Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LittleRedTruck

Re: Review of size SMALL - Ultimate Chin Strap

Post by LittleRedTruck » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 am

Im wondering if your face doesn't feel really warm with all that on. It looks like it would work ok though! I think $59.95 plus shipping will leave some folks behind! Dan

howkim

Post by howkim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:07 pm

LittleRedTruck wrote:Im wondering if your face doesn't feel really warm with all that on. It looks like it would work ok though! I think $59.95 plus shipping will leave some folks behind! Dan
I was concerned about just that. Didn't happen.

I am not a mushroom.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:44 pm

The price does make me a bit hesitant. It just doesn't seem like there's $59.95 worth of materials/technology there.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered one. I'll let you know how it works.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 am

Received my Ultimate Chin Strap very quickly. Kudos to Mr. MacMillan.

For any other women out there, it would be wise to send head measurements with your order to be sure you don't waste your time getting a regular size when you need a small.

I think the concept may work if I have the right size, but as it stands now, there's way too much material to allow me to get a tight fit on my face. The straps are too long to allow my jaw to stay closed so I still have leaking through my lips.

Another thing I suggest is they cover the edges with some kind of soft binding. They have stitched the chin strap with a nylon thread that is very rough on your skin. The edges feel uncomfortable when they come in contact with your face and neck.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 am

Skylark, did you order the regular size or the small?

I hope this chinstrap doesn't leave marks on the face...
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 am

SleepingUgly wrote:Skylark, did you order the regular size or the small?

I hope this chinstrap doesn't leave marks on the face...
I ordered the regular

It does leave marks on your face. At least mine did.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

skylark40 wrote:It does leave marks on your face. At least mine did.

My two biggest problems: Hideous marks on face from any effective mouth shutting technique (notwithstanding taping, which I haven't succeeded at recently, but will try again), and aerophagia. Would be nice if I could solve at least one of those issues.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:
skylark40 wrote:It does leave marks on your face. At least mine did.

My two biggest problems: Hideous marks on face from any effective mouth shutting technique (notwithstanding taping, which I haven't succeeded at recently, but will try again), and aerophagia. Would be nice if I could solve at least one of those issues.
I hear ya. I have issues with tape residue. I use a sensitive formula, 2" paper tape, and it leaves goo all over my chin and cheeks. Can't use painter's tape due to the odor. Regular chin strap alone won't keep my mouth shut. Absolutely hate the ffm and want to keep using my Swift LT for Her.

Aerophagia and cpap and farting go hand in hand, I do believe.

Such dilemmas.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, I'm afraid to say anything positive about the strap, lest I jinx myself (I think that's what happened to Jazzer! ) But (cross fingers), I'm having good luck with it so far. It seems to both hold my chin up and keep me from puffing air out of my mouth. As soon as I mentioned to someone that the marks on my face weren't so bad with it, I had a couple of days where they were worse. I think it depends on the position I'm sleeping in toward the end of the night, and of course how tight I have it. Compared to what I was doing to keep my mouth shut (a self-adhering Ace bandage around my mouth), the marks are less. I wonder if they would be even better if he didn't have fabric with a pattern woven into it. Then again, maybe it wouldn't help, I don't know.

I would not recommend to anyone that they buy any size without sending Russ their measurements. The Small is quite small in the mouth-covering area, and I can see it being too small for many people (it barely fits me, but fits well, if that makes sense). And some complain the regular is too big, although my understanding is that it's recently been made smaller. In short, send him your measurements and let him tell you what size you need.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 am

Perhaps I should give it another try.It wasnt so good with the nasal mask. The top strap slipped off. I tried it in the early stages of using cpap when everything was hard. The price is not a problem for me,if it worked for me I would pay double. I had to pay freight as well.

waldrepra

Post by waldrepra » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 am

I am new to this forum as of today . I have had my machine for 5 days. I have the s9 and am working on doing everything right. Only problem I am having is the open mouth syndrone.
this is an interesting thread for sure. I see everything except where one can order this strap.
the cost does not matter that much to me. There are so many kinds out there is is crazy.
I use a Swift FX nasal with the Resmed s9. I may have to go to a nasal mask and the FX is rubbing the top of my ears. Working on adjustments.
I wish I had found this forum long ago.

Thank you all for all this info.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:09 pm

waldrepra wrote:I see everything except where one can order this strap.
http://ultimatechinstrap.com/

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 am

Update on my review.

I stopped using the chin strap because I thought my bottom teeth had moved because of it.
NOW, I realize it might not have been the chin strap but my night guard.

Sometimes in our quest to stop leaking we "tighten" everything. I was doing this and thought the small (very small on me) chin strap was the problem with my teeth. I admit I panicked and stop using it.

I'm happy to see sleeping ugly and others having success with it. I will try it again at some point as I really think it's a very good product.
It did keep my mouth closed and was not as confining as it looks.

All the warnings about size are correct as far as I'm concerned. It sounds like Russ is offering custom sizes and that really will help with the size problem as the small was very small and the reg was very big. Good for Russ! He really is willing to work with people and he believes in his product.

Susan

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

DadscreepyCPAPmask

Post by DadscreepyCPAPmask » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 am

I love my UCS! I have not slept this good in many many years! I just hope it holds up to several rounds of washings. I have been washing it by hand, but it seems to fray a bit much. I suppose thats normal.