*cough*cough*cough*

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: *cough*cough*cough*

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 am

OTC Cough Medicine ...or...if that is not enough a Prescription.

Suetois

Post by Suetois » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 am

I thought of that, but OTC cough medicine does nothing. The cough reflex is so essential to keeping an open airway that you need to sedate someone pretty heavily to suppress it. I suppose if I could get my hands on some with codeine in it, it might help, but I seriously doubt my doctor would prescribe it just for a cold. Are there any things I can do that would help *despite* the cough? I was thinking that pushing the humidifier up might work? I normally have it set to 3 because I get a little rainout at 4 (and a lot at 5). Would a hose cosy cut down on the rainout or is that just for keeping the air warm and cozy? (I actually prefer it cool.)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:02 am

The hose cozy will help some with the rain out at the higher humidity levels. How much? Well it depends on the other usual things that cause rain out. Room temp, humidifier setting, etc.
Sure worth a try. I have had a bit of a cold the last few days and last night I woke up coughing a whole bunch of time.
I use nasal pillow mask and I can breathe okay for the most part with a little decongestant and more humidity.

You can make a quick hose cozy of your own with just a couple of layers of fleece and some tape or rubber bands to secure it. Doesn't have to be fancy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am

Is your cough worse when you're horizontal? When I had a cold, I slept propped up on 3 pillows. I also got a room humidifier.

My cough was a "wet" cough, and I found that OTC Mucus Relief tablets (400 mg guaifensin) before bedtime really helped.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:24 am

KatieW wrote:My cough was a "wet" cough, and I found that OTC Mucus Relief tablets (400 mg guaifensin) before bedtime really helped.
I find that Mucinex (or generic) - which is what Katie uses here - works REALLY well for me when I have either a wet or dry cough. The stuff works by loosening mucus, making it a lot easier for your respiratory tract to get rid of the stuff without you having to hack away all night. You still cough, but a lot less. Be sure to stay hydrated during the day though, or it's less effective.

Make sure to get the 4-hour versions, especially if you're sensitive to decongestants. I find I can take the 4-hour version before bed and be fine, but the time-release (600 or 1200mg versions) have me wired all night =(

Edit: I forgot to add ALWAYS ask your doc about any cold meds. They can interfere with a lot of different OTC and Rx drugs.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:57 am

I just got over a one two punch of bronchitis with severe coughing (my family loves to ask if I've coughed up a lung yet). The CPAP was my greatest comfort. I switched to a FF mask (you're already doing that, I see), cranked up the humidity, and put a rubber band around the machine to hold the filter in (the back pressure from coughing will blow out the filters on a PR machine).

Interestingly, I barely coughed as long as I was on the CPAP--and I didn't need cough suppressant medications at night very often.

I was so sick that I couldn't work full days. I loved coming home and napping with the CPAP.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Suetois

Post by Suetois » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:29 pm

TalonNYC: Thank you! I took a Mucinex about an hour ago and it's made an enormous difference in how much I'm coughing. I wouldn't have tried it because it's a dry cough, but it has really helped. Now I think I'll take an afternoon nap. With the machine of course.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Glad it's working, and don't forget Katie's post too =)

Be sure if you're taking any other meds that you check with your doc, Mucinex can react with quite a few other things.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I feel for you. I've been fighting a cold/allergies/fever... something for a week now, and my stats show it.
I can't go to bed until my sinuses are clear or at least loosened, so it's Sudafed, Neti Pot, Vick's inhaler, Nyquil, Raised the humidity from 0 to 3, turned on the reptile heater, and I have even resorted to smearing Vick's inside my FX pillows! I was able to breathe thru the mask all night!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Suetois wrote:TalonNYC: Thank you! I took a Mucinex about an hour ago and it's made an enormous difference in how much I'm coughing. I wouldn't have tried it because it's a dry cough, but it has really helped. Now I think I'll take an afternoon nap. With the machine of course.
Don't forget to drink a lot of water, that's important about how Mucinex works. By the way, Robitussin or other guiafenesin cough syrups are the same medicine. Be careful not to get the cough meds that contain dextromethorphan or other ingredients unless you want them.

And, (Hops up on soapbox) be careful with some formulations of NyQuil and some other cold meds. They contain acetaminophen like Tylenol does. If you take certain medicines together, you can end up with double or triple doses of acetaminophen. You can also get in trouble if you take more than the recommended amount. Acetaminophen overdose is a VERY bad thing, and the margin between the normal dose and a dangerous dose is smaller than many other meds. Read every OTC med you take and see if it has acetaminophen (or APAP) and don't double up. Painkillers like Vicodin also contain acetaminophen, but often call it APAP. This is one case where you REALLY don't want to take more than the recommended doses.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Suetois

Post by Suetois » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Oops, I didn't mean to slight you, Katie. Thanks for the very helpful advice.

I checked the drug interactions list online. Wow! Mucinex certainly interacts with a lot of different meds. Fortunately, none of them are mine. Here's hoping a sleep like a baby (hose head) tonight.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, most folks don't realize that Mucinex is a decongestant, like Sudafed (old or new) and therefore can mess up heart meds, blood thinners, etc.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm

TalonNYC wrote:Yeah, most folks don't realize that Mucinex is a decongestant, like Sudafed (old or new) and therefore can mess up heart meds, blood thinners, etc.
I have used Mucinex myself successfully at the same time as nattokinase and serapeptase with no adverse side effects, but your mileage may vary. (Nattokinase and serapeptase have actions similar to many blood thinners but without many of the more dangerous side-effects. If you are taking any blood thinners prescribed by your doctor, you should talk with the appropriate professional before trying these.) I have to agree Mucinex is a wonder drug for deep coughs. I take the 1200 slow-release when I need it a couple hours before bed. It breaks up lung phlegm really well.

EDIT: I use Mucinex (Not Mucinex DM or Mucinex D).

You could also try a nasal rinse. I like Neilmed's saline rinse. It's great for removing pollen before sleep. Georgia is caked with about an inch of pine pollen right now.

Last edited by DreamDiver on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BusyLyn

Post by BusyLyn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 pm

TalonNYC wrote:Yeah, most folks don't realize that Mucinex is a decongestant, like Sudafed (old or new) and therefore can mess up heart meds, blood thinners, etc.
I believe that you are talking about Mucinex-D, not plain Mucinex.

Mucinex-D contains the expectorant guaifenesin as well as the decongestant pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine is the active ingredient in Sudafed, and should be avoided if you have hypertension. Plain guaifenesin is OK to take even if you have hypertension.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Actually I meant both. True, both pseudoephedrine and the PPA that replaced it in most stuff are better known for causing high blood pressure and getting you wired. Guaifenesin has a lot less interactions, and isn't a stimulant (I miss-spoke on that one). However, it can cause dizziness, nervousness and headache, and can interact with other medications (especially those eliminated through the kidneys).

That was the main reason I recommended always checking with your doc to make sure you weren't on something that could interact badly with higher-dose guaifenesin.