I think i may be on the edge

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Uncle_Bob

I think i may be on the edge

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm

... of actually needing CPAP My doctor thinks i should have another study or a split instead of a titration next time.
Any comments/suggestions on the following would be appreciated.

"CPAP was initiated at 5cm of water and titrated as high as 6cm of water. The apnea-hypopnea index at 6cm of water was in the normal range at 0.0"

The doc suggested i set my APAP at 5cm to 8cm with EPR of 1. But i find breathing at 5cm difficult, like its not enough pressure to fill my lungs

Twentysix

Re: I think i may be on the edge

Post by Twentysix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 pm

If I understand correctly, your doctor suggests you could do without the CPAP? Because you're borderline? I would get rid of it straight away if that were the case.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:... of actually needing CPAP My doctor thinks i should have another study or a split instead of a titration next time.
Any comments/suggestions on the following would be appreciated.

"CPAP was initiated at 5cm of water and titrated as high as 6cm of water. The apnea-hypopnea index at 6cm of water was in the normal range at 0.0"

The doc suggested i set my APAP at 5cm to 8cm with EPR of 1. But i find breathing at 5cm difficult, like its not enough pressure to fill my lungs

Given that the titration study you just had showed that it doesn't take much pressure to keep your airway nicely open, if it were me, and I found it stifling to breathe with CPAP at 5, I'd just set the machine for straight CPAP one of these ways:

6 (with EPR off or EPR during ramp only)
or
7 (with EPR off, or at fulltime EPR "1")
or
8 (with fulltime EPR at "1" or "2")

I wouldn't even bother with auto mode. I'd just go straight CPAP using one of those settings.

I would NOT "get rid of" the CPAP as the other poster suggested. Just because a relatively low pressure can keep the airway open, it doesn't mean that the airway will stay open with no pressure (no CPAP) at all. I'd want an all night baseline study before I concluded that no CPAP at all was ok. I wouldn't want a split night study. You've already had this full titration night which turned out very well. There's no reason to cut a baseline study short in order to take up time with more titration data.

5 or 6 cm isn't much, but it definitely IS "some." It's great if "some" is all it takes.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 am

Don't forget to figure in how you feel. Numbers are great, but the real test is whether or not you feel rested and alert the next day.