Do you tape your mouth or use a chin strap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

If you use a nasal only type mask/pillow/etc do you tape or use a chin strap?

I tape my mouth shut only
23%
I use a chin strap only
28%
I use both
17%
I use something else to seal my mouth
3%
I require nothing to prevent mouth leaks
14%
I do not use a nasal only type mask
13%
Other
2%

Total votes: 120

agadoresmama

Re: Do you tape your mouth or use a chin strap?

Post by agadoresmama » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm

here's a question....I have a Swift Lt for Her ....LOVE IT! Also use the chin strap....but do I put the chin strap on FIRST or the Swift LT? Have tried it both ways......seems to be a wee bit less confusing when I put the chinstrap on first......all the velcro gets intertwined...........lol

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14 pm

I put on the chin strap, then put the Swift FX Nasal mask pillows on top of the chin strap. That's just me.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 pm

I've had some luck with a chin strap plus a "mouth strap." 3 inch non-sticky ace bandage, 1 turn wrapped horizontally across the lips, around the back of my head. Cuts down on lip farts. You can't drink through it, but it's easily removed, and you can breathe through it if necessary. It also helps tell you if you're still leaking air because it will get damp if you're blowing humidified air through it.

I'm trying to train myself not to mouth breathe, with only a little success so far. I sleep in a recliner with a neck pillow, but I find I don't mouth breath nearly as much without the pillow. However, I do wake up with a sore neck.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

agadoresmama

Post by agadoresmama » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:24 am

Seems the only time I mouth breathe is when I lay on my back...then I wake up with a potato chip for a tongue and cottonmouth......but as long as I lay on my side....no chin drop......but I wear the chinstrap cause I'd rather sleep all night than wake up to tater chip tongue at 0darkthirty....lol

CrystalLady

Post by CrystalLady » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:10 am

I use paper medical tape and run the tap vertically from just below my nose to my chin, instead of horizontally. That way, it is easy to take off and does not cover the full lip/mouth area. Works great with my Swift fx nasal pillows.

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:19 am

I just started using a chinstrap after taping convinced me I was mouth leaking. The first night I put the chinstrap on before the mask and it worked pretty well (leak = 0.0). The second night I read the instructions, which said mask first, but that didn't work for me. I woke in the middle of the night on my side with everything pushed off to the side and a gale escaping the side of my nose. I got up and swapped them back to chinstrap first and the rest of the night was good. So, I'll be using chinstrap first too.

ChrisT

Post by ChrisT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am

I tried tape. I coughed and saw stars. My BP must have gone sky high. Two of the standard chinstraps did not work for me. I tried them before the duct tape. Now I have an ultimate chin strap by Russell MacMillin in a size petite. I found I did have to modify the fit slightly so the under the chin part was 1/2 the original size. It really does fit well and does work to stop leaks. The ultimate chin strap does keep your mouth closed and jaw up but if you have to cough you can. With allergies this is an important detail for me. I called and talked to Russell before I purchased one as I wanted to make sure of the size to order and that I would be able to cough if I needed to cough. He was very helpful and his staff is quick to help as well.
Again I would emphasize that we are all different in facial structure, jaw thrust etc. What works for one may not work for all. Those standard chin straps may be all some people need.
ChrisT

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

ChrisT wrote: I tried them before the duct tape.
Hmmmm...I think I see why you "saw stars".

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 pm

When I first got my cpap a half dozen years ago I recall having a hard time with air escaping from my mouth. It seems like it took two nights or so for my body to adjust and my throat to learn to block off the escaping air. It took a lot longer to learn how to talk when replying to a question with the cpap on but that is even second nature now. I would never tape my mouth. I wanted a full face mask at first but was talked into a nose mask and now am much happier with nasal pillows. Give yourself a week or so to get used to the cpap before you start taping orifices closed.

welki

Post by welki » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I was a reluctant convert to the Poligrip Strip Club, but after two nights of using the stuff, I think I'm ready to say goodbye to the soreness and aches associated with my chin strap and the leaks that the chinstrap were unable to control. I will pay my dues and become a full fledged member. I've never even been to a Strip Club and now, amazingly, I'm a member of one!

I did buy tape and some super-duper elastic and was ready to try those if the Poligrip strips failed, but the Poligrip looks like a go!

For those who might be frightened to try them, I can tell you I was, too. Scared the bejeezus out of me - claustrophobia, suffocation, aspiration, inability to whisper sweet nothings into my honey's ear or tell the dog to get off the bed - you name it, I found a reason to resist.

But I really need some uninterrupted, solid, restorative sleep. I've been on CPAP since April and the chin strap and leaks were driving me bonkers.

So about the Poligrip Strips. Caution reigns around here and I can tell you that I leave enough of an opening in the center of my mouth so, if I have to, or feel the need to make sure I can, I am able to get air in and out of my mouth. The strips, like others said, are not superglue, and I've sneezed and coughed through them. My leaks look like tiny little snores in my data - I can live with that.

The strips are more like a firm reminder to keep my yap shut ... I'm waiting for my husband to suggest I wear them all day

... once you get past all the superficial garbage, the rest is gravy

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:33 am

DougVK wrote:Question for Chin Strap people.

