Which side of the filter to use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
david1955

Re: Which side of the filter to use

Post by david1955 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

"Plastic" "Firm" "Shiny" "Mesh" This is the most confusing issue!!!
The industry's definition seems to be smooth side vs. rough side which does NOT describe it clearly.
Not even the RT's know at the DME companies.
Yesterday I called 2 different companies to ask if the "Shiny" side faces in or out, and I received 2 different answers!
And from reading the above answers...I still don't know.

dayguest

Post by dayguest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

david1955

The shiny side is going to be the "mesh" side, or the plastic patterned side (depending on manufacturer). You will want to have that side facing into the machine, and the felt side (not so shiny) facing out.

dave1013

Post by dave1013 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm

I appreciate this forum! By dumb luck I had been putting that fine filter in the right way.

I look forward to exploring other areas of this forum. Thanks for being here!

lartomar2002

Post by lartomar2002 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi, first post. I get my Cpap and supplies through the VA. Being they the VA their suppliers are constantly changing. I use to get the filter with the plastic mesh on one side. Now the filters I get are fuzzy on one side and what feels like paper on the other, so which side should I have facing in?

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am

lartomar2002 wrote:Hi, first post. I get my Cpap and supplies through the VA. Being they the VA their suppliers are constantly changing. I use to get the filter with the plastic mesh on one side. Now the filters I get are fuzzy on one side and what feels like paper on the other, so which side should I have facing in?
A good educated guess if fuzzy side AWAY from the machine so paper side in).

RT4EV

Post by RT4EV » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Most of the Respironics white ultra fine filters have the Philips Respironics brand name on one side. The filter should be inserted with the brand name facing out. Replace 1-2 times a month. It is helpful to lay it against a white piece of paper to really see how dirty it is.

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 am

I don't use the white filter... just the gray one. My doc said that since I don't have allergies, I can skip that one. I had asked him about it because my DME didn't put it in when she set it up for me. Later on I found a white filter in my bag with the spare gray filter. I keep it there so if ever feel like I need it I can use it.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:16 am

Soft fuzzy side faces out towards the room air.
Some filters have a Phillips Respironics logo on them but the aftermarket filters won't.
On my Respironics filters that have the logo....the log side is the soft fuzzy side.
Not all my Respironics filters have had the logo though...that's something new from Respironics.

Last edited by Pugsy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Respironics could easily solve this problem by putting a @$%&ing diagram in their manual. I mean, really, is that asking too much?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Paralel wrote:Respironics could easily solve this problem by putting a @$%&ing diagram in their manual. I mean, really, is that asking too much?
Or by teaching people to read, maybe by reading this old post or the manuel that should/may have came with the machine. But many here aren't even able to correctly identify the equiptment they use. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Paralel wrote:Respironics could easily solve this problem by putting a @$%&ing diagram in their manual. I mean, really, is that asking too much?
it's not like it's rocket science, just like many home air conditioner (and other) filters, you have a fairly soft cushy filter material with some kind of metal, or plastic grid holding it up to keep it from sagging into the intake.

ergo, the soft side goes OUT, the structural harder stuff goes IN towards the intake hole.

see the metal mesh on the inside?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Or by teaching people to read, maybe by reading this old post or the manuel that should/may have came with the machine. But many here aren't even able to correctly identify the equiptment they use. Jim
reading is haaaaard!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm

The rather qualitative description in the manual is as clear as mud. If it was so clear and obvious, this thread would not exist, and it would also not contain posters here believing that their understanding is correct despite holding opposing points of view.

You guys really need to watch the condescension and arrogance. It is unbecoming and boorish.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Paralel wrote:The rather qualitative description in the manual is as clear as mud. If it was so clear and obvious, this thread would not exist, and it would also not contain posters here believing that their understanding is correct despite holding opposing points of view.

You guys really need to watch the condescension and arrogance. It is unbecoming and boorish.
I'm watching it... I don't see it moving very fast though..

please explain how this is not clear:
1. If you are using the white disposable ultra-fine filter, insert it into the filter area first, mesh-side facing in.
I've got one of those filters... it's got a mesh one side, and a non mesh, fuzzy filter stuff on the other.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 pm

palerider wrote:
it's not like it's rocket science, just like many home air conditioner (and other) filters, you have a fairly soft cushy filter material with some kind of metal, or plastic grid holding it up to keep it from sagging into the intake.

ergo, the soft side goes OUT, the structural harder stuff goes IN towards the intake hole.

see the metal mesh on the inside?

INFO: The reason car air filters have a metal ring inside besides form stabilazion, and XPAP's don't are the metal acts as a backfire flash suppressor, hopefully not needed in a XPAP machine. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire