best pillow for side sleeper

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RogerSC

Re: best pillow for side sleeper

Post by RogerSC » Sat May 30, 2015 2:07 am

Also a side sleeper using a nasal pillow mask. I used a papillow for over 3 years, and that worked pretty well for me. About 3 months ago I got a Tempurpedic neck pillow ("Large" size for the extra height for side sleeping), and have had lower leaks and more comfort since. The buckwheat hull pillow that I had was too firm for me, and I had another combination foam pillow that was also too firm. The Tempurpedic foam seems just right (sounds like Goldilocks *smile*) to me. Since I also have neck and back problems, it's always nice to find a pillow that helps with that.

marlawn

Post by marlawn » Sat May 30, 2015 6:28 am

RogerSC wrote:Also a side sleeper using a nasal pillow mask. I used a papillow for over 3 years, and that worked pretty well for me. About 3 months ago I got a Tempurpedic neck pillow ("Large" size for the extra height for side sleeping), and have had lower leaks and more comfort since. The buckwheat hull pillow that I had was too firm for me, and I had another combination foam pillow that was also too firm. The Tempurpedic foam seems just right (sounds like Goldilocks *smile*) to me. Since I also have neck and back problems, it's always nice to find a pillow that helps with that.
Is your new pillow this one?

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sun May 31, 2015 4:15 pm

jlaw3x7 wrote:I got my cpap fit pillow. I removed a gallon of stuffing. It still seems really too firm for my preference. Has anyone added foam or something else to increase the softness or comfort? If so, where did you get your stuffing?
We have extra foam available. Send me an email to discuss. sleepguy@comcast.net

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun May 31, 2015 4:40 pm

marlawn wrote:
RogerSC wrote:Also a side sleeper using a nasal pillow mask. I used a papillow for over 3 years, and that worked pretty well for me. About 3 months ago I got a Tempurpedic neck pillow ("Large" size for the extra height for side sleeping), and have had lower leaks and more comfort since. The buckwheat hull pillow that I had was too firm for me, and I had another combination foam pillow that was also too firm. The Tempurpedic foam seems just right (sounds like Goldilocks *smile*) to me. Since I also have neck and back problems, it's always nice to find a pillow that helps with that.
No, it's the neck pillow that I have:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/contoured-pi ... pillow.asp

Their side pillow didn't work for me. I tried it in a store and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Odd but true *smile*.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:50 am

[quote="Pugsy"]You are probably going to get lots of ideas as this same question has been asked many times and it all comes down to personal choice.

This is the one I use. It comes in a slightly smaller size.
http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... rch=&page=

Pugsy, can you give a description of the pillow you are referring to in your message? I can't open the link (says something like "oops, not working..etc.).
I'm using a new Google Chromebook while regular pc is in the shop for repairs. Not sure if I'm limited to what I can access on this chromebook.

I would like to try a new pillow (hopefully with a shorter height due to a shorter neck). Thanks for your help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 am

MagsterMile wrote:Pugsy, can you give a description of the pillow you are referring to in your message? I can't open the link (says something like "oops, not working..etc.).
I'm using a new Google Chromebook while regular pc is in the shop for repairs. Not sure if I'm limited to what I can access on this chromebook.

I would like to try a new pillow (hopefully with a shorter height due to a shorter neck). Thanks for your help.
It's not your computer...mine won't open the link either but obviously it did when I created the link.
I just tried because I wanted to see what I was referencing and I think it was the "King" size vs a more regular size bed pillow....king length and width thing and not height.
Back when I got my very first Regenisis buckwheat pillow from Pur-Sleep the only size that was available was more of a standard size.
That pillow has gone through some improvements and now this is what it has become
http://www.pur-sleep.com/shop/cpap-bed- ... illow.html
and I now also have that pillow...main difference is that it isn't so small length X width thing.

The height of the buckwheat pillows is adjustable depending on how many hulls (and now foam is included) and how you position the hulls to create the height needed or wanted.

I am not a very big woman...not quite 5 ft now (I have shrunk with the years) and small boned so my shoulders and stature is "small". I also have a metal plate in my neck and even though my neck isn't "short" it has some pretty significant limitations in range of motion. My neck pretty much has to always be "straight" or it gets mad and hurts.
Obviously when I sleep on my side (my preferred position) the height of the bed pillow to keep my neck straight with the rest of my spine isn't going to be the same height as when I am on my back (and I do seem to migrate there on fairly frequent occasions) so the buckwheat hulls let me make the height just right to keep my neck straight.

Pretty much all the store bought bed pillows are too "tall" for me...even a 3 inch in height bed pillow. Now if I was a big strapping 6 ft person with big shoulders then it's quite possible that even 3 inches in height wouldn't be enough.

SleepGuy (the guy from Pur-Sleep and this product) is wanting more beta testers for another improvement to his pillow.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105304&start=15
See his last post in this thread.
See if you can convince him that you would be a good candidate...

