K-Y Jelly

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rusty1959

Re: K-Y Jelly

Post by rusty1959 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 am

Why do Sleep Centers push the the silicone products so much when everyone complains about the irritations. You go to the Sleep Centers and try on a mask, it don't fit right, they throw it in the trash. After they throw about 4 or 5 in the trash, you pay $100 for one and leave. LOL. Like, what about the ones in the trash? You charge me this friggin much? Must be paying for the ones in the trash too!!! Now ..... Why push the silicone mask when they screw up your skin. Then you have to go and buy liners, creams, KY Jelly. Why don't they just go ahead and make a mask with a liner already on it!!!!! Oh, the silicone mask are made in China. Haven't we been seeing stuff on TV about stuff made in China is bad for you? I think they need to take the mask back to the planning board and come up with something better!!!

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Thinking about the design for a moment, you need a material that is flexible, can be washed repeatedly and is hypoallergenic. Latex fits the first two criteria, but certainly not the second. Silicone fits the first two and from most people fits the third. The only other alternative that I know of is cloth. There is a cloth mask that many people like that many people don't (seems to be like all masks): Circadiance.

I don't know why sleep centers don't use the cloth mask but the silicone options do give them a lot more variety in the hope that one might suit a particular patient. I only used three masks in my study and I took away the third one without paying for it (I was told it could!).

The $100 you were charged may be just a rule for your sleep center. Other centers may have different rules.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 am

rusty1959 wrote: Why push the silicone mask when they screw up your skin.

Hundreds of thousands of people, including myself, have been using silicone masks for years without any skin problems.

I am all for products that help those that have problems with the silicone, but don't mess with what works for most of us.

(Are you really sure it is the silicone? It is very rare to have an allergy to silicone. Is your face washed with an appropriate soap before donning the mask? Is your mask kept clean?)