Wonder if I can use an old mask as a snorkel?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
McSnoresalot

Wonder if I can use an old mask as a snorkel?

Post by McSnoresalot » Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Picked up a used jet boat a couple years ago for the kids to play with - a Seadoo Speedster with twin 110hp Rotax two-strokers, it's a 60mph boat but I put a restrictor on the throttle cables to keep the kids down around 30 or so.

Anyway, every year, no matter how much I rant and rave, they manage to suck a ski rope up into the intakes. It gets up there and wraps around the drive shaft and into the jets where it gets shredded by the impellers. To get that sucker out, you have to put the boat back on the trailer and lay under it on the ground and cut it out with a knife. Lot of hassle - really ruins the day, have to get towed back to the launch, winch it back onto the trailer, etc... by the time you're done usually call it a day - bummer.

One time we got it out by swimming under the boat, holding your breath and hacking away in shifts - took us about 1-1/2 hrs but that was because each time you'd only get a little bit. I was thinking about packing a snorkel on board the boat with a long hose (about 6' should do it) to try and make it easier and was looking at the hose on Facehugger as a potential candidate and it occurred to me, why not just use an old FFM & Hose?

Would have to plug up the vent holes - think it would work though.

Leaks would REALLY be bad.

Mac

Sireneh

Re: Wonder if I can use an old mask as a snorkel?

Post by Sireneh » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, I don't like your chances.

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I lost a lot of weight and got off the hose but every so often I log back in just to see if something I might have to say could be of help. This is one of those times, my verdict is that you should not do that.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 pm

You can't snorkel very far under the surface of the water. The water pressure works against you being able to inhale from the surface. You probably won't be able to suck strong enough to get air when you're far enough under water to work on the rope.

The next time you go out, take a garden hose or even a CPAP hose, have someone hold one end above the water, stick the other end in your mouth, and see if you can actually breathe through it while you're far enough under water to work on the boat.

You wouldn't be able to use a full face mask anyway. You would have to inhale through the snorkel and exhale somewhere else. Otherwise, you'd simply be rebreathing the same air over and over. Take your hose on land, stick one end in your mouth, pinch your nose off and breathe in and out for a while. You'll soon be choking on your own CO2.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Thu May 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Sounds like your "dreaming" isn't impaired a bit! If I say this is a GOOD idea, would you put me in your will?

Your chances would be better with a clothespin on your nose and 6 ft of garden hose clamped between your teeth.

If there is still any doubt...this is a really bad idea.

Maybe you could...oh..I don't know...teach your kids to NOT run over the tow line?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu May 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks, Mac. I needed that laugh. I started laughing when I read the thread title, and didn't stop till the end of the post. Keep 'em comin', Friend.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 pm

So how many stitches did it take to sew your cheek back together after pushing on it so hard with your tongue?

McSnoresalot

Post by McSnoresalot » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

you can't snorkel very far under the surface of the water. The water pressure works against you being able to inhale from the surface. You probably won't be able to suck strong enough to get air when you're far enough under water to work on the rope.
Right - this is really the downfall of the whole plan: I would have to use the machine to push enough air (at max pressure of course) to make this work - guessing I wouldn't need the humidifier though. That would require an inverter to power it on the boat or a reaaaalllllyyyyy long extenston cord - probably just be better off with scuba gear.

Wait - I have an old Brass Mark V Navy Diving Helmet down in the basement.....maybe with a bicycle pump and old garden hose.....

Mac

Note: as someone correctly pointed out, this certainly would NOT work with a FFM - have to be Nasal mask so you could exhale.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri May 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Most CPAP machines would only work to 20 cmH2O, which is about 7.8740 inches below the surface of the water. If you stay above that, you could potentially still use the FFM and leave the vent holes open. You only need to tape up the vents if you're trying to suck the air below water level by lung power.

Maybe you could fashion an Alexander the Great style diving bell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_bell

Or just throw the kids in the water and tell them they can't get back on the boat until the job is done.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

a1albert

Post by a1albert » Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Get a bucket and a tire pump and go for it. Let your kids pump the tire pump while you cut away.

Albert