. If your mouth falls open to the extent you are having air leakage, you need a full face mask in my opinion, or at least just use a chin strap so you won't hurt yourself with tape. It just seems like common sense. Using tape does seem needlessly dangerous when you have other options.
The "other options" simply do not work effectively for me. Different brands and types of Full Face masks, chin straps.... been there, done that, tried many of each. Over and over.

Tape over my mouth allows me to use the particular nasal pillows mask that works best to allow me to actually sleep while using CPAP.

Taping the mouth is not for everyone. Works extremely well for me. I've not found it to be dangerous at all for me in the seven years I've been putting tape over my mouth when using CPAP. Not "awful" at all.... for me.

LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Receiving effective treatment is so important -- it seems almost to end up -- do whatever you need to do to get your treatment! I have used a chin strap, papcap and tape, and am happy that a full face mask worked for me (F&P 431). I have to admit that I was a little uncomfortable with the tape, because I have had reflux in the past and it was a concern to me. I have used the FFM for well over a year -- but have been wondering if I could go back to the pillows without taping my mouth. May just have to try it again.