If you wanted to could you breath through your mouth with a strap on?
I know I could. But its not breathing through my mouth that is the reason I have to wear a chin strap me as I start to fall asleep my jaws will relax then snap shut. And I always end up biting my cheeks or tongue.. This didn't even start till the last 3 years or so. My first 4-5 years on CPAP I used once just cause they gave me the chin strap. Then I went for like 10 years not needing one at all.

If mouth breathing was a problem the chin strap wouldn't be much help. As I can talk and everything with it on. But I can NEVER tape so I guess I am lucky as even the lightest paper tape they use when you get blood tests breaks me out if it so much as touches my skin. I'ts pure hell anytime i have to go to the hospital cause the EKG pads. IV's all of it just kills my skin. I have scars left over where they had me wear a wound vac a few years back to get a surgery wound to seal/heal. Even with costly *Protective films*.

As for suffocating.. Pft many people will tell you once they are decently adjusted to their CPAP the MOMENT the power goes out they wake up. Not to even mention masks are DELIBERATLY made so this cannot happen. Vents have reasons

As for aspiration. I would tend to think you'd be in just as much danger with tape as a chin strap or pantyhose/dental devices or anything else people tend to use. since the tapes cannot be to strong to start with if you wanna get it off each day.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 am

Shellie_p wrote: As for suffocating.. Pft many people will tell you once they are decently adjusted to their CPAP the MOMENT the power goes out they wake up. Not to even mention masks are DELIBERATLY made so this cannot happen. Vents have reasons

As for aspiration. I would tend to think you'd be in just as much danger with tape as a chin strap or pantyhose/dental devices or anything else people tend to use. since the tapes cannot be to strong to start with if you wanna get it off each day.
Yes, most people will wake up immediately when the CPAP power goes off. One or two people here have reported they've had outages and haven't woken up immediately. Will you wake up if you're in REM sleep or whatever other sleep stages there are? What about people on various legal or illegal medications? Drunk? Suffering from various medical conditions? Really tired that night?

The exhaust vent on a nasal mask is intended to work when the mask is pressurized. The exhaust vent on a nasal mask doesn't vent much air if there isn't pressure inside the mask. If the power goes off or the machine fails, there won't be any pressure inside the mask because you blow air through the hose and the stopped machine.

Try disconnecting the hose from the machine and leaving it attached to your nasal mask. Or unplug the machine. Keep your mouth closed and breathe through the mask. You will pretty quickly realize you're rebreathing your own CO2. You may not get a low enough O2 level to pass out, but you'll definitely be uncomfortable.

As for not being able to open the mouth with a chinstrap, I've always been able to open my mouth enough to eat or drink fairly easily against a chinstrap, and I could certainly open my lips if necessary. I've only tried a few chinstraps, but they've all been pretty easy to rip off in an emergency, especially if I'm simply trying to get pull it off and not worrying about the fasteners.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

alabuck

Post by alabuck » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:23 pm

I've tried just about every style of mask there is; from complete face masks (covers the forehead, cheeks, nose, mouth, and chin), to full-face masks, to smaller full-face masks, to nasal masks, to nasal pillows and nasal cushions. Until I tried the nasal masks and nasal pillows and cushions, I didn't need a chin strap. However, now, that I've settled on nasal pillows (mainly Swift Fx Bella), I need a chin strap to keep my mouth shut. Otherwise, my mouth opens and I wake up with air blowing out of my mouth. It's a very weird sensation.

I tried tape once. But, my facial skin is allergic to some types of adhesive tapes, so I just went with a chin strap.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 pm

My concern is what if a person sneezes and blows out their eardrums or vomits and chokes to death because their mouth is taped closed.
I have not ever used tape or even a chin strap but know from the past that when I got stuffed up and could not breathe, in my sleep the first 1x or 2x, I was aware that I was undoing my straps on the left side of my mask, (just the lower one not the headband one at the top) and slipping my mask off. I was aware enough intellectually to think of laying it down on top of my chest in case I woke up again and was no longer stuffy.
Of course i never did wake up again until the next morning but when in ones sleep, I am pretty impressed that I could formulate enough sense to take off the mask and place it there with every intention of putting it on again. But i think it might be too much to ask for me to rationalize in my sleep IF i will wake up again or not before morning

Anyhow, after doing that 2x, i no longer even remembered taking it off but was doing the exact same thing every time as the first 2x, which i would discover when I woke up.
From my experience, that would suggest to me that we have enough common sense even when asleep not to allow ourselves to die over something as silly as self suffocating to death

I believe our body wills us to live better than some may give credit for
BUT THIS IS ONLY MY BELIEF AND AS A NEWBIE DO NOT TAKE WHAT I AM SAYING AS A SUGGESTION TO TAPE YOUR MOUTH.

So with all the fear people have about tape, I am not quite sure why chin straps wouldn't elicit the same fear but as i have not seen or used one I am only guessing as to what they might be like once on our heads.

I have also had my machine stop on me 2x over a 2 night period that I can be sure of and both times I just woke up and took my mask off. But I am also told that as a FF user, I have a sort of escape hatch for breathing that other masks don't have........

So maybe a chin strap is the better choice?
Why i am not sure but someone will no doubt answer that........

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 pm

The whole concept of mouth taping scares the bejesus out of me. When I switched from a FFM to a nasal pillow I bought a chin strap but have yet to use it - way too hot. I get the occasional lip flutter but love being able to cough, sneeze, take a few breaths etc during the night. No idea why I don't mouth breathe though, except the air flow seems more than OK through my nose alone.