resmed mirage fx

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newname

resmed mirage fx

Post by newname » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am

How's everyone liking this new mask? I'm due for a new mask next month and I'm strongly considering this one. I currently use the Activa LT which I've found to be the most comfortable mask so far. However the new mirage fx seems like there would be less on my face, making it more comfortable. I wear a medium in the Activa Lt. Is the sizing the same on the Fx?

jromano

Re: resmed mirage fx

Post by jromano » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

newname,

Unlike the Activa LT, ResMed's Mirage FX nasal mask is a "one-size-fits-most" design, although 'standard' and 'wide' options are available.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jess
Disclosure: Any views or information expressed are opinions of the poster only and are not medical advice. Please consult with your doctor or healthcare professional with any questions regarding your health.

newname

Post by newname » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks, Jess.
I'll give it a try.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am

I ordered the Mirage FX for Her several weeks ago, from my DME. Five days later, I received a Quattro FX. I called her up and told her I had recieved the wrong mask, that I had orderd a Mirage FX for Her. She said she would send me the right one, "You wanted a Swift FX for Her, right?" No, no, a MIRAGE FX FOR HER. Five days later, I received a Mirage FX, the gray one. I used it anyway for several days, but it hurt my nose so much I had to switch out inthe midle of the night. Too bad, as I loved the small size.

Yesterday I recieved the Mirage FX for Her, and was no longer excited to try it, as I hadn't had much luck with the regular one. I already knew that I would have to put some cloth between my forehead and that weird forehead piece as it gave me a burn the first night.

The cushion on this one is actually the same size as the cushion on the unisex version, it's just the headgear that is smaller (and pink).

Knowing that it would leak along the bottom edges, I decided to wear my chinstrap on top of the headgear to help pull the sides in closer to my face. It did a great jopb of that and I still have grooves in my face to show for it.

But here is the amazing part. I slept the whole night! I usually start on my back and then when my back hurts so much I can't stand it, I roll onto my side until my shoulder hurts so much I can't stand it and back to my back. When I roll to my side, my masks have always sprung a leak and I have to hold it to my face until my hand falls asleep. All of this usually takes a half hour to an hour before I finally fall asleep. Then every time I have to move, I wake up to adjust the mask.

Last night I don't remember rolling over the first time! I shouldn't brag, because the last time I slept through the night, I posted it and it never happened again

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

amos

Post by amos » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 am

The Mirage FX is small; and, in a sense, there is less area to leak. You can lie in bed and watch TV much like the Resmed Micro. I found the frame to be very flimsy and the only way to adjust the mask is with the straps. It does not have the ratchet adjustment as does the Activa or the screw adjustment as does the Activa LT.

I found the Mirage FX worked well while I was on my back but quickly move out of place while on my side.

I am now back to the Activa LT. For me, it is the best nasal mask available.

Hope this helps.

amos

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:52 pm

amos wrote:The Mirage FX is small; and, in a sense, there is less area to leak. You can lie in bed and watch TV much like the Resmed Micro. I found the frame to be very flimsy and the only way to adjust the mask is with the straps. It does not have the ratchet adjustment as does the Activa or the screw adjustment as does the Activa LT.

I found the Mirage FX worked well while I was on my back but quickly move out of place while on my side.

I am now back to the Activa LT. For me, it is the best nasal mask available.

Hope this helps.

amos

I have to say that I agree with Amos. I was able to try the Mirage FX for several days before I left on my trip and was having a hard time to consistenly control the leaks and only by really tightening the straps. So much that it was not comfortable at all. I am back to my Activa LT for now but will give the Mirage FX another shot when I return.

ldemmery

Post by ldemmery » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:54 am

Hi all.. it's been a while. Got my new mask yesterday from my DME... this Mirage FX for her is nice. Used it for the first time last night,impressed. I'm nasally challenged (small nose), usually have to get a petite. This stayed on my face where I put it.

Now the only problem I'm having is the damned cat going after my new hose again...damn...He tried it a number of times last night, thus waking me up... little bugger.

Anyways, just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Lynne
(in Ottawa, ON, Canada)

angelbyte

Post by angelbyte » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am

I tried it and liked it a lot, but I couldn't get it to work without leaks. And the air sound that you get when the mask touches the pillow is louder with this compared to my activa lt. Between the air sound waking me up, the leaking waking my husband up, and me feeling like death the next day, I abandoned this mask after 4 nights. I'm sorry, too, because I liked the size.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:31 pm

I loved the size, but couldn't stop leaks....another one in the box in the closet.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

cadamtay

Post by cadamtay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Trying the mirage FX as a loaner because I was having issues with my last mask. I am new to cpap in the last 3 months and the mask I started with was keeping me awake with air leaks. I have found the mirage FX to be much less cumbersome but I am still experiencing leaks. If I don't stick with the mirage does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting frustrating and making 100% compliance more and more difficult!

Rickd1

Post by Rickd1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:27 pm

I lovede the size just couldnt stop the leaks..

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I have found that putting my chinstrap on top of the mask straps helps a little with the leaks, but leaves strap marks on my face that last all day. I can deal with the marks, I can't sleep with the leaks. I will say that this one leaks less than it's older cousins, the Activa, Activa LT and the SofGel. The forehead piece is terrible and does nothing to push the pressure off of the nose bridge. And I find looping the bottom strap to be very difficult. I much prefer the click into place connectors. In addition, the back straps are way too thick for someone with "princess and the pea" syndrome, like me. Why did they make it twice as thick as prior models?!

Where are you all experiencing your leaks? At the nose bridge or at the bottom corners?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Bottom corners for me. I also tried the chin strap on top but it still leaked.

It's ashame because I liked this masks size and softness (compared to hard plastic)

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

newname

Post by newname » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Doesn't sound like this mask is very good for me. So far the Activa LT has been the most comfortable so I guess I'll stick with it. I used to like the CL 2, but that big thing on my head all night might cause hair loss and my hair is already very sparse on top. It was nice to have nothing across my cheeks, but I can't afford to lose any more hair. I liked the Simple Seal that covered just the tip of my nose. I can't seem to use nasal pillows. They don't feel secure in my nose.

Bright Choice

Re: resmed mirage fx - good for ASV?

Post by Bright Choice » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Thought I'd bump this up because I am looking for more input on this mask. The reviews on cpap.com are so good and the reviews on this thread are not that thrilling. I am thinking of trying it with S9 adapt asv. General comments on the mask would be appreciated, along with comments from any asv'ers.
Thanks.