FWIW...the picture at the link above shows a guy on his side and the pillow looks quite tall. That has to be with maximum hulls and foam to get that height...mine isn't near that tall.
The beauty of the hulls though...you move them around and create your own perfect height for whatever sleep position you choose.
If you prefer a lower profile (height) you will stand a better chance of attaining it with the hulls.
The hull noise has never been an issue for me...once I position the hulls just like I want them they don't move and no noise is created.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JTPerrrine

Post by JTPerrrine » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:48 pm

I am a side sleeper with a nasal mask. I just purchased a buckwheat queen size from "72 Beans" thru Amazon in mid April. It is a lot of pillow and very heavy but so far I love it. The quality is really solid. I feel cooler and find myself switching positions a lot less then my down pillow. My leak rate is lower as it easily shapes and makes space for the mask. There is a slight rustling sound when you move that might be bothersome to others. The firmness can be adjusted by adding or removing husks.
Jack

marlawn

Post by marlawn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:08 am

RogerSC wrote:
marlawn wrote:
No, it's the neck pillow that I have:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/contoured-pi ... pillow.asp

Their side pillow didn't work for me. I tried it in a store and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Odd but true *smile*.
Ah, that is interesting, I had not thought of their pillow. I did receive my CPAP pillow though and I am very very happy with it. Thanks to the guy on this forum who developed it. It was a great idea to do this for the community, since through personal experience he or she can design such a better pillow. I think so anyway. Because the article was a bit hard to find on the website, just for reference for anyone else who might want to buy this pillow this is the link.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:36 am

marlawn wrote:Ah, that is interesting, I had not thought of their pillow. I did receive my CPAP pillow though and I am very very happy with it. Thanks to the guy on this forum who developed it. It was a great idea to do this for the community, since through personal experience he or she can design such a better pillow. I think so anyway. Because the article was a bit hard to find on the website, just for reference for anyone else who might want to buy this pillow this is the link.
Marlawn, thanks for this reference. I was not aware of it!

jlaw3x7

Post by jlaw3x7 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 pm

That's exactly how I sleep. I am not sure if you can tell but there is a pillow between my knees with the arthritis and all...

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:02 am

jlaw3x7 wrote:I got my cpap fit pillow. I removed a gallon of stuffing. It still seems really too firm for my preference. Has anyone added foam or something else to increase the softness or comfort? If so, where did you get your stuffing?
Additional foam is available on amazon at nominal cost. Send me a pm or email if you want a link. The new pillow cover also really helps to solve the comfort issue (available now only in the Form-Fit brand).

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

I gotta say that I used feather pillows since I started using pillows. I was up to 3 or 4 stacked and then started getting neck and shoulder pain recently on the side I sleep on. I got the pillow Pugsy spoke about http://www.pur-sleep.com/shop/cpap-bed-pillow.html and love it! After one night my pain was gone. I had tried a memory foam pillow and even a standard one but I guess I just wasn't supporting my neck properly. I think once I started using nasal pillows I stopped moving in my sleep which may have contributed to my pain upon waking up. It's weird coz I sleep on a waterbed which means there are no pressure areas on the mattress. I did break the shoulder that was hurting bad enough where they wanted to put a pin or screw in it but that was when I was 17. Anyway, the hulls and foam make for a comfy place to lay my head. One of my cats wholeheartedly agrees
Morbius, are you bored?

jlaw3x7

Post by jlaw3x7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:00 am

Sleepguy, I am not likely to purchase anything else from you as a dissatisfied customer. You have a chance to make it right, but are not taking advantage of the opportunity. If you truly believe the cover solves the comfort issue you should have already sent me one right away at no charge. A cover and extra foam would have been even more of the right thing to do to take care of your customer. I already paid a premium price for the pillow. Why you think I should pay more is beyond me.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 am

jlaw3x7 wrote:Sleepguy, I am not likely to purchase anything else from you as a dissatisfied customer. You have a chance to make it right, but are not taking advantage of the opportunity. If you truly believe the cover solves the comfort issue you should have already sent me one right away at no charge. A cover and extra foam would have been even more of the right thing to do to take care of your customer. I already paid a premium price for the pillow. Why you think I should pay more is beyond me.
Chance to make what right? change the way the pillows are made? The website says what is included, and how it is made. As for the cover of the pillow, once you put a pillowcase on it (you do you a pillowcase right?), you wouldn't really know what type of cover the pillow had.
I already paid a premium price for the pillow.
Hmmm.. That IS the price for the pillow. It is not a premium, it is the Price for the pillow. while some did get to participate with a trial, that doesn't change what the pillow actually sells for.

I personally like the way the pillows work... for me. There is a reason why their is a huge pillow market with literally thousands of different kinds.. because people are not the same. What works for some doesn't work for others... just life.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:03 am

jlaw3x7 wrote:Sleepguy, I am not likely to purchase anything else from you as a dissatisfied customer. You have a chance to make it right, but are not taking advantage of the opportunity. If you truly believe the cover solves the comfort issue you should have already sent me one right away at no charge. A cover and extra foam would have been even more of the right thing to do to take care of your customer. I already paid a premium price for the pillow. Why you think I should pay more is beyond me.
I have no idea who you are, what you bought, where you bought it, or what your issue is or how I can help you. Please send me an email with details and I will try to make you happy. Sorry you were not included in a trial. Sleepguy@comcast.net

I can't send you anything unless I know who you